Wikiposts

Oath Questions

Old Apr 19th 2009, 3:29 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oath Questions

Hi All,

Sadegh's oath ceremony is next Friday. We have discussed the oath, I translated it so he knows what he's promising, and we're all fine with that.

But he hasn't studied or memorized the actual English words of the oath. It didn't occur to me until now to ask how they actually administer the oath.

Does someone say it line by line, and the group of immigrants repeats it in unison, line by line? Does someone lead the oath and everyone has to say it all together? Does someone read the whole oath out loud and then everyone at the end just says "I do" or some such thing?

We also have not practiced the Pledge of Allegience, for some reason these things didn't occur to me for him to study and memorize ahead of time. He knows what the Pledge of Allegience is, and he knows to stand with one hand on your heart, but he hasn't memorized the words.

I read on here someone else's experience where the Oath admistrator said he wanted to see everyone's mouth moving....but was he kidding, or do you really have to memorize that long oath ahead of time? If they say it line by line, Sadegh has a chance...he'll be able to repeat what he hears. But less than a week is not enough time to study and memorize the whole oath verbatim now, on his own. Can he bring a little "cheat sheet" to read from, when it's time to say the words of the oath?

Help...
Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 19th 2009 at 3:33 am.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 3:35 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oath Questions

They stand up enmass and the group will then repeat what is said. It will be line by line. They will also be given a written copy of the oath to read from. The same with the pledge.

Don't give the oath a moment's worry. Do try to get him to memorize the pledge. It is shorter and he should be able to do it within the short time frame. It will give him such a great sense of pride to know at least one by heart and this one he will hear at least a few times during his lifespan. You're a great teacher and it will be just fine.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi All,

Sadegh's oath ceremony is next Friday. We have discussed the oath, I translated it so he knows what he's promising, and we're all fine with that.

But he hasn't studied or memorized the actual English words of the oath. It didn't occur to me until now to ask how they actually administer the oath.

Does someone say it line by line, and the group of immigrants repeats it in unison, line by line? Does someone lead the oath and everyone has to say it all together? Does someone read the whole oath out loud and then everyone at the end just says "I do" or some such thing?

We also have not practiced the Pledge of Allegience, for some reason these things didn't occur to me for him to study and memorize ahead of time. He knows what the Pledge of Allegience is, and he knows to stand with one hand on your heart, but he hasn't memorized the words.

I read on here someone else's experience where the Oath admistrator said he wanted to see everyone's mouth moving....but was he kidding, or do you really have to memorize that long oath ahead of time? If they say it line by line, Sadegh has a chance...he'll be able to repeat what he hears. But less than a week is not enough time to study and memorize the whole oath verbatim now, on his own.

Help...
Rene
Old Apr 19th 2009, 4:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
They stand up enmass and the group will then repeat what is said. It will be line by line. They will also be given a written copy of the oath to read from. The same with the pledge.

Don't give the oath a moment's worry. Do try to get him to memorize the pledge. It is shorter and he should be able to do it within the short time frame. It will give him such a great sense of pride to know at least one by heart and this one he will hear at least a few times during his lifespan. You're a great teacher and it will be just fine.
Thanks, Rete! I'm sure he can manage the Pledge by Friday but I was worried about the Oath. I'm glad it will be repeated line by line, and that he can also read along from a sheet of paper. Whew. Big load off my mind.

Now I can get back to party planning...lol

Rene
Old Apr 19th 2009, 6:43 am
Taunton, Somerset to PA

mikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud of

At mine a few weeks ago they read the oath and we all said "I do" at the end
then we all said the pledge of allegiance.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by mikehope
At mine a few weeks ago they read the oath and we all said "I do" at the end
then we all said the pledge of allegiance.
Thanks for that, Mike! That method will work for us too! Thanks for putting my mind at ease....and congratulations to you!!

Rene
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:27 am
Taunton, Somerset to PA

mikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud of

Thankyou, and congratulations to you too!!
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:39 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

That method will work for us too!
This was what happened at my oath ceremony also... an official read the oath of Allegiance and we all said "I do". It was a bit like getting married! Hmm... not a bad analogy at that! I'm sure Sadegh will do just fine... he's got a great teacher.

Ian
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
This was what happened at my oath ceremony also... an official read the oath of Allegiance and we all said "I do". It was a bit like getting married! Hmm... not a bad analogy at that! I'm sure Sadegh will do just fine... he's got a great teacher.

Ian
Thanks, Ian! Sadegh's good at saying "I do". When we got married, he didn't speak any English at all. I had to translate our wedding vows, and I told him in Farsi "whatever the JP says, just say in English "I DO". And he did!

Rene
Old Apr 20th 2009, 1:22 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Rene,
Can't offer anything new (Mr. P's experience was just like the others said---he was given a paper with the oath and pledge on it , and everyone repeated what the judge said at the same time which amounted to a lot of mumbling! ) but I just wanted to tell you NOT to worry; he will do fine, you will do fine, and at the end of it all there will be one more new USC!

Good luck, and can't wait to hear about your day!

~SecretGarden
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:02 am
Banned

Arpita is an unknown quantity at this point

Does someone say it line by line, and the group of immigrants repeats it in unison, line by line? Does someone lead the oath and everyone has to say it all together? Does someone read the whole oath out loud and then everyone at the end just says "I do" or some such thing? Rene
One of the US officials at the Oath Ceremony reads the whole oath out loud and all applicants read it too altogether at the same time or just say I do. Takes only a minute or two to complete taking oath.

Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:11 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Rene,

My wife's oath was administered as Rete describes.

There were some 70 people in the group, with all the friends and relatives invited upt to the front of the room to give them a good angle for the photo op - no way could anyone be checking for lip movement!

Best wishes to you both for what will be a very rewarding day.

Best, JEff

Originally Posted by Rete
Old Apr 20th 2009, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Rene,

My wife's oath was administered as Rete describes.

There were some 70 people in the group, with all the friends and relatives invited upt to the front of the room to give them a good angle for the photo op - no way could anyone be checking for lip movement!

Best wishes to you both for what will be a very rewarding day.

Best, JEff
Thanks again, everyone!