Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Options: Different ConOff, IF K3 denied & How to Get the ConOff to Review your Papers

Wikiposts

Options: Different ConOff, IF K3 denied & How to Get the ConOff to Review your Papers

Old Dec 8th 2003, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Khadija is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Options: Different ConOff, IF K3 denied & How to Get the ConOff to Review your Papers

I know I'm along way from denial yet, but, since right now my cup is half empty vs. full, I'd like to know what happens worst case.

If we are denied the K3, do we get another "turn at bat" with Cairo when our I-130 eventually makes its way there?

On a related issue, someone mentioned you have the right to request a different Consular Officer if you're to have another interview. I want to confirm a) if this is possible and b) how does one do this without jeopardizing their chances for success?

Lastly, I would be most anxious to hear from those of you who've had interviews where the ConOff has ignored your evidence (a la myself and Richard III). What did you do to get it in front of them? Did the ConOff eventually ask to see it? Or, did you have to take proactive steps to bring to their attention?

Thanks,

Patty Khadijah
Old Dec 8th 2003, 4:31 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Options: Different ConOff, IF K3 denied & How to Get the ConOff to Review your Pa

Originally posted by Khadija
I know I'm along way from denial yet, but, since right now my cup is half empty vs. full, I'd like to know what happens worst case.

If we are denied the K3, do we get another "turn at bat" with Cairo when our I-130 eventually makes its way there?

On a related issue, someone mentioned you have the right to request a different Consular Officer if you're to have another interview. I want to confirm a) if this is possible and b) how does one do this without jeopardizing their chances for success?

Lastly, I would be most anxious to hear from those of you who've had interviews where the ConOff has ignored your evidence (a la myself and Richard III). What did you do to get it in front of them? Did the ConOff eventually ask to see it? Or, did you have to take proactive steps to bring to their attention?

Thanks,

Patty Khadijah
Hi:

Back when I did a lot consular IV work in Seoul -- we would end up working with the Chief of the IV section. We never worked with the intial ConOff. In fact, the preference was that you NOT deal with the guy who first said no.

I had pretty good luck in getting him/her to overrule dubious denials.

However, once we tried to overcome a pretty righteous denial [employment based case where consular investigator found claimed qualifying experience was bogus] and after we got the formal denial, I received an e-mail [in the early days of such things] to the effect "nice try". Actually, that ConOff and I have since become friends and we have some mighty interesting "if I were King" discussions.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Options: Different ConOff, IF K3 denied & How to Get the ConOff to Review your Pa

Am I understanding you correctly that one need only request in writing that a different officer review the file? When is this done? We're not even absolutely sure if they're going to call him in for another interview. The initial interview say maybe and they'd be in touch. She's also the same one who gave bluesails husband less than a week's notice for his second interview. Is there anyway I can preempt such short notice scheduling?

Thanks,
Patty

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Back when I did a lot consular IV work in Seoul -- we would end up working with the Chief of the IV section. We never worked with the intial ConOff. In fact, the preference was that you NOT deal with the guy who first said no.

I had pretty good luck in getting him/her to overrule dubious denials.

However, once we tried to overcome a pretty righteous denial [employment based case where consular investigator found claimed qualifying experience was bogus] and after we got the formal denial, I received an e-mail [in the early days of such things] to the effect "nice try". Actually, that ConOff and I have since become friends and we have some mighty interesting "if I were King" discussions.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 6:40 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Am I understanding you correctly that one need only request in writing that a different officer review the file? When is this done? We're not even absolutely sure if they're going to call him in for another interview. The initial interview say maybe and they'd be in touch. She's also the same one who gave bluesails husband less than a week's notice for his second interview. Is there anyway I can preempt such short notice scheduling?

Thanks,
Patty
Hi:

I am not familiar with processing in Cairo. Each Consular section has its own quirks and fobiles. If I represented you, I'd be in touch with colleagues on a board like this.

What you got to do is ask. Maybe, they might be nice. Maybe they won't.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

egipto26 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi khadija,
my husband had the interview in cairo. he had no problems. the person who interviewed him was an american man. he was polite, didn't seem rushed at all, and didn't sound anything like the woman that interviewed ur husband. i was there for the interview (required bc i did DCF) but i think it was very helpful that i was there standing by his side. he talked to the CO alone for a little while (5 minutes maybe). he was asked how we met, when i converted to islam, about his military exp., and he even asked him how he learned english so well. so i think we had a really fair person interviewing us.
i remember when it was my turn to talk to him he asked me about our wedding, and asked to see a few pics, and asked if we had a video of the wedding. we didnt have one but he said that is ok. i have been to egypt many times and there is no age difference btw us (both in our 20's) so i think that also helped.
try emailing them to find out whether ur husband can get another CO for the next interview (if there is a 2nd int.). I guess that is the only way to know.

i would say just relax for now, and wait until they get your tax returns. maybe that will be all they need. did u send them the stuff already, or any letters, videotape,etc? take care.

