Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

once married and filng for AOS...

Wikiposts

once married and filng for AOS...

Old Jul 5th 2005, 7:09 am
THE Member

Seanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud of
Default once married and filng for AOS...

Once i am married to my then wife (USC), and i file for AOS, it is likely that we won't be living together for the 1st 3 months of marriage and in different states, as she will be finishing college in KY and I'll be in search of employment in the meantime (while waiting for EAD), where we plan to settle in IN after she has finished studying, and staying there with her parents in that time, who incidentally will be the co-sponsors for the affidavit of support.

FYI: i will be filing the AOS paperwork to obviously Chicago lockbox which will eventually be processed through the NVC and sub-office in Indianapolis

- How would/does USCIS view a situation with married couples not living together right away once married and filing for AOS?
- Would there be any additional requirements to prove that the marriage is in good faith and not just to evade the immigration authorities etc...?

Thx guys..

~S~
Old Jul 5th 2005, 7:50 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: once married and filng for AOS...

Originally Posted by Seanus
Once i am married to my then wife (USC), and i file for AOS, it is likely that we won't be living together for the 1st 3 months of marriage and in different states, as she will be finishing college in KY and I'll be in search of employment in the meantime (while waiting for EAD), where we plan to settle in IN after she has finished studying, and staying there with her parents in that time, who incidentally will be the co-sponsors for the affidavit of support.

FYI: i will be filing the AOS paperwork to obviously Chicago lockbox which will eventually be processed through the NVC and sub-office in Indianapolis

- How would/does USCIS view a situation with married couples not living together right away once married and filing for AOS?
- Would there be any additional requirements to prove that the marriage is in good faith and not just to evade the immigration authorities etc...?

Thx guys..

~S~
Hi Sean,

It's OK to be living apart for valid reasons such as you have. USCIS will understand the circumstances and shouldn't be a problem, as long as you have proof of your intent to live together when it's feasible.

As in my own situation, my husband works in LA the majority of the time, although his residence and mailing address and LIFE is in Phoenix, with me. Because of financial and family reasons, I couldn't move to LA (OMG, a comprable 2-bedroom condo was $500K!!!). And, neither of us even like LA, his plan is to somehow move his business to Phoenix as soon as possible. In the meantime, we have plenty of proof of our shared life together, joint finances, taxes, pictures, and proof that he comes home to Phoenix often.

I think you'll be just fine, nothing to worry about.

Best Wishes,
Rene