Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Which one is the visa number?

Which one is the visa number?

Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:03 am
Honorary Texan

tom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to all
Default Which one is the visa number?

Sorry to ask a retarded question, but was just wondering which number on my K1 is my nonimmigrant visa number? (Getting a head start on the i-485). Is it the 'control number' at the top-right or the number in red at the bottom-right?
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:18 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which one is the visa number?

Originally Posted by tom_1984
Is it the 'control number' at the top-right or the number in red at the bottom-right?
Yes! (either/both are NIV numbers).

Ian
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Either one will work just fine.

Rene
Old Jun 15th 2008, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to ask a retarded question, but was just wondering which number on my K1 is my nonimmigrant visa number? (Getting a head start on the i-485). Is it the 'control number' at the top-right or the number in red at the bottom-right?
Hi:

Not retarded at all -- this is actually an FAQ.

Tthe old "Bourroughs" visa stamps had a "visa no." at the top. When the old visa stamps were replaced by the MRV stickers, the actual "visa no." was eliminated. The actual sticker had a red number and the visa printed on the sticker had a "control number."

Although this change happened 13 years ago, INS and now CIS have never bothered to change the question.

So -- put either number or leave it blank. But do attach a copy of the actual visa as an exhibit.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 3:30 am
Honorary Texan

tom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to all

Ok, thanks guys! I was confused because it doesn't say 'visa number' anywhere on the sticker. I guess I'll use the red 8-digit number, because the control number has several zeros with lines through them in it.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 3:41 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, thanks guys! I was confused because it doesn't say 'visa number' anywhere on the sticker. I guess I'll use the red 8-digit number, because the control number has several zeros with lines through them in it.
Hi:

Personally, I think the "control number" is the equivalent. But the attorneys disagree on this -- and it really doesn't make a difference!

However, my reasoning is this -- back in the Burroughs visa days, many consulates would use numbered "counterfoils" which was a high security sticker which had its own number and would be affixed personally by a CONSULAR officer and not a local employee. The red number is the number of the sticker while the control number is the equivalent of the "visa number" printed on the sticker.

In "high fraud posts" the counterfoil would be put across the page divider to prevent razor blade jobs. [The visas now have the passport number which the older visas did not have]. At the high end of the fraud continuim [low-medium-high-Lagos], they not only used the counterfoil across the spine, a picture would be put on the back of the page with the visa and then an impression stamp would be used through both the visa and the picture.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 5:12 am
Honorary Texan

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Personally, I think the "control number" is the equivalent. But the attorneys disagree on this -- and it really doesn't make a difference!

However, my reasoning is this -- back in the Burroughs visa days, many consulates would use numbered "counterfoils" which was a high security sticker which had its own number and would be affixed personally by a CONSULAR officer and not a local employee. The red number is the number of the sticker while the control number is the equivalent of the "visa number" printed on the sticker.

In "high fraud posts" the counterfoil would be put across the page divider to prevent razor blade jobs. [The visas now have the passport number which the older visas did not have]. At the high end of the fraud continuim [low-medium-high-Lagos], they not only used the counterfoil across the spine, a picture would be put on the back of the page with the visa and then an impression stamp would be used through both the visa and the picture.
Do you think I should just use the control number then? It's just the number (14 digits) has some regular zeros and some with slashes (/) through them. Not sure what that's about. Is that just another zero??
Old Jun 16th 2008, 7:54 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think I should just use the control number then? It's just the number (14 digits) has some regular zeros and some with slashes (/) through them. Not sure what that's about. Is that just another zero??
Yes, either one is fine. Yes, the zero with a slash through it is a zero.

Rene