Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

OK So I am here now, what next ?

Wikiposts

OK So I am here now, what next ?

Old Oct 28th 2003, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold
Default OK So I am here now, what next ?

Having arrived stateside Sunday, whisked through immigration in record time, ( a barking dog works wonders lol ) what forms do I need to file and where now ? I want to get my SSN, can I do that straight away ? Or is there a minimum wait ?

Date set for the 22nd December 2003. I know I have to notfiy the INS of the change as soon as possible, but what else do we need to do ?

Cheers
Old Oct 28th 2003, 7:12 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK So I am here now, what next ?

DS,

Read the resource links posted by Rete at the top of the list of threads. And read the posts by people who are at your stage of the game.

You should know these two things by now?

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Having arrived stateside Sunday, whisked through immigration in record time, ( a barking dog works wonders lol ) what forms do I need to file and where now ? I want to get my SSN, can I do that straight away ? Or is there a minimum wait ?

Date set for the 22nd December 2003. I know I have to notfiy the INS of the change as soon as possible, but what else do we need to do ?

Cheers
Old Oct 28th 2003, 7:17 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Scrumpy!

Welcome to the USA!!!!!!! Congratulations on your speedy processing and upcoming nuptials!! I don't have a clue as to what your supposed to do next. You'll have to talk to someone much smarter than me about those things.

Leslie
:PARTY:

Cheers
Old Oct 28th 2003, 7:28 am
Thems the Vagaries

LuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
doc,

wait 10 working days for filing for your ssn (to make sure youre in the save system)
ive seen others have problems with ssn on here, but im assuming thats either the k3ers or those who didnt wait, i myself had no problems.
if you came in on a k1, i guess next is either getting married, filing aos etc, or applying for your ead.

good luck
Old Oct 28th 2003, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I waited 7 days before I went to the SS office. I have heard most people say you should give it a good 10 days before applying for a SS number. I had landed and received my SS card within two weeks though.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

This is what we filed for AOS.

I-485 Application To Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
I-765 Application for Employment Authorization. You will apply as category (c)(9), "adjustment applicant".
I-864 Affidavit of Support
G-325A Biographic Information
A copy of form I-94, Nonimmigrant Arrival Departure Record (this was put in your passport when you arrived)
A copy of the marriage certificate
A copy of your birth certificate.
A copy of the fiance(e) petition approval notice (I-797 Notice of Action)
2 photos - the 3/4 face view - like you have done before, but more may required, depending on the requirements of the local office.

You can also file for advanced parole.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 7:51 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Scrumpy,

Welcome to Virginia! I see you're in (or nearly in) the DC metro area too, we're almost neighbors lol. My husband waited 3 or 4 weeks before he got his SS card (we waited longer than we needed to, but we weren't in a hurry). He got his SS card in the mail a week after applying. We filed for Cory's AOS in Ballston about a month after our wedding, but I don't know if that's where you'd need to file (?). He got his VA driver's license about 3 weeks after the wedding. Maybe our timeline below will help.

Juliet
Old Oct 28th 2003, 8:11 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Congrats on your immigration!
Once I entered the country I got married and then tried to file for my SS# (though as a K1 it seems you can file for your SS# even before getting still wasn't in the SAVE system. I came back a week later and I was in it. It then took 3 weeks for it to arrive in the mail (somehow everyone elses process always seems to go faster than mine).
And after we got married I filed the AOS & EAD package. You should definitely try to do that as soon as you can after the wedding (maybe try to get all the paperwork together as best as you can before hand - silly me waited until after the wedding to do all that and lost a month that way). The sooner you send it in the sooner you will be able to work!
Old Oct 28th 2003, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

NevAnna is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome, Scrumpy! Just visit your local SSN office to apply for your SSN. We waited 11 days after my husband's arrival to apply and he was in the system. You can download this form http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html and have it all filled out by the time you arrive at the SS office. To find your local office, look here http://s3abaca.ssa.gov/pro/fol/fol-home.html Also, take this document http://www.kamya.com/ssn/em00154.pdf with you to prove that you are able to apply for a SSN with a K1 visa. The clerk at our local office was pretty confused and we had to have two of them read this document, as they thought my husband had to be in the US for 90 days before he could apply. Good luck
Old Oct 28th 2003, 8:16 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Steffi
Once I entered the country I got married and then tried to file for my SS# (though as a K1 it seems you can file for your SS# even before getting still wasn't in the SAVE system.
Oops..sorry, I accidently deleted too much. That was supposed to say something along the lines of:

Once I entered the country I got married and then tried to file for my SS# (though as a K1 it seems you can file for your SS# even before getting married)...which was about 3 weeks after entering the US, but I still wasn't in the SAVE system.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks all, I'll pop to the SSN office next week then.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 12:30 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Welcome to America
WOOO congrats on your upcoming wedding!!!
Keep us posted!!
Old Oct 29th 2003, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Lock yourself in the bedroom for two weeks then come out and start taking care of other bizniz
Old Oct 29th 2003, 1:26 am
Wales is next to England

Gasherjohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the USA ye old zider drinka.

Did you bring any with you?

John
Old Oct 29th 2003, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

BeachBunny is an unknown quantity at this point

Drink some Zider!!

WELCOME TO AMERICA!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.