Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Our journey & CR1 Interview (Wednesday 23rd in London)

Our journey & CR1 Interview (Wednesday 23rd in London)

Old May 17th 2012, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

InSearchofFog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Our journey & CR1 Interview (Wednesday 23rd in London)

Hi everyone,

My wife is the USC, we began this whole process on August 15 2011 when we submitted the I-130 and I am now due to attend the interview at the London Embassy on Wednesday 23rd May at 8am (we have arranged for my wife to attend too).

In November 2011 we received a 'Request for further information' letter which stated that they wanted further evidence that ours was a 'genuine bona fide marriage' -- we had only just got married a month previously in a registry office in London, although we have since booked a larger ceremony in San Francisco on Oct 13 2012 to celebrate properly.

They wanted: 3 affidavits from people we knew personally and an affidavit from my wife explaining how we met and the circumstances of our relationship etc & photocopies of commingling assets.

We sent affidavits from my Mother, the guy who will be the best man at our 'real' wedding (who lives in London too) and my wife's US Aunt who lives in London. We also sent a photo of both of us (including ones with those who wrote the affidavits), with description, for each of the 6 years we have been together along with joint bank account statements and also joint phone bills and confirmation of the receipt for the wedding venue in San Francisco (as we are renting and don't have many assets!)

Anyway, the I-130 was approved, I then got my police certificate (no trace) and had my medical exam at Bentick Mansions at the beginning of March. They told me that they would call within 2 days if there were any problems with the exam (so I assume I have passed the requirements for the medical...). A week later I sent in the forms DS230 (I/II) and DS2001. After not receiving their letter for an interview, I called and found out that my interview had been the day before!

Anyway, after obtaining a pass code fro the consulate and once again spending lots of money on the expensive phone line, we have now managed to re-schedule it and after reading many of your posts over the last few days, which have been really useful, I still have a couple of questions that I was hoping someone may be able to help with.......

(1) Wife's Domicile Status

My wife has been living legally in the UK for 7 years now (we met 6 years ago). Originally on a BUNAC visa after university, then sponsored by US employer in UK, then completed an MA and now currently on a 2 year 'unmarried partnership visa' (expires Jan 2013, UK Home Office) as I was finishing a course and we weren't married at that point.

We think that everything is in order and we are mainly just a bit worried about my wife's domicile status. My wife has taken the following steps, which we will take with us to the interview:

--Maintained a US mailing address throughout time in the UK (bank/student loan statements)
--Maintained a US bank account (money being transferred in every month for last year, now $4,000)
--Registered to vote again 8 months ago and voted
--Statement from UK bank showing that savings account is now closed
--Correspondence from recruitment agencies in San Francisco registering her on their books for return in August.
--Letter from landlord which states that we have given notice and we have a rolling monthly contract as we are leaving for the US shortly
--Shipping cost quotes
--Contract from my in-laws stating that we will be renting the downstairs apartment of their home temporarily until we find our own place. Signed by all 4 of us and shows that we will pay rent and make payments towards bills etc.

Do you think this is enough?

My wife is 29 and we don't really have any assets nor was it possible for her to actually secure a job offer from the UK. In addition we are staying with her parents for a couple of months whilst we look for a place to rent as we cannot rent a property from over here without seeing it first.

(2) Interview attire and keys etc

Do you think it is necessary to wear a suit (without tie)? or shall I just dress in smart casual wear?

Is it true that you cannot take in keys to the embassy? What about coins, wallets etc? I can't find any information on their website and I have read about using Gould's pharmacy but the interview is at 8am and it only opens at 7.30am.....I think I have read that a few of you just took all your documents in a plastic wallet, should I just leave my phone at home then and hide the keys in the front garden?

I know that it's a bit of a long email but any guidance would be much appreciated!

Thanks.
Old May 17th 2012, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our journey & CR1 Interview (Wednesday 23rd in London)

Originally Posted by InSearchofFog
Do you think this is enough?
Good list! Has she continued to file a US tax return each year?

