Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

order we file papers for AOS - all forms at once?

order we file papers for AOS - all forms at once?

Old Feb 3rd 2004, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

no-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really nice
Default order we file papers for AOS - all forms at once?

I was advised here to file the following forms for my wife:
1. Form I-130: Petition for Alien Relative
2. Form I-485: Application to Register Permanent Resident or Adjust Status
3. Form I-693: Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status
(Sealed Envelope) from a registered INS doctor
4. Form I-864: Affidavit of Support under Section 213A of the Act
5. Form G325-A: Biographical Information (one for the petitioner and one for the alien)
7. Form I-765: Application for Employment Authorization
(if you want this)
8. Form I131 - Document to travel abroad (if you want this)

I am confused, is there an order that these forms need to be filed?

Are all the forms sent at one time?

My wife does not have a K-1 visa, she has a J-1 and recently expired.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 9:57 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: order we file papers for AOS - all forms at once?

n-s,

Have you looked at the USCIS web site
- Immigration Classifications and Visa Categories
- How do I Become a Lawful Permanent Resident While in the United States

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by no-spam
5. Form G325-A: Biographical Information (one for the petitioner and one for the alien)
(if you want this)

Old Feb 3rd 2004, 10:34 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

(if you want this)

Hi No spam!!

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/legpermres.htm
Hope that helps!!
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

no-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really nice

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Hi No spam!!

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/legpermres.htm
Hope that helps!!

Thank you for the link.
Yes, I've been all over the web, all over the BCIS website, and all over the forum here, but the fact of the matter is, there is no, clear cut "answer" on the order of filing the paperwork.

From what I have read, it appears that, we should file form I-130. We then have to wait 6-8 weeks until we receive a reply on the I-130 in order to file the I-485 so that we may attach a copy of what we received on the I-130 per the instructions on the I-485.
Is that the case?

The other question about when to file, has to do with the I-765, Employment Authorization document. At what point can we file the I-765?
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:41 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the link.
Yes, I've been all over the web, all over the BCIS website, and all over the forum here, but the fact of the matter is, there is no, clear cut "answer" on the order of filing the paperwork.

From what I have read, it appears that, we should file form I-130. We then have to wait 6-8 weeks until we receive a reply on the I-130 in order to file the I-485 so that we may attach a copy of what we received on the I-130 per the instructions on the I-485.
Is that the case?

The other question about when to file, has to do with the I-765, Employment Authorization document. At what point can we file the I-765?

How about this?

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/LPRApplication.htm
I havent looked into AOS since I have just got my K3 visa (Spousal visa), hope that helps!!
Good luck!
Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

JubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant future

Call the USCIS call center, and find out where you need to file (this will be either a local office or a service center), with marriage based AOS usually you can file all of them simultaneously in person at your local district office. The call center will be able to tell you.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by JubJub
Call the USCIS call center, and find out where you need to file (this will be either a local office or a service center), with marriage based AOS usually you can file all of them simultaneously in person at your local district office. The call center will be able to tell you.

Thanks, I'm doing that now. I've tried to call the number at least 5 times before, but once I finally found the menu to connect to a live person, I was cut off...... The line disconnected.

I'm having better luck now..... been on hold 5 minutes.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

I finally got through to a live and helpful person!

The BCIS call center told me that since it is a marriage based filing, we could send ALL the forms in at one time. But they told me that my particular state office would only accept the forms through the mail or fedex.

Since this office accepts only through the mail, then personal checks aren't accepted. Only cashier checks and Money Orders.

BCIS rep gave me the list of forms to file at one time:
I-130,
G325-A, one for each of us, include two photographs, marriage certicate, birth certificate copy.

for the foreign born spouse
I-485 at the same time needs two photographs of herself
also the form I-693 medical
I-864 Affidavit of support must be notorized.
I-765 needs two photographs of my wife

The BCIS call center staffer explained that since I would file all the paperwork at one time, the section on I-485 concerning attaching a copy of the immediately available number from form I-130 doesn't apply. The staffer said to leave that blank and the person handling the paperwork will fill that in when they receive the packet of forms.

Another thing the rep. said, was DO NOT put the J-1 Waiver "A" number on the I-485. To put "n/a" instead. (I found a reference on the web about putting the waiver number into this form but the rep. said that is wrong.)