Thanks,
Patty
Old Dec 8th 2003, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Sending tax transcripts today. I have letters but might hold off on sending just a little bit longer until they have the tax transcripts in their hands.

I was told by email from the Consulate I could fax the tax information in but they've yet to give me a direct fax number. I told them as a safeguard my husband would also send the same information by TNT. So, when asked again today for the number I also proactively said if there's anything else we can send at that time... please let us know we'll be happy to comply.

I guess I have to start being a little more proactive with them in a grovelly sort of way.

Patty

Originally posted by egipto26
hi khadija,
my husband had the interview in cairo. he had no problems. the person who interviewed him was an american man. he was polite, didn't seem rushed at all, and didn't sound anything like the woman that interviewed ur husband. i was there for the interview (required bc i did DCF) but i think it was very helpful that i was there standing by his side. he talked to the CO alone for a little while (5 minutes maybe). he was asked how we met, when i converted to islam, about his military exp., and he even asked him how he learned english so well. so i think we had a really fair person interviewing us.
i remember when it was my turn to talk to him he asked me about our wedding, and asked to see a few pics, and asked if we had a video of the wedding. we didnt have one but he said that is ok. i have been to egypt many times and there is no age difference btw us (both in our 20's) so i think that also helped.
try emailing them to find out whether ur husband can get another CO for the next interview (if there is a 2nd int.). I guess that is the only way to know.

i would say just relax for now, and wait until they get your tax returns. maybe that will be all they need. did u send them the stuff already, or any letters, videotape,etc? take care.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 7:25 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I have to start being a little more proactive with them in a grovelly sort of way.

Patty
<Insert butt-kissing smilie>
Old Dec 8th 2003, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm still working on how to do that! For some reason, html code is turned off in my profile. I can only use the smilies with the typed code, e.g., :0.

You know just what to say to cheer me up!

Patty Khadijah

Originally posted by Leslie66
<Insert butt-kissing smilie>
Old Dec 8th 2003, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

khadija, their fax number is 011 202 797 2472.
i faxed stuff to the consular section at this number and it went through.

Sending tax transcripts today. I have letters but might hold off on sending just a little bit longer until they have the tax transcripts in their hands.

I was told by email from the Consulate I could fax the tax information in but they've yet to give me a direct fax number. I told them as a safeguard my husband would also send the same information by TNT. So, when asked again today for the number I also proactively said if there's anything else we can send at that time... please let us know we'll be happy to comply.

Patty
Old Dec 8th 2003, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Alhumdiallah!!! You're a life saver!!!

PK

khadija, their fax number is 011 202 797 2472.
i faxed stuff to the consular section at this number and it went through.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

i hope u can fax it so that they can have everything by tomorrow morning!

well just to let you know about someone else that i met online who was also interviewed by the male consular officer-- as i recall she (the petitioner) was about 12 yrs older than him and that did not affect anything- there were no problems and he got the visa less than a month later. so u shouldn;t worry about the age thing.
she also did DCF, so i dont know if maybe DCF people have one CO and other people get the woman based on where they filed.
just a thought.

Alhumdiallah!!! You're a life saver!!!

PK
Old Dec 8th 2003, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Working on it as we "speak". No, it's the luck of the draw. If you recall, Na'imah's husband's ConOff was a man and there were applying for a K3. We just had incredibly bad luck. Have to keep positive. We have nothing to hide, we know we're really married and we'll just keep politely pushing/groveling until we're successful.

I'm guessing if all this doesn't work the I-130 is the next opportunity to prove our case - right Matt/Folinskyinla??

Patty

i hope u can fax it so that they can have everything by tomorrow morning!

well just to let you know about someone else that i met online who was also interviewed by the male consular officer-- as i recall she (the petitioner) was about 12 yrs older than him and that did not affect anything- there were no problems and he got the visa less than a month later. so u shouldn;t worry about the age thing.
she also did DCF, so i dont know if maybe DCF people have one CO and other people get the woman based on where they filed.
just a thought.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 7:49 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Folinskyinla

What you got to do is ask. Maybe, they might be nice. Maybe they won't.

Hi Patty,

I think you should ask like Folinsky said.

Leslie
Old Dec 8th 2003, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Well, here's the plan:

Faxing tax stuff today. Also sent email to Consulate today requesting fax number again (before Egypto came to the rescue) and listed all the various kinds of evidence we have at their disposal.

Sending tax stuff plus letter from me outlining how we communicate plus letter from a business colleague who met Abdo last month stating he didn't have much difficulty communicating with him during multiple dinners and while sightseeing via UPS to my husband for him to send in via TNT.

Will have Abdo send tax stuff plus letters via TNT to Consulate.

See what happens.

If another interview is requested, we'll reply that I would like to attend but can't do so until the week of Jan 18th. I'll ask for another officer at that time.

Flaws? Suggestions?

PK

Originally posted by Leslie66
Hi Patty,

I think you should ask like Folinsky said.

Leslie