Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

One year EAD picked up at San Francisco

Wikiposts

One year EAD picked up at San Francisco

Old Nov 4th 2004, 2:18 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all
Default Re: One year EAD picked up at San Francisco

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
That is what happened with my husband. Granted, he entered on a K1 so it was slightly different from your situation. He applied for his SSN the Monday after he arrived into the US. They said he wasn't in the system yet (which we expected) but that they would continue to check for 2 weeks, and if he was not in SAVE by then, then they would send off for a manual verification. He ended up getting a letter in the mail about a week later informing him that they were processing his application (hence, his name had shown up) and about a week after that he received the card in the mail. He had his card about 2 1/2 week after he entered the US.

I know your situation is a bit different, but if SF can be as fast as our little town's SSA office, then it may be worth going ahead and applying for your SSN, even if you don't get a receipt. I also think that if you get hired, you have x amount of time to give them your SSN card (as proof for the I-9). I think you have a few weeks or something after you begin working to show it to them, so if you apply now, and get a job within the next few weeks, you would probably still be ok since you have your EAD. You could check out posts that Michael D. Young has sent out about the SSN. He's our resident SSA expert.

Good luck on the job hunt! Took my hubby 3 months to find one, and that is a job 80 miles away from here! I find it amazing how 'small town USA' doesn't seem to require computer professionals. <sigh> but at least it's a job...

Cheers,
Jamie
Thanks for all the great advice.
Have started sending off applications, here in the East Bay there are a lot of IT jobs BUT there are also a lot of unemployed IT professionals also competing for them. I have worked up 3 seperate resumes for the type of jobs I have in mind and so have started working through the online job postings and emailing resumes to any that catch my eye.
We will see how long it takes to get replies, also next week gonna apply to the computer stores etc (CompUSA, Best Buy etc), any extra cash before Christmas would be very handy

Patrick