Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Are official K1 processing times accurate?

Wikiposts

Are official K1 processing times accurate?

Old Jun 26th 2008, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are official K1 processing times accurate?

Originally Posted by helenscarlett
Thanks Rene

So if I can sell this blinkin house, I may be able to sponsor myself - that would be nice
They might even accept the house as the asset - if your equity in the house is sufficient.

Anyone? Isn't the rule an asset that can be liquidated within one year, which a house (at least theoretically) could be?
Old Jun 26th 2008, 3:40 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Penguinbar! You lucky people

Thank you very much for the details of your wait times. I am queing at the California Service Centre... But I can see from all the feedback that it is almost impossible to anticipate.

Yes, I mainly just want to be prepared, so I have my police certificate and birth certificate. Did you have to do an affidavit of support to take to the interview? If so, can you remember which form (there appear to be 2 !?) Or is that part of the adjustment process later?

Thanks again for your time - totally appreciated.
The I 134 is for the K1 visa. Your fiancee would fill that out for you to take to the interview. He has to get that notarised as well.His local bank should do that for free or for a nominal fee. If he does not meet the poverty line which most people do you need a joint sponser. Since my job is commision based I needed one. Also closer to the time he will need a letter of employment . We also had a few months of my paystubs, a notarised copy of my last tax return, bank statements. I used extra evidence because I was using my assets as well. These were all brought to the interview.lso make copies of everything! They asked my fiancee for his birth cert and police report photocopies and gave him back the originals. My faincee was in the embassy 3 1/2 hours.Most of the time was spent waiting! The interview was alot less painless then we thought! Look on the forum for k1 visa experiences 2007/08. a few of us posted our recent experiences so you can get a better idea!
Old Jun 26th 2008, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
The I 134 is for the K1 visa. Your fiancee would fill that out for you to take to the interview. He has to get that notarised as well.His local bank should do that for free or for a nominal fee. If he does not meet the poverty line which most people do you need a joint sponser. Since my job is commision based I needed one. Also closer to the time he will need a letter of employment . We also had a few months of my paystubs, a notarised copy of my last tax return, bank statements. I used extra evidence because I was using my assets as well. These were all brought to the interview.lso make copies of everything! They asked my fiancee for his birth cert and police report photocopies and gave him back the originals. My faincee was in the embassy 3 1/2 hours.Most of the time was spent waiting! The interview was alot less painless then we thought! Look on the forum for k1 visa experiences 2007/08. a few of us posted our recent experiences so you can get a better idea!
If she has enough of her own assets, she might be able to self-sponsor for the K-1 and not need any of that from her fiance.

However, I believe he will still have to be the sponsor for the AOS, so it might be easiest imo for him to go ahead and be the sponsor for the K-1 as well, unless there are issues with his income.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 3:53 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

True. Aren't the assets if you are self sponsering much higher than if you have a US sponser?
Old Jun 26th 2008, 4:03 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

True. Aren't the assets if you are self sponsering much higher than if you have a US sponser?
No, not for the I-134. Approval of the amount of savings or assets is at the ConOff's discretion.

Rene
Old Jun 26th 2008, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't know - I had a hunt and didn't find that info so far. I do some some folks on the forum have self-sponsored though.

However, personally, I'd think the path of least resistance would usually to do as you suggested, and have the fiance sponsor. She could show the value in her house as well, if his income was marginal.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 4:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I don't know - I had a hunt and didn't find that info so far. I do some some folks on the forum have self-sponsored though.

However, personally, I'd think the path of least resistance would usually to do as you suggested, and have the fiance sponsor. She could show the value in her house as well, if his income was marginal.
I've seen posts in the past where the UKC has used as little as +/- $5,000 to self-sponsor, that would definitely be a lower amount than the assets needed for the I-864. So I'm sure it can be done.

The best thing to do would be for the OP to email the embassy in London, describe what she has in assets and the value, and see if they OK it ahead of time. I believe London will still do this.

Rene
Old Jun 26th 2008, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Just to clarify, you must be a PR for 3 years *and* married to a USC for 3 years. Marriage for 3 years to a USC, by itself, is not sufficient.

I applied for naturalization about 90 days prior to being a PR for 3 years and married to a USC for 3 years. I became a USC 3 years and 3 months after becoming a PR. I don't know if that's some sort of record, but that seemed pretty quick to me! From the date Sheila submitted the I-129F to start our K-1 process until my oath ceremony... it was 6-1/2 years.

Ian
Absolutely right - expediency as opposed to accuracy/pedancy (if the latter is a real word!) led me to write the 3 years (less 90 days) without the clarification that, of course, one has to be a LPR for 3 years too....
Ian - I suspect you must be close to a record with the 3years 3 months. Wonder if anyone can beat this number!
Old Jun 26th 2008, 4:54 am

I will say that anytime my fiancee emailed the embassy in London they did get back to him in three or four days with accurate information.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 5:20 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlanR
Ian - I suspect you must be close to a record with the 3years 3 months. Wonder if anyone can beat this number!
It would have been 3 years 2.5 months... but former President Reagan died.

Ian
Old Jun 26th 2008, 11:16 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ian
hmmm
Married May 2002, IV petition filed August 2002, Admitted to PR November 2002, Naturalized July 2006.

What can I say, we're slackers.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Ian
I think that the 'interesting' time (possibly typical) is the 6.5 years between I-129 and oath ceremony.....
Old Jun 28th 2008, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

In your experience, are these processing times accurate, or is it massively variable? I am especially interested in the embassy times, as there is so little information.
This list might help you.
http://cse.ssl.berkeley.edu/igor/vjdata/default.aspx
California Service center has been approving some February petitions. They sometimes don't forward to the NVC immediately after approval like Vermont does. Once in London, it normally takes less than 2 weeks to get the info from them. Once the documents are returned, it could take 3 more weeks to get the appointment letter. It all varies, but maybe 60 days from London receiving your file to the interview if you have everything ready by the time you hear from them, meaning the forms, photos, police certificates, birth certificates, etc.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

AlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to all
Wink Re: Are official K1 processing times accurate?

Originally Posted by meauxna
hmmm
Married May 2002, IV petition filed August 2002, Admitted to PR November 2002, Naturalized July 2006.

What can I say, we're slackers.
The whole K-1 process for us was a warp speed process, I don't why we were so lucky. We went from K-1 to GC in slightly over 369 Days. We got a few good breaks that are no longer available, local filing etc.

Been a PR for almost 4 years now. As for the N-400, don't when/if I am going to do that. Simply for the reason I don't want to jeopardize the Dual-Citizenship I already hold. Germany doesn't permit "voluntary" dual citizenship without a lot of paperwork, something I haven't gotten around to do yet.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Will "Germany" ever know?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.