Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Our Ordeal Coming to an End...? (looong post)

Wikiposts

Our Ordeal Coming to an End...? (looong post)

Old May 5th 2002, 3:40 pm
Steve Hubbard

Default Our Ordeal Coming to an End...? (looong post)

I-130/K-3 Timeline Married Jan 18, 2001 Manila, Philippines Filed I-130 with NSC Apr
21, 2001 Rec'd 1st NOA May 25th, 2001 Tired of waiting to hear anything and fearing a
super slowdown after
9/11... Filed I-129f/K-3 with MSC Oct 8,2001 Rec'd 1st K-3 NOA Oct 21st, 2001 Rec'd
2nd NOA on I-130 Nov 8th, 2001 Leaving for Christmas and extended vacation thru
mid Feb...hanging my hat on hopes that the K-3 will be faster... RFE (Request
for Evidence/K-3) received on Nov 25th...my birth certificate was not included
(so they say) in the K-3 packet I submitted...a big set back!...submitted it via
Fed Ex that day...

I boarded a plane for the Philippines on Dec 23rd with a briefcase full of
paperwork...all of the Affidavit of Support docs and the like...my wife had worked
ahead and secured her passport (we hired a reputable travel agency to do this...it's
cheap and worth every penny)...I never rec'd a K-3 approval/2nd NOA and didn't worry
about it...called the US Embassy Toll Line in the P.I. to order the K-3 packet and
received that on Jan 5th...we had every base covered except ONE...there was an error
on her child's birth certificate that was never corrected...the child was placed with
a relative (adopted but not legally) at birth...relative changed the childs last name
(not legally) to their last name...Argh...a real mess!! The checklist of materials to
be submitted states that the visa applicant "must submit a certified copy of
dependent child's birth certificate" so we took a chance and elected not to submit it
since the child was legally not a dependent...the other reason for this was the Civil
Registrar told us it would take well over a month to get the error corrected...St
Lukes medical exam was successfully completed on Jan 25th, 2002 and our packet was
submitted to them at that time...I left for the USA sad, frustrated and alone on Feb
15th, 2002 having to leave my Sweety behind as her visa had not been approved
yet...March 5th, 2002 my wife received a letter from the US Embassy stating our case
had been "Placed under administrative review" and that she needed to submit
additional documents...child's certified birth certificate, her (my wife's) school
records, and her baptismal neither of which were indicated on the Embassy's checklist
of items to submit (I suggest you include them and force the examiner to take them if
they decline)...I hired an Attorney in Manila who is an acquaintance of the family to
work through the child's birth record issue as well as prepare legal affidavits
regarding the relinquishment of custody of the child....This past Friday May 4th my
wife took possession of all the legal documents and she will submit those to to the
Embassy appointed courier on Tuesday May 8th...I also sent my wife a letter from my
Congresswoman who addressed the Embassy on our behalf explaining the issues of our
case which will be submitted as well...Wish us luck...somehow I think we'll need
every bit of it...this is just soooo much fun!...best wishes to everyone in this NG
and thanks for reading my loooong post...

Steve & Cheche (US/Philippines)

Old May 6th 2002, 10:10 am
Jeffrey Scharpf

Default Re: Our Ordeal Coming to an End...? (looong post)

dude.. man I'm sorry.. hope things work out for you finally!

Old May 10th 2002, 2:20 pm
Chris Anderson

Default Re: Our Ordeal Coming to an End...? (looong post)

Are you bringing the child ? Or is the child staying ?

I am just wondering what your problems were. I thought the kids shouldn't be a
problem - wether they stayed or came along.

I can see a big problem if your K-3 ( I-129F ) application is not approved.

Anyway - hope you got it all worked out.

[email protected] (Steve Hubbard) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I-130/K-3 Timeline Married Jan 18, 2001 Manila, Philippines Filed I-130 with NSC
    > Apr 21, 2001 Rec'd 1st NOA May 25th, 2001 Tired of waiting to hear anything and
    > fearing a super slowdown after
    > 9/11... Filed I-129f/K-3 with MSC Oct 8,2001 Rec'd 1st K-3 NOA Oct 21st, 2001 Rec'd
    > 2nd NOA on I-130 Nov 8th, 2001 Leaving for Christmas and extended vacation
    > thru mid Feb...hanging my hat on hopes that the K-3 will be faster... RFE
    > (Request for Evidence/K-3) received on Nov 25th...my birth certificate was not
    > included (so they say) in the K-3 packet I submitted...a big set
    > back!...submitted it via Fed Ex that day...
    >
    > I boarded a plane for the Philippines on Dec 23rd with a briefcase full of
    > paperwork...all of the Affidavit of Support docs and the like...my wife had worked
    > ahead and secured her passport (we hired a reputable travel agency to do
    > this...it's cheap and worth every penny)...I never rec'd a K-3 approval/2nd NOA and
    > didn't worry about it...called the US Embassy Toll Line in the P.I. to order the
    > K-3 packet and received that on Jan 5th...we had every base covered except
    > ONE...there was an error on her child's birth certificate that was never
    > corrected...the child was placed with a relative (adopted but not legally) at
    > birth...relative changed the childs last name (not legally) to their last
    > name...Argh...a real mess!! The checklist of materials to be submitted states that
    > the visa applicant "must submit a certified copy of dependent child's birth
    > certificate" so we took a chance and elected not to submit it since the child was
    > legally not a dependent...the other reason for this was the Civil Registrar told us
    > it would take well over a month to get the error corrected...St Lukes medical exam
    > was successfully completed on Jan 25th, 2002 and our packet was submitted to them
    > at that time...I left for the USA sad, frustrated and alone on Feb 15th, 2002
    > having to leave my Sweety behind as her visa had not been approved yet...March 5th,
    > 2002 my wife received a letter from the US Embassy stating our case had been
    > "Placed under administrative review" and that she needed to submit additional
    > documents...child's certified birth certificate, her (my wife's) school records,
    > and her baptismal neither of which were indicated on the Embassy's checklist of
    > items to submit (I suggest you include them and force the examiner to take them if
    > they decline)...I hired an Attorney in Manila who is an acquaintance of the family
    > to work through the child's birth record issue as well as prepare legal affidavits
    > regarding the relinquishment of custody of the child....This past Friday May 4th my
    > wife took possession of all the legal documents and she will submit those to to the
    > Embassy appointed courier on Tuesday May 8th...I also sent my wife a letter from my
    > Congresswoman who addressed the Embassy on our behalf explaining the issues of our
    > case which will be submitted as well...Wish us luck...somehow I think we'll need
    > every bit of it...this is just soooo much fun!...best wishes to everyone in this NG
    > and thanks for reading my loooong post...
    >
    > Steve & Cheche (US/Philippines)