Do you think it is necessary to wear a suit (without tie)? or shall I just dress in smart casual wear?
You don't need to wear a suit. Business casual is fine.

I have read about using Gould's pharmacy but the interview is at 8am and it only opens at 7.30am...
You'll have lots of time.

Ian
Old May 17th 2012, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=ian-mstm;10066670]Good list! Has she continued to file a US tax return each year?

Thanks Ian. She wasn’t required to for 2007 or 2008 (as was student/not earning enough) but did for 2009, 2010 and 2011 and have copies of all 3.

Okay, will wear smart casual and I suppose that one of us can pop to Gould's whilst the other is waiting in line.

Thanks for the quick response by the way!
Old May 17th 2012, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

As far as I'm aware, you're allowed to take keys, coins, wallets etc. What you're not allowed is any electronics. People get caught out because that includes, for instance, the electronic car key fob and USB sticks which people often carry on their keys.

Good luck with everything. Sounds like you have everything you need.

James
Old May 17th 2012, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, I hope so. I see you're up in Newcastle, nice town, I had a good few years studying up there about 10 years ago!
Old May 17th 2012, 3:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I know that it's a bit of a long email but any guidance would be much appreciated!

Thanks.
You didn't mention the I-864 Affidavit of Support, are you good to go on that point? Your wife is your sponsor (even if she doesn't qualify), and you have an I-864 and their backup evidence from a Joint Sponsor in the USA? Or perhaps an I-864A from a contributing household member?

Rene
Old May 17th 2012, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Yes, my wife has completed an I-864 and although her current UK income is over 125% of the poverty guidelines this income source won't continue so is technically irrelevant, I believe. Therefore, we have an I-864 from her Father (with supporting documents) and an I-864a completed by her Mother.

Do you think we'll be alright and do you agree with Ian on the domicile status aspect?

Thanks for your help.
Old May 17th 2012, 4:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, my wife has completed an I-864 and although her current UK income is over 125% of the poverty guidelines this income source won't continue so is technically irrelevant, I believe. Therefore, we have an I-864 from her Father (with supporting documents) and an I-864a completed by her Mother.

Do you think we'll be alright and do you agree with Ian on the domicile status aspect?

Thanks for your help.
Sounds good to me!

Rene
Old May 17th 2012, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Your wife is your sponsor (even if she doesn't qualify financially)...
Fixed it for you!

Ian
Old May 17th 2012, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Fixed it for you!

Ian
Thanks...I keep forgetting that all-important word!

Rene
Old May 17th 2012, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, I hope so. I see you're up in Newcastle, nice town, I had a good few years studying up there about 10 years ago!
Yeah, that's what I came for in 2005 and never quite got around to leaving. Not for another few months anyway.

Do let us know how everything goes at the interview. It eases our minds to read that people are making it through
Old May 17th 2012, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone, you're so much more helpful that the premium 'info' line!

I'll definitely post a detailed account of the interview and that's also partly why I gave a lot of detail about the process we'd been through as I'd found it really helpful to read the specific details of previous posts!
Old May 17th 2012, 7:53 pm
CR1 VISA

Brucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud of

My interview was last year.

There were people in front of me in the queue who were not allowed to bring their keys into the embassy, headphones too. I remember an old post here where a lassie hid hers under a bush and picked them up afterwards.
The only metal I had on me was my belt, I had to remove it for the scanner, but I could put it back on afterwards.
Old May 17th 2012, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Brucky, I think we're just going to leave everything in the pharmacy........can't take the risk of one of those mischievous little squirrels scurrying off with our keys gripped tightly between their teeth!
Old May 17th 2012, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

Thanks everyone, you're so much more helpful that the premium 'info' line!
I'm not surprised... everyone here has been through the process at one time or another - unlike those who answer the phone!

Ian