Wikiposts

Ok, what now?

Old Apr 19th 2004, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

Chessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud of
Default Ok, what now?

Hey all, my fiance finally got approved and just arrived in the US this week, YAY!!! (Time to update my sig, I guess )

Ok, his K-1 interview was in London, his POE was Dallas, and he had no troubles at all.

Only thing is, I have a nagging suspicion that he should have asked for something at the POE, like that temporary EAD stamp, or some form or something. How do we go about 1) getting him an SSN, and 2) getting him legal for employment?

Any advice will be appreciated, as you have made every step pretty smooth thus far (i.e. answering questions, letting ppl know what to expect, etc...)

Thanks!

p.s. wedding is June 27th!
Old Apr 19th 2004, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok, what now?

Originally posted by Chessiet
Hey all, my fiance finally got approved and just arrived in the US this week, YAY!!! (Time to update my sig, I guess )

Ok, his K-1 interview was in London, his POE was Dallas, and he had no troubles at all.

Only thing is, I have a nagging suspicion that he should have asked for something at the POE, like that temporary EAD stamp, or some form or something. How do we go about 1) getting him an SSN, and 2) getting him legal for employment?

Any advice will be appreciated, as you have made every step pretty smooth thus far (i.e. answering questions, letting ppl know what to expect, etc...)

Thanks!

p.s. wedding is June 27th!
Congrats! My fiance just entered this past weekend as well. We're getting hitched in 3 weeks!!

Anyways, since he is a K1, he is entitled to a SSN right away. Go with him to any SSA office, have him fill out the application for an SSN (I can't remember what the form # is but can be found on the SSA website), and bring with him his passport. You may also want to bring a copy of these memos with you, in case the clerk tries to tell you that he isn't entitled to a SSN.
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500#C

As for the temp EAD, from what others have said, the only POE giving out the temp EAD's is JFK. My fiance received one since he came in via JFK. For your fiance to gain legal employement, you have 2 options. Some folks have gone to the local USCIS office and filed for a temp EAD. However, I think it expires 3 months from the date he entered the US. But some people have said they've tried this, and got no where. The only other option you have is to wait until you are married, and then file the I-485 and I-765 (EAD) at the same time.
Old Apr 19th 2004, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Chessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud of

Thanks so much Sunflower! And congrats to you too

Ok, so he becomes a "house-fiance" until our wedding, no problem, I'm just happy to come home to him every day.

/cheers!

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
Congrats! My fiance just entered this past weekend as well. We're getting hitched in 3 weeks!!

Anyways, since he is a K1, he is entitled to a SSN right away. Go with him to any SSA office, have him fill out the application for an SSN (I can't remember what the form # is but can be found on the SSA website), and bring with him his passport. You may also want to bring a copy of these memos with you, in case the clerk tries to tell you that he isn't entitled to a SSN.
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500#C

As for the temp EAD, from what others have said, the only POE giving out the temp EAD's is JFK. My fiance received one since he came in via JFK. For your fiance to gain legal employement, you have 2 options. Some folks have gone to the local USCIS office and filed for a temp EAD. However, I think it expires 3 months from the date he entered the US. But some people have said they've tried this, and got no where. The only other option you have is to wait until you are married, and then file the I-485 and I-765 (EAD) at the same time.
Old Apr 19th 2004, 9:32 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I was a "house-fiance" for 7 weeks! Sheila really like me being home... cleaning, cooking, doing laundry. I didn't mind at all - of course, once we were married, I happily gave up the laundry chores although I still clean and cook... just not as often!

Ian (and Sheila)

---------------------------------------------------
Timeline:

Mailed I-129F: November 28, 1997
K-1 interview in Montreal: March 27, 1998
Married Sheila: May 23, 1998
Filed for AoS: June 15, 1998
AoS interview: February 20, 2001
Received PR status: March 4, 2001
Applied for Citizenship: December 8, 2003
NoA: Priority date - December 11, 2003
Fingerprinted: January 20, 2004
Citizenship Interview: May 5, 2004

Originally posted by Chessiet
Thanks so much Sunflower! And congrats to you too

Ok, so he becomes a "house-fiance" until our wedding, no problem, I'm just happy to come home to him every day.

/cheers!