Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Our CR1 visa timeline/journey!

Wikiposts

Our CR1 visa timeline/journey!

Old Jul 30th 2018, 2:00 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our CR1 visa timeline/journey!

Originally Posted by bg1109
Thanks, Rete! Your knowledge and advice has been a big help to us during this process!
You're welcome.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

BigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bg1109
)
I'm at the NVC stage too, and I'm hoping that the CEAC website being down doesn't affect our case either... It's just so frustrating that nobody seems to know what is going on!
Old Aug 10th 2018, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

EdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond repute

A little update to our case (I'm the beneficiary on this and bg1109 is the petitioner). They have recently changed to submitting all docs electronically at NVC stage which seems to have sped the final process up somewhat.

October 8, 2017- We got married!

October 14, 2017- Mailed our I-130 package to the Chicago lockbox with the following included: A $535 check, the G-1145, I-130 and I-130A, two passport photos of myself and a copy of my birth certificate, our marriage certificate; evidence: two affidavits of support from family, a life insurance form naming me as the beneficiary, photos throughout our relationship and our wedding invitation. It’s slated to arrive Monday- fingers crossed we got everything right on the first try!

April 23, 2018: Our case has been approved at the Potomac Processing Center.

May 2, 2018: (give or take a day). Our case is received by the NVC.

June, and the first part of July: Crickets and radio silence. Upon calling the NVC to check on our case, we're told that during their transition from paper to online processing, our case was put in the incorrect paper file. Upon discovery of this, it was placed in the correct online (or electronic, whatever they call it) pile, but only behind all of the cases that had been received at the NVC in the two months since. Incredibly frustrating.

July 25, 2018: We receive via email a Notice of Visa Case Creation, giving us the case number we need access the online portal to pay our next round of fees and upload our next documents.

CEAC website down between July 25 and July 31 so couldn’t pay fees.

July 31, 2018: AOS and IV bill paid.

August 3, 2018: DS-260 and AOS submitted electronically along with supporting documentation.

August 10, 2018: Case Complete.
Old Aug 10th 2018, 7:45 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Have they sent him his US Embassy interview date? Thought the NVC does that if the I-130 is filed stateside.
Old Aug 10th 2018, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

EdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond repute

Not yet. The email we got said: NVC will work with the U.S. Embassy/Consulate General in LONDON, GRBR to schedule an interview appointment for you. Once we have confirmed an interview date, we will send a notice to you, your petitioner and attorney (if applicable).
Old Aug 10th 2018, 2:30 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Interview dates are allocated in the last days of one month and the first days of the next. You might have just missed the cut for the August allocation of September dates but hopefully not. Depending on when you get case complete you can have a long or a short wait for the interview date. I got case complete on the 20th of the month so only waited 7 days to get my interview notice.
Old Aug 26th 2018, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

A few updates to our journey, looks like we just made the cut for September interviews!

October 14, 2017- Mailed our I-130 package to the Chicago lockbox with the following included: A $535 check, the G-1145, I-130 and I-130A, two passport photos of myself and a copy of my birth certificate, our marriage certificate; evidence: two affidavits of support from family, a life insurance form naming me as the beneficiary, photos throughout our relationship and our wedding invitation. It’s slated to arrive Monday- fingers crossed we got everything right on the first try!

June, and the first part of July: Crickets and radio silence. Upon calling the NVC to check on our case, we're told that during their transition from paper to online processing, our case was put in the incorrect paper file. Upon discovery of this, it was placed in the correct online (or electronic, whatever they call it) pile, but only behind all of the cases that had been received at the NVC in the two months since. Incredibly frustrating.

July 25, 2018: We receive via email a Notice of Visa Case Creation, giving us the case number we need access the online portal to pay our next round of fees and upload our next documents.

August 3, 2018: DS-260 and AOS submitted electronically along with supporting documentation.

August 22, 2018: Notification of interview received with a date of September 25th. Also rang and booked medical for September 5th.

August 26, 2018: Registered for courier.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

Just a quick update on my medical exam which took place today. I took the train down to London Euston and as I had a bit of time and it was a nice day I decided to walk across to the medical location which took about 20 minutes. I arrived at 10:30 for my 10:50 appointment but they saw me at the desk straight away. I had to hand over all the forms they requested and they gave me another medical questionnaire to fill out along with a container for the urine sample which they said could be done at any time during the appointment.

