Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Our worst nightmare RFE.. what now?

Wikiposts

Our worst nightmare RFE.. what now?

Old Jan 26th 2004, 9:12 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our worst nightmare RFE.. what now?

Originally posted by Michi
I got both my marriage and birth certificate at my local County Clerk's office.

I got my divorce papers from my county clerk's office and had no problem. I was born in another state though, that's why I ordered my birth certificate on line. I do seem to remember paying a little extra for an official stamp though.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

tmushen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by gbfankate
My husband and I are pratically in tears because just found out we have an RFE(NOA 1 Nov 7th). I really don't know what to do because I'm in England with my husband. Our RFE was supposedly sent on Friday to my address where my mother lives. The only things I can possibly think of it being is the stupid none or n/a things, which won't make me happy considering in the instrustions it said to put n/a and my husband and I have never before been married so that would make it not applicable... Otherwise I could only think they might not of been happy with the pictures though we did our best to make them right. I have heard that some people have had trouble with birth certificates, though I thought mine was good, it sure looked official, but I'm ordering one online from the state today just incase.
I guess all I can ask is I've heard mixed information on RFE's... In some cases I've heard that they are suppose to take somewhere around 30 days but in others it seems like people have had to start all over again. Whats the truth?
I don't know what to do because to be honest my husband and I are in very bad circumstances over here. We can't possibly get our own place because we can't be tied to a lease and yet his father that we have no choiced but to live with is a very scary person. We were counting the days until we could get out of here and never have to set foot back here again... yet now have to start all over again? I just wish there was something I could do and am wondering if I or my mother should contact our congressman to see what can be done.
God please help see us through this...

Katie
I could say just stay calm and be patient which is exactly opposite of what I did but in the end which was today we were approved. Thus just wait until you receive the RFE and just respond with what is needed. You will get your approval. Hopefully MSC/NBC starts to speed up. Good luck
Old Jan 26th 2004, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

gbfankate is an unknown quantity at this point

Everyone has been through the n/a vs none debate and I don't care to go into that... but if that is it many many people have put n/a as well who were in my situation when asked to name spouses. I would have sent a divorce decree or other evidence had it applied to me... or at least that is the way I see it... but anyway all I can do is wait and see. Day to day is struglle for us here, I've already had to fight for my own health and lose my father at the age of 18 quite suddenly in the last year, it's for those reasons that I'm understandably upset about spending more time here... especially if I have to leave my husband alone here in a bad situation....
I need some advice at the moment, not critisicm... anyway

I really could use advice about if I can stay in the UK or re-entering. Can anyone help?

God bless us all,
Katie
Old Jan 26th 2004, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by tmushen
I could say just stay calm and be patient which is exactly opposite of what I did but in the end which was today we were approved. Thus just wait until you receive the RFE and just respond with what is needed. You will get your approval. Hopefully MSC/NBC starts to speed up. Good luck
Thanks for the support, I sure do hope things don't take too long.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

utopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the rough

In Texas they are issued by the state. Here is a link to the page for ordering your birth certificate. You can do it by fax if you would like. http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/bvs/registra/cert.htm

Originally posted by Michi
I got both my marriage and birth certificate at my local County Clerk's office.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 11:08 am
Mrraveltay

Leslie66 wrote:
    > Originally posted by gbfankate
    >
    >>Mine was one my mother
    >
    > got from the county years ago and I really don't know for sure, don't
    > mean to scare anyone, I did see one person on here say they sent one
    > that looked official but really they needed a state-issued... so I
    > really don't know, I don't even know what the difference is, but I'm
    > going to get another one anyway.
    >
    >
    > If it was the one that the
    > hospital gave her, that could be a problem. I have heard of people
    > getting RFE's because those are not considered "official".
    >

My Birth Cert was issued by the country, but it has a number indicating
the state registration number for the birth.

Old Jan 26th 2004, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Peachbythebeach is an unknown quantity at this point

Katie,

Try this link-the very 1st thread is FAQ's about immigration to the UK. If you don't find the answers there, do a search of the board, if still not, post a thread-the people are very helpful.

http://www.americanexpats.co.uk/cgi-...board=Marriage

Hope it helps.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 4:11 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

This is an interesting thread that is going on right now. Not exactly the same thing, but some similar issues.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=205674

Kate,

I am assuming that DCF is out of the question, no?

Leslie
Old Jan 27th 2004, 7:43 am
Kristin

Katie - I think I'm the person who posted the info about county-vs-state
issued birth certificates. That you mentioned earlier.

We got an RFE for my (the USC's) "state-issued" birth certificate in
April 2002 for my I-129f petition. This was through Nebraska. I had
never before (nor have I since) seen anyone get an RFE for this
particular reason on this group. My birth state (Indiana) directs
people looking for their "official" BCs to their county clerk's office
for a copy. Of course, the officer who reviewed our file with Nebraska
INS wanted the "state-issued" BC and the "county-issued" one was not
sufficient for him/her. There was really no way to know this - the
county-issued BC is perfectly "official". It's not the one from the
hospital, I just got it in June, 2001, and it works every time I cross
the border as proof of my citizenship. But that wasn't good enough for
the INS idiot reviewing my file. ;-)

