Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Ok timeframe after arriving on K1?

Wikiposts

Ok timeframe after arriving on K1?

Old May 31st 2008, 6:39 am
Honorary Texan

tom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to all
Default Re: Ok timeframe after arriving on K1?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
That would be OK.
Alright I was anticipating being sat on my ass for 6 months! Well, in that case even if I find something temporary, I can find some sort of work until I get an EAD which will broaden my prospects to all employers.
Thanks Noorah!
Old May 31st 2008, 7:39 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok timeframe after arriving on K1?

Originally Posted by tom_1984
Alright I was anticipating being sat on my ass for 6 months! Well, in that case even if I find something temporary, I can find some sort of work until I get an EAD which will broaden my prospects to all employers.
Thanks Noorah!
There has been some debate recently whether a K-1 entrant is work eligible from Day 1 or not, until an EAD is applied for. You might want to do a search for that recent thread.

Keep in mind that if you do find an employer who is willing to hire you without proof of employment authorization, any unauthorized work you do will be forgiven by USCIS, but it puts the employer at risk for having to pay a fine for hiring someone without proper documentation and completing an I-9.

My alien husband is self-employed and I recently spoke to a tax advisor to find out the best way for him to hire someone...either as a consultant or as an employee. I got my answer, and then she said to make sure whoever he pays to do work for him is in compliance with the I-9 form.

Rene