After filling out the form and handing it back in I went to the waiting area for what seemed like quite a long wait. I was then called through to have my x-ray which was taken by a very friendly chap. After that it was a lot more waiting, during which I sorted the urine sample out and handed back to the desk. Afterwards I was called through by the doctor who asked if I had any major surgeries or had any drink or drugs problems which I do not. He then did the general exam which included a quick eye test, checked ears and mouth and took some blood.

After that it was back to the waiting room to wait for the nurse to see me about my vaccinations. When I was called through I was told my tetanus shots were out of date so this would need doing and also apparently my second MMR jab is only noted as a MR jab (no mumps) so they said they could either test the blood and see if it came back as immune and if not I would have to get the MMR jab again and send back to them or I could have it again there. To save any potential delays I decided to just have it again there.

After that I was called back to the front desk to collect my documents and pay a £420 fee (£330 for the medical itself and £90 for the two shots I had). All in all I got there at 10:30 and was out by 12:40 so a fairly long time but most of it was just waiting and they did apologize for the delay as they were very busy.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

BigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Interview dates are allocated in the last days of one month and the first days of the next. You might have just missed the cut for the August allocation of September dates but hopefully not. Depending on when you get case complete you can have a long or a short wait for the interview date. I got case complete on the 20th of the month so only waited 7 days to get my interview notice.
Hi Twinkle,

I submitted my docs online 2 weeks ago yesterday, hopefully I will get case complete in the next few days... Do you still think there is any hope of me getting an interview in October?

Thanks
T
Old Oct 4th 2018, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

A further and close to a final update for our timeline:

August 22, 2018: Notification of interview received with a date of September 25th. Also rang and booked medical for September 5th.

August 26, 2018: Registered for courier.

September 5, 2018: Attended medical - needed an MMR booster and tetanus shot which I had at the medical but no other issues and all done on the day.

September 25, 2018: Attended interview - approved and passport kept, but needed to upload W-2 onto CEAC. Did this when I got home and case was showing administrative processing.

October 4, 2018: Case status has now changed from administrative processing to issued.

Hopefully the visa will be sent back in the next few days now. I am looking at flying out on November 4th so still plenty of time for my passport to come back in any case.

One thing to note from the interview since my process has all been done through electronic processing is that the interviewing officier advised me that I will not have a package given to me by the courier like people have in the past. Instead it is all uploaded electronically so all I will have back is my passport with an annotation of IV Docs in CCD with the visa. When I arrive the immigration officier will be able to see all my files electronically and process me in that way.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 3:18 am
Just Joined

Rach_25 has a reputation beyond reputeRach_25 has a reputation beyond reputeRach_25 has a reputation beyond reputeRach_25 has a reputation beyond reputeRach_25 has a reputation beyond reputeRach_25 has a reputation beyond reputeRach_25 has a reputation beyond reputeRach_25 has a reputation beyond reputeRach_25 has a reputation beyond reputeRach_25 has a reputation beyond reputeRach_25 has a reputation beyond repute

I've found this post very informative- thank you for sharing your experience & timelines really helpful for someone considering going down this route.
Old Oct 13th 2018, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rach_25
I've found this post very informative- thank you for sharing your experience & timelines really helpful for someone considering going down this route.
Thanks, I'm glad it was of use!

I picked up my visa from the courier today so everything is now done. Tomorrow will be the 1 year mark since we mailed in our stuff to USCIS so overall I'm pretty happy with it taking the 12 months as I was expecting 12-14 months when I started the process. My flight is all booked for November 4th now as well from Heathrow to Dulles. I feel like I can finally relax and enjoy these last few weeks knowing everything is now all sorted and taken care of!

Also just to confirm, when I picked my passport up at the courier, there was no immigrant visa packet with it. Instead the instruction letter did say you will either have a visa package or your passport will have an annotation saying "IV Docs in CCD" which means your documents will be available to the immigration officials electronically. and this is what mine has endorsed on it which I'm glad about as that's one less thing to worry about!