Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

ok, we're married.. now what?? (k1 visa)

Wikiposts

ok, we're married.. now what?? (k1 visa)

Old Feb 14th 2005, 4:29 am
Scouse Git

torpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to all
Default ok, we're married.. now what?? (k1 visa)

Well.. I tried to read up on this.. and after the first 18 pages that read like stereo instructions.. im utterly confused. For information: We married on a K1 visa, Im British and shes American.. we're living in Nebraska. Heres what i THINK i need.. but i dont know.

- I-485 Application To Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
- I-765 Application for Employment Authorization. You will apply as category (c)(9), "adjustment applicant". (optional, but you cannot work without this)
- I-864 Affidavit of Support
- G-325A Biographic Information
- WR-702, WR-703 or I-468 - Data Collection for Alien Documentation, Identification & Telecommunications System (ADIT). (If you don't get one of these forms in your package, don't worry about it. These are "office specific" forms which may not be used at your local office. Check local procedures by calling 1-800-375-5283)
- A copy of form I-94, Nonimmigrant Arrival Departure Record (this was put in your passport when you arrived)
- I-131 Application For Travel Document (this is optional but is for traveling outside the US during the application period, known as "advance parole")(also see question 6.7)
- A copy of the marriage certificate
- A copy of your birth certificate. (bring an extra when you move, or two or three if you can). You need a translated copy if it is not in English.
- A copy of the fiance(e) petition approval notice (I-797 Notice of Action)
- 2 photos - (see note) - like you have done before, but more may required, depending on the requirements of the local office.

I dont particulary need Advance Parole.. I'm not planning on going anywhere.. I do want to become self employed as soon as possible so I dont lose my potential clients.. other than that.. nothing out of the ordinary.. Any clarification in plain english would be appreciated.. thanks in advance
Old Feb 14th 2005, 5:30 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ok, we're married.. now what?? (k1 visa)

Originally Posted by torpkevuk
Well.. I tried to read up on this.. and after the first 18 pages that read like stereo instructions.. im utterly confused. For information: We married on a K1 visa, Im British and shes American.. we're living in Nebraska. Heres what i THINK i need.. but i dont know.

- I-485 Application To Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
- I-765 Application for Employment Authorization. You will apply as category (c)(9), "adjustment applicant". (optional, but you cannot work without this)
- I-864 Affidavit of Support
- G-325A Biographic Information
NOT NEEDED - - WR-702, WR-703 or I-468 -

- A copy of form I-94, Nonimmigrant Arrival Departure Record (this was put in your passport when you arrived)
- I-131 Application For Travel Document (this is optional but is for traveling outside the US during the application period, known as "advance parole")(also see question 6.7)
- A copy of the marriage certificate
- A copy of your birth certificate. (bring an extra when you move, or two or three if you can). You need a translated copy if it is not in English.
- A copy of the fiance(e) petition approval notice (I-797 Notice of Action)
- 2 photos - (see note) - like you have done before, but more may required, depending on the requirements of the local office.

I dont particulary need Advance Parole.. I'm not planning on going anywhere.. I do want to become self employed as soon as possible so I dont lose my potential clients.. other than that.. nothing out of the ordinary.. Any clarification in plain english would be appreciated.. thanks in advance
What do you need clarification on?

Remember the photos are full frontal photos. YOu need to treat each petition as a stand alone petition, i.e. even if a document is asked for in another petition, give it twice, not once.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 7:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ok, we're married.. now what?? (k1 visa)

Hi,

If you're not applying for AP right now, then you will have two envelopes. One for the I-485 and supporting documents, and one for the I-765 and supporting documents. Each application needs 2 passport-style photographs. Write separate checks for each application. Make sure you include a separate check for $70 for biometrics along with the I-485 application.

Once you have the 2 packages ready, you should put them into one larger envelope and mail them off to the appropriate address. Local office, unless you are now instructed to send them to Chicago (check USCIS website).

Just read through each application very thoroughly, follow directions, and it should be pretty straightforward. Come on back and ask us if you run into any questions once you start filling things out.

Best Wishes,
Rene