Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Is only one in-person visit OK?

Wikiposts

Is only one in-person visit OK?

Old Jul 21st 2002, 5:20 pm
Geothermal

Default Is only one in-person visit OK?

My fiance and I have been together a total of about 8months, meeting on the internet
earlier this year. We have met in person only one time, when he visited me for an
entire month, and know we want to get married. We have "proof of relationship" such
as emails, photos of us together, letters, my fiance's boarding pass from his trip,
etc. Unfortunately our finances don't allow for another visit, especially the visa
costs in addition to the airfare. Instead we need to save up for when he gets the
visa and is here for good.

Is it a problem that we've only spent time together in person once? My fiance says
that a month-long visit is more than most couples could do at one time, that it's no
different than a couple having 2 two-week visits before applying for a visa. But I'm
still worried that we'll get rejected, even though our love and relationship are
genuine. We know the visa process takes several months, so if our month-long visit is
sufficient, we'd rather just start the process now instead of putting it off just to
squeeze in another visit.

Please let me know what you think. Thank you for your help.

p.s. I don't know if this matters, but my fiance is British and we have NOT sent in
any paperwork yet.

Old Jul 21st 2002, 5:20 pm
Jerry Neslund

Default Re: Is only one in-person visit OK?

Once is enough. It sounds like you have the relationship well documented so get the
INS forms and have fun.

Geothermal wrote:

>My fiance and I have been together a total of about 8months, meeting on the internet
    >earlier this year. We have met in person only one time, when he visited me for an
    >entire month, and know we want to get married. We have "proof of relationship" such
    >as emails, photos of us together, letters, my fiance's boarding pass from his trip,
    >etc. Unfortunately our finances don't allow for another visit, especially the visa
    >costs in addition to the airfare. Instead we need to save up for when he gets the
    >visa and is here for good.
    >
    >Is it a problem that we've only spent time together in person once? My fiance says
    >that a month-long visit is more than most couples could do at one time, that it's no
    >different than a couple having 2 two-week visits before applying for a visa. But I'm
    >still worried that we'll get rejected, even though our love and relationship are
    >genuine. We know the visa process takes several months, so if our month-long visit
    >is sufficient, we'd rather just start the process now instead of putting it off just
    >to squeeze in another visit.
    >
    >Please let me know what you think. Thank you for your help.
    >
    >p.s. I don't know if this matters, but my fiance is British and we have NOT sent in
    > any paperwork yet.

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 4:20 pm
Jeffrey Scharpf

don't worry about it. My wife and I only met in person once, and that was for about 2
weeks. Believe it or not, I think some consular officers actually DO care about your
relationship and therefore will be reasonable.

Jeff

"Geothermal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > My fiance and I have been together a total of about 8months, meeting on the
    > internet earlier this year. We have met in person only one time, when he visited me
    > for an entire month, and know we want to get married. We have "proof of
    > relationship" such as emails, photos of us together, letters, my fiance's boarding
    > pass from his trip, etc. Unfortunately our finances don't allow for another visit,
    > especially the visa costs in addition to the airfare. Instead we need to save up
    > for when he gets the visa and is here for good.
    >
    > Is it a problem that we've only spent time together in person once? My fiance says
    > that a month-long visit is more than most couples could do at one time, that it's
    > no different than a couple having 2 two-week visits before applying for a visa. But
    > I'm still worried that we'll get rejected, even though our love and relationship
    > are genuine. We know the visa process takes several months, so if our month-long
    > visit is sufficient, we'd rather just start the process now instead of putting it
    > off just to squeeze in another visit.
    >
    > Please let me know what you think. Thank you for your help.
    >
    > p.s. I don't know if this matters, but my fiance is British and we have NOT sent in
    > any paperwork yet.

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 6:20 pm
Geothermal

Jerry Neslund <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Once is enough. It sounds like you have the relationship well documented so get the
    > INS forms and have fun.

Thanks so much for your response, Jerry. My fiance says I'm definitely the worry-wart
in our relationship! It's nice to hear an objective opinion, however.