Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Our experience trying to file AOS and get interim EAD - Albuquerque

Wikiposts

Our experience trying to file AOS and get interim EAD - Albuquerque

Old Oct 27th 2004, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Buendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the rough
Default Our experience trying to file AOS and get interim EAD - Albuquerque

Hello everyone!

Well, we just returned from Albuquerque, so I'm posting our experience trying to file our AOS paperwork (adjusting from K3 visa) and trying to get an interim EAD (day 92 since NOA date). We weren't very hopeful about the EAD after reading Stephiefrank's experience with the Albuquerque field office, so at least we were forewarned.

When we got there, the security guards were very nice, and let me come in with David. But seeing David's last name was Moore, they said with mock alarm: "You're not related to Michael Moore are you?" Which he isn't, but so what if he was? I kept quiet, though, and David said "no" and they continued to be nice.

We waited about 15 mins. until our name was called. (Some people had numbers, but we'd made our appt. through Infopass). Either way the wait was very short.

We went up to the window and handed her our I-485 paperwork first. The woman at the counter was very nice and polite, but informed us that they don't take I-485's in person, only by mail. (And of course, it doesn't say this anywhere on the USCIS website under the Albuquerque link, and I made our appt. to "submit a form" through Infopass). She offered to look at our forms to make sure everything was there (which I definitely appreciated) and put them in the Albuquerque field office's preferred order, and proceeded to mix everything up. The cover letter ended up on the bottom! But we're happy to have things a bit disorganized if they like it that way!

She then said that we needed to have two additional photos of David (we only had the two that the I-485 instructions called for) and also two photos of me, the USC (which I can't find in the instructions anywhere). Has anyone experienced this "extra photo" requirement?

We took our I-485 stuff back from her, and then told her we were also requesting an interim EAD. She gave us an I-765 form (the same one we'd already submitted to Chicago) and told us to write "Interim" at the top, fill it out, and submit this (with a copy of the I-765 NOA with biometrics stamp and a note explaining why we wanted an Interim EAD) along with our mailed AOS forms.

I asked "When will we receive the Interim EAD?" (thinking positive!) and was told 2 to 3 weeks. So we'll see.

We immediately went to Walgreens for more photos, and later, after filling out forms and putting things together, went to the post office and sent it off, priority certified mail. Which is funny because the paperwork the woman would not take today will most likely arrive back on her desk tomorrow.

The best part of the day was that we were able to meet up with Stephiefrank and her husband at a nearby cafe!
Old Oct 27th 2004, 11:49 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all
Default Re: Our experience trying to file AOS and get interim EAD - Albuquerque

Originally Posted by Buendia
Hello everyone!

Well, we just returned from Albuquerque, so I'm posting our experience trying to file our AOS paperwork (adjusting from K3 visa) and trying to get an interim EAD (day 92 since NOA date). We weren't very hopeful about the EAD after reading Stephiefrank's experience with the Albuquerque field office, so at least we were forewarned.

When we got there, the security guards were very nice, and let me come in with David. But seeing David's last name was Moore, they said with mock alarm: "You're not related to Michael Moore are you?" Which he isn't, but so what if he was? I kept quiet, though, and David said "no" and they continued to be nice.

We waited about 15 mins. until our name was called. (Some people had numbers, but we'd made our appt. through Infopass). Either way the wait was very short.

We went up to the window and handed her our I-485 paperwork first. The woman at the counter was very nice and polite, but informed us that they don't take I-485's in person, only by mail. (And of course, it doesn't say this anywhere on the USCIS website under the Albuquerque link, and I made our appt. to "submit a form" through Infopass). She offered to look at our forms to make sure everything was there (which I definitely appreciated) and put them in the Albuquerque field office's preferred order, and proceeded to mix everything up. The cover letter ended up on the bottom! But we're happy to have things a bit disorganized if they like it that way!

She then said that we needed to have two additional photos of David (we only had the two that the I-485 instructions called for) and also two photos of me, the USC (which I can't find in the instructions anywhere). Has anyone experienced this "extra photo" requirement?

We took our I-485 stuff back from her, and then told her we were also requesting an interim EAD. She gave us an I-765 form (the same one we'd already submitted to Chicago) and told us to write "Interim" at the top, fill it out, and submit this (with a copy of the I-765 NOA with biometrics stamp and a note explaining why we wanted an Interim EAD) along with our mailed AOS forms.

I asked "When will we receive the Interim EAD?" (thinking positive!) and was told 2 to 3 weeks. So we'll see.

We immediately went to Walgreens for more photos, and later, after filling out forms and putting things together, went to the post office and sent it off, priority certified mail. Which is funny because the paperwork the woman would not take today will most likely arrive back on her desk tomorrow.

The best part of the day was that we were able to meet up with Stephiefrank and her husband at a nearby cafe!

That really sucks, so they have no info about handing in the I-485 and you arrive and they refuse it, arrrggghhh,,, and still no EAD either. What was with the extra pics? How many had you of David? At least they are no longer ADIT and so the cost is less.

I think previously you posted that the local office timeline is pretty fast? If so maybe this will only be a slight hiccup in the process.

Patrick
Old Oct 27th 2004, 1:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Now if you were to post the filing experience on the correct kamya site ;-) than others using Albuquerque will know what the procedure was in 2004. Just a gentle reminder of that particular experience site and its continual need for updating.

Rete

Originally Posted by Buendia
Hello everyone!

Old Oct 28th 2004, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Buendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Rete
Now if you were to post the filing experience on the correct kamya site ;-) than others using Albuquerque will know what the procedure was in 2004. Just a gentle reminder of that particular experience site and its continual need for updating.

Rete
Will do, Rete, thanks for the reminder!!!