Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Obtaining US Citizenship Via Marriage?

Obtaining US Citizenship Via Marriage?

Old Jul 13th 2007, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

britpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud of
Default Obtaining US Citizenship Via Marriage?

OK, so i'm due to move out to Tulsa, OK in the states and marry my partner in august. We aren't getting married till October but a travellers visa only gives you 90 days. How would you get citizenship/a spousal visa? Does marrying a citizen automatically give you rights to citizenship? Can anyone talk me through the process and give time estimates etc?
Old Jul 13th 2007, 8:52 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining US Citizenship Via Marriage?

Originally Posted by britpunk101
OK, so i'm due to move out to Tulsa, OK in the states and marry my partner in august. We aren't getting married till October but a travellers visa only gives you 90 days. How would you get citizenship/a spousal visa? Does marrying a citizen automatically give you rights to citizenship? Can anyone talk me through the process and give time estimates etc?
1st things first:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD
Old Jul 13th 2007, 9:01 pm
Fallen for a country girl

clover will become famous soon enough

I take it he`s a US citizen. Then you will need a KI fiance visa which only gives you 90 days to tie the knot once you arrive.
I`m in the same position right now but didn`t do my homework and got married on an impulse while here on a visa wavier I-94w. Which looks like its going to be a long bumpy ride with US immigration services.
GOOD LUCK
Old Jul 13th 2007, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The partner was a girl, the same sex.

Is this a different opposite sex partner?
Old Jul 13th 2007, 9:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You have a LOT of homework to do before you start. Unfortunately your post touches areas where even the brave are reluctant to tread. Do plenty of research by reading posts in the marriage forum (http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31) and then come back and ask a sensible question.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 9:33 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clover
I take it he`s a US citizen. Then you will need a KI fiance visa which only gives you 90 days to tie the knot once you arrive.
I`m in the same position right now but didn`t do my homework and got married on an impulse while here on a visa wavier I-94w. Which looks like its going to be a long bumpy ride with US immigration services.
GOOD LUCK
Why so? You follow the same path as many. As (I think) Boiler said: You see a few VWP->AOS rejections and you see the occasionally lottery winner. Thought it summed it up beautifully.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 10:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Marriage to a USC only means you've got to have had the greencard for 3 years minus 90 days before being able to apply for citizenship, that's if your still married and in the relationship at that time, as well as meeting the continual residence requirements etc.

If you have intent to marry and then AOS, that wouldn't be allowed on the VWP, but if you didn't have the intent to stay when you entered, you could.

Depending on your situation, might want to look at the K1/K3/DCF etc.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

britpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by clover
GOOD LUCK
he is a US citizen, i'm a british citizen. i know a travellers visa gives you 90 days from the day you enter the country. if i get married before the 90 days is up does that allow me to file for a green card or citizenship after a certain amount of time?

i want to avoid long bumpy rides with immigration and make it as smooth hassle free as possible.

any help would be appreciated, i dont know anything about immigration hence why i ask here. and the questions may seem stupid to you but i needto know, thank you
Old Jul 15th 2007, 12:58 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

he is a US citizen, i'm a british citizen. i know a travellers visa gives you 90 days from the day you enter the country. if i get married before the 90 days is up does that allow me to file for a green card or citizenship after a certain amount of time?

i want to avoid long bumpy rides with immigration and make it as smooth hassle free as possible.

any help would be appreciated, i dont know anything about immigration hence why i ask here. and the questions may seem stupid to you but i needto know, thank you
So many people have asked this question before - why not do a search?

You are not allowed to adjust status from the VWP if you already had immigrant intent at the time you entered.

You get married and make sure you return before your I-94 expires, i.e. 90 days.

Your husband files the paperwork for your immigrant visa. Did you even LOOK at the link I posed earlier?

The alternative, as Bob said, is for him to file for a K1/fiance visa, which allows you to enter, get married, and file for AOS.

Your choice.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 5:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

No, I would suggest you don't know squat, based on your use of language. There isn't any such animal as a 'traveler's visa' and if you are a British citizen, you don't use a visa for a VISIT anyway.

Forget 'citizenship' for now, it is a long way off for you. What you want is to be an immigrant to the US, and eventually a Permanent Resident. You can use those terms to start your research.

Foreknowledge is the key to avoiding long bumpy rides with immigration.

If you do not know 'anything' about immigration, then I strongly suggest that you NOT immigrate until you know how to do it properly.

It is ILLEGAL to immigrate on a visitor 'visa' (or Visa Waiver Program).
The word for someone who is promised to marry is 'fiance' or 'fiancee'. There is a visa for that specific purpose. There is in fact, an explanation of how to get on in the Wiki here at BE: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1
Old Jul 15th 2007, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
No, I would suggest you don't know squat, based on your use of language. There isn't any such animal as a 'traveler's visa' and if you are a British citizen, you don't use a visa for a VISIT anyway.

Forget 'citizenship' for now, it is a long way off for you. What you want is to be an immigrant to the US, and eventually a Permanent Resident. You can use those terms to start your research.

Foreknowledge is the key to avoiding long bumpy rides with immigration.

If you do not know 'anything' about immigration, then I strongly suggest that you NOT immigrate until you know how to do it properly.

It is ILLEGAL to immigrate on a visitor 'visa' (or Visa Waiver Program).
The word for someone who is promised to marry is 'fiance' or 'fiancee'. There is a visa for that specific purpose. There is in fact, an explanation of how to get on in the Wiki here at BE: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1
I understand i need a K1 visa, but how long am i allowed to reside in the country after marriage? Do i have to leave after i'm married and wait for a work permit/green card? or can i stay there and work once married? i knew it would be complicated hence why i asked your help! :P
Old Jul 15th 2007, 7:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I understand i need a K1 visa, but how long am i allowed to reside in the country after marriage? Do i have to leave after i'm married and wait for a work permit/green card? or can i stay there and work once married? i knew it would be complicated hence why i asked your help! :P
I will cut you *some* slack since this step is not fully spelled out in the wiki:

Once the K-1 visa is issued, the applicant has 6 months to use it to enter the USA. The K-1 visa is a 1-time-entry only visa, and the couple must get married in the USA within 90 days of the K-1's entry.

After the couple is married and they have the certified copy of the marriage certificate in hand, the foreign spouse can apply for Adjustment of Status to Permanent Resident (AOS), which can also include Work Authorization (EAD) and Advance Parole (AP) for travel.

Approval at the AOS interview will result in either a 2-year or 10-year green card. Two-year green card if the marriage is less than 2 years old at the time of approval. Ten-year green card if the marriage is over 2 years old at the time of approval.

Retrieved from "http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1"

Seriously, this is written up all over the internet.. do some searching.

It's been spelled out for the current steps at www.familybasedimmigration.com
Go. Read. Come back with questions after some research.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 9:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sure it does, IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON LEAVING THE US AFTER THE MARRIAGE AND HAVING YOUR THEN HUSBAND FILE FOR YOU WHILE YOU ARE WAITING IN THE UK FOR YOUR IMMEDIATE RELATIVE VISA.

However, if you intend as you stated to enter the US to marry and REMAIN IN THE US WITHOUT LEAVING AFTER THE MARRIAGE to adjust status, than your rode is going to be very bumpy and if you hit on bump in particular it means you will be denied adjustment and deported from the US.

May I suggest that your USC fiancee have a one time consultation with a qualified immigration attorney regarding your marriage and adjustment. If you want a truly unbumpy ride, have him apply for a fiancee visa for you.

BTW there is no just animal as a traveller's visa. You are Brit. You do not require a visa. You enter the US under the Visa Waiver Program.