off topic - Marriages in US

Wikiposts

off topic - Marriages in US

Old Sep 28th 2004, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

vadood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default off topic - Marriages in US

hi,

I am sorry to send this here, but thought you could help. Me and my USC fiancee are planning to marry in US. She is now in US and will file an I-129F petition shortly. But the problem is we have all our family and relatives out of US and want to hold the real ceremony with our family and own routines in Iran. So we only need to 'legally' marry in US.

I just want to know what are the procedures of conducting a legal marriage in united states (viginia). Where can I find this information?
Old Sep 29th 2004, 1:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: off topic - Marriages in US

Originally Posted by vadood
I just want to know what are the procedures of conducting a legal marriage in united states (viginia). Where can I find this information?
Have a notary republic say the I do's and sign the certificate, once that's filed, your legally married. Would need AP before you could leave the country though.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 1:53 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

hi,

I am sorry to send this here, but thought you could help. Me and my USC fiancee are planning to marry in US. She is now in US and will file an I-129F petition shortly. But the problem is we have all our family and relatives out of US and want to hold the real ceremony with our family and own routines in Iran. So we only need to 'legally' marry in US.

Hi there,

Here's a link that might be helpful for the marriage license/requirements in VA, assuming you arrive via the K-1 visa:

http://www.vipnet.org/portal/faq2.htm#marriage_license

We're in Virginia too, were married after my hubbie entered on a K-1 visa.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 2:00 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Salaam Vadood,

Here is another link to marriage license laws & requirements in Virginia that might be helpful....

http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/uni...ia/index.shtml

I'm not sure about what Bob posted. I'm a Notary Public here in Arizona, but I cannot marry two people who just stand there and say "I DO". Perhaps a Notary Public in VA has more authority, but for sure you will need the marriage license before performing the vows. Be sure to check the links that Jcapulet and I provided for you.

Also, are you planning to have a family ceremony in Iran *before* you come in on your K1 visa? If so, please please please make sure it's NOT a legal wedding in Iran, and that you don't show pictures of that ceremony at your K1 visa interview! If you get legally married in Iran, or if the embassy even *thinks* you got legally married in Iran, your K1 visa will be void....so be very careful.

Best Wishes!
Rene
Old Sep 29th 2004, 2:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I'm not sure about what Bob posted. I'm a Notary Public here in Arizona, but I cannot marry two people who just stand there and say "I DO". Perhaps a Notary Public in VA has more authority, but for sure you will need the marriage license before performing the vows. Be sure to check the links that Jcapulet and I provided for you.
Well in maine, that was the gist of it, they say a standard paragraph, you say the i do's, you sign the certificate, and once that's filed, your married.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 2:20 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Well in maine, that was the gist of it, they say a standard paragraph, you say the i do's, you sign the certificate, and once that's filed, your married.
Interesting! And you didn't have to get a marriage license ahead of time? I would think that would be an important step in the marriage process.

Rene
Old Sep 29th 2004, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Interesting! And you didn't have to get a marriage license ahead of time? I would think that would be an important step in the marriage process.

Rene
http://www.maine.gov/portal/living/marriage.html

Getting Married in Maine
How to Get a Marriage License
Marriage licenses are issued at the town or city level. Both the bride and groom must visit the town office in person to apply for the marriage license. You may want to check your town's website for information.

If both of you are residents of the state of Maine, you should both apply at the town office where at least one of you is a resident. If you are residents of different Maine towns, you both may apply in one town or the other - you do not need to apply separately in each town.
If one is from out of state, then both of you should apply in the town where one holds residency.
If neither of you is a resident of Maine, then you may apply in any Maine town office. It need not be the same town where you plan to be married.
Your marriage license is valid for 90 days and can only be used within the State of Maine. There is no longer a Waiting Period from the time your marriage license is issued until your wedding can take place. The person performing the ceremony is responsible for filing the marriage certificate with the town office that issued the marriage license.