I don't know if you're RFE is for this, but for us, it only delayed our
I-129f approval by about four weeks, although that was back in 2002.
Wait to see what the RFE is for, get whatever they want together (or
have your mom do it, since you're not there), and send it back in ASAP.
Be sure to keep a copy of the RFE letter they send you and what you
send them, of course. Good luck! Kristin

gbfankate wrote:
    > My husband and I are pratically in tears because just found out we have
    > an RFE(NOA 1 Nov 7th). I really don't know what to do because I'm in
    > England with my husband. Our RFE was supposedly sent on Friday to my
    > address where my mother lives. The only things I can possibly think of
    > it being is the stupid none or n/a things, which won't make me happy
    > considering in the instrustions it said to put n/a and my husband and I
    > have never before been married so that would make it not applicable...
    > Otherwise I could only think they might not of been happy with the
    > pictures though we did our best to make them right. I have heard that
    > some people have had trouble with birth certificates, though I thought
    > mine was good, it sure looked official, but I'm ordering one online from
    > the state today just incase.
    > I guess all I can ask is I've heard mixed
    > information on RFE's... In some cases I've heard that they are suppose
    > to take somewhere around 30 days but in others it seems like people have
    > had to start all over again. Whats the truth?
    > I don't know what to do
    > because to be honest my husband and I are in very bad circumstances over
    > here. We can't possibly get our own place because we can't be tied to a
    > lease and yet his father that we have no choiced but to live with is a
    > very scary person. We were counting the days until we could get out of
    > here and never have to set foot back here again... yet now have to start
    > all over again? I just wish there was something I could do and am
    > wondering if I or my mother should contact our congressman to see what
    > can be done.
    > God please help see us through this...
    >
    > Katie
    >
    >

Old Jan 27th 2004, 12:29 pm
Jadm

Im sorry for being stupid, but what is an RFE?

Old Jan 27th 2004, 12:49 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jadm
Im sorry for being stupid, but what is an RFE?

Request For Evidence

~SecretGarden
Old Jan 27th 2004, 5:36 pm
Mrraveltay

jadm wrote:

> Im sorry for being stupid, but what is an RFE?

Request For Evidence

Old Jan 27th 2004, 8:47 pm
US resident at last :)

mstracy is an unknown quantity at this point

As you are currently in the UK already, I assume that you have some method of supporting yourselves financially and have somewhere to stay. Even if this is all provided by a relative, you could apply for an FLR (further leave to remain) by filling in the form :-
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/fil...LR(M)Aug03.pdf

and either posting it in or if you want a faster decision, going in person to the IND office local to you.

As for accomodation, there are available, short term leases for renting so you wouldn't need to be tied to a long term contract.

I hope this helps

Good luck

Mark

Originally posted by gbfankate
Everyone has been through the n/a vs none debate and I don't care to go into that... but if that is it many many people have put n/a as well who were in my situation when asked to name spouses. I would have sent a divorce decree or other evidence had it applied to me... or at least that is the way I see it... but anyway all I can do is wait and see. Day to day is struglle for us here, I've already had to fight for my own health and lose my father at the age of 18 quite suddenly in the last year, it's for those reasons that I'm understandably upset about spending more time here... especially if I have to leave my husband alone here in a bad situation....
I need some advice at the moment, not critisicm... anyway

I really could use advice about if I can stay in the UK or re-entering. Can anyone help?

God bless us all,
Katie
Old Jan 27th 2004, 11:02 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kristin
My birth state (Indiana) directs
people looking for their "official" BCs to their county clerk's office
for a copy. Of course, the officer who reviewed our file with Nebraska
INS wanted the "state-issued" BC and the "county-issued" one was not
sufficient for him/her. There was really no way to know this - the
county-issued BC is perfectly "official". It's not the one from the
hospital, I just got it in June, 2001, and it works every time I cross
the border as proof of my citizenship. But that wasn't good enough for
the INS idiot reviewing my file. ;-)
Oddly enough, my BC, issued in Marshall County IN was perfectly fine...both for the K-1 process which we abandoned, and the DCF in Madrid. Go figure.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

Mark [/QUOTE]

Yes, thank you for the advice and the other person who posted a website for us to look at. Thankfully it looks like with this I should be able to stay with my husband, which does take off a big worry from us. Not that we really want to stay, but we're gonna do our best...

and I don't know prehaps we can get something else, I don't know. MY husband hasn't wanted to leave me alone in the situation we're in so because of this he's only done a bit of side work... Thankfully for us even if we've had major hassles with my husbands family, my family has been wonderfully supportive and we have been okay finacially thanks to their help and my trust fund(my father died in September about a month after we married). It could have been much more difficult in that respect due to my young age, but at least do have a very good "team" to support us on the other side of the pond. That is all that has kept us going and kept us sane... we have something nice to go "home" to, because to be honest my husband doesn't really consider this home anymore. The few months he spent in Texas and with my family made him never want to come home to be honest, because unfourantely his family is a pretty hard to deal with bunch.... but anyway, I digress... One way or another my husband(Phill) and I are going to get home as soon as possible. We have had trouble finding anywhere else, because we certainly can't afford a hotel for a few months, but we're going to keep trying. It is just difficult with only a foreign bank account as proof of any income....... we'll see though.
We've yet to get our RFe in the mail, but in another hour or two my mother should be getting the mail back in the states and I hope it is delivered with that... I'm on edge until I know what it is about. I hope it is easy, but I worry that we will have to at least take the time to deal with it that it takes to fedex things back and forth.... do you think it taking 5 or 6 days for my mother to send it back will slow us down further?? How much does it matter how long it takes to get sent back? I just want to get this over with as fast as possible...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.