Requirements
To obtain a marriage license:
Photo ID such as a driver's license may be required.
If this is not the first marriage for one of you, bring a certified copy (raised seal) of the divorce from or death certificate of the last spouse.
Applicants must be over 18 years old. Written parental consent is required for an applicant under 18. Written parental consent and written consent of a judge are required for an applicant under 16.
No blood test is required.
You may want to check with the municipal clerk where you are filing before-hand to find out what that municipality's policies are.
Officiants
The following individuals are authorized to perform marriages in Maine:

Ordained ministers of the gospel
A person licensed to preach by an association of ministers, religious seminary or ecclesiastical body
Judges or justices (residents of Maine only)
Lawyers admitted to the Maine Bar (residents of Maine only)
Maine Notaries - Search for Maine Notaries by Location or Name
Maine does not have Justices of the Peace. Out-of-state Notaries and Justices of the Peace cannot officiate weddings in Maine.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 2:49 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Rene,

You need to be a "notary republic".

Regards, JEff

Salaam Vadood,

I'm not sure about what Bob posted. I'm a Notary Public here in Arizona, but I cannot marry two people ...

Rene
Old Sep 29th 2004, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Rene,

Regards, JEff
JEff...that's next on my agenda...LOL!

Rene
Old Sep 29th 2004, 4:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Yes, if your from that county, technically, but the notary was family, the missus had to file days in advance, but as I was foreign, I didn't have to, and it's more of a notice thing really...and it then just gets signed on the day...all very weird, I thought it would be more hassle than it really was...
Though to be honest, I didn't really understand it, I just nodded at the right times and the like, typical bloke
Old Sep 29th 2004, 6:12 am
Just Joined

I can not understand what a "marriage certificate" is. Here in Iran we have birth certificates which have pages for recording marriages. So all you have to do is to go to a notary office and have them record the marriage in birth certificates of the bride and groom. I do not know what is required for nationals of other countries to marry an Iranian.
And there in united states, what is required for a K-1 er to marry? Only his/her passport? Is any other document required?
Old Sep 29th 2004, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I can not understand what a "marriage certificate" is. Here in Iran we have birth certificates which have pages for recording marriages. So all you have to do is to go to a notary office and have them record the marriage in birth certificates of the bride and groom. I do not know what is required for nationals of other countries to marry an Iranian.
And there in united states, what is required for a K-1 er to marry? Only his/her passport? Is any other document required?
What will be required of you, the K-1er, to marry in the US will vary by state. In most states, the couple that is marrying will go to their local County Clerk's office to obtain a 'marriage license.' A marriage license is a document from the government showing that you can legally marry. If you have been married and divorced, you have to show the divorce decree - this proves that you can marry again. For my husband to get married in Tennessee, all he had to show was his passport. I had to show my driver's license. We obtained our license the same day, but some states will make you take blood tests or have a mandatory waiting period of 14 days (or more). Depending on where you plan on marrying, research these issues.

You then give this marriage license to the official that will be marrying you (minister, priest, reverand, judge, etc). Once they have performed the vows, he/she signs the marriage license - which has now become a 'marriage certificate'. The marriage certificate is proof that you are now married. The officiant of your wedding then files this certificate with the local County Clerk's office, who then registers your wedding. You can then obtain copies of your certificate from the County Clerk's office.

hope this helps a bit!
Old Sep 29th 2004, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
You then give this marriage license to the official that will be marrying you (minister, priest, reverand, judge, etc). Once they have performed the vows, he/she signs the marriage license - which has now become a 'marriage certificate'. The marriage certificate is proof that you are now married. The officiant of your wedding then files this certificate with the local County Clerk's office, who then registers your wedding. You can then obtain copies of your certificate from the County Clerk's office.

hope this helps a bit!
thank you, sure it helps. is this marriage (done by minister, priest, reverand, judge, etc !!!) conducted according to any religion? or is it just "religion independent"?
Old Sep 29th 2004, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

thank you, sure it helps. is this marriage (done by minister, priest, reverand, judge, etc !!!) conducted according to any religion? or is it just "religion independent"?
It's up to you. You can have a full-blown religious wedding with all of the bells and whistles in your place of worship or you can have a ceremony where religion is not part of it.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 7:42 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Rene,

Regards, JEff

Then she can notarize "affadavids", ............

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.