Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Oath Ceremony in Chicago

Oath Ceremony in Chicago

Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:03 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oath Ceremony in Chicago

Hello N400'ers

Well, today is the last day of my immigration journey from K3/K4 in 2003 to IV1/IV2 in 2005 to US Citizenship in 2008.

I received my US citizen certificate in Chicago this afternoon. It was fairly quick. I think we lined up to be seated for longer than the Oath Ceremony took. We had to arrive at 12 noon for a 1pm ceremony and it started right on time.

The judge gave a very nice speech and invited all the children to sit up on the bench with her. One little one was sat on the same chair as the judge! She was lovely. (The judge and the little girl!)

There were 141 people receiving their citizenship this afternoon. Everyone checked in and surrendered our green cards,then we were all seated in 6 rows. When the judge came in, she explained what would be happening. We all stood up and raised our right hand and repeated the Oath of Allegiance after the judge, which luckily they had printed on a piece of paper for everyone... in large print... so I didn't have to get my specs out! We were also give a booklet of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.

Once the Oath had been sworn in, the judge left and the certificates were handed out to everyone row by row. There was plenty of opportunity to take photos as long as it wasn't of the judge or the seal on the wall and no videos were allowed.

Then it was time to leave!! We were out of the building by 2pm and I was surprised that it was so quick.

I took my stepdaughter with me, it is her birthday so we enjoyed the day together. Afterwards we walked up the street to a nice steak restaurant and treated ourselves to a very nice birthday and new USC lunch!

We both had a tasty petite fillet and I enjoyed a very nice glass of Pinot! The waiter brought us a desert compliments of the house and the business men at the next table asked what the celebration was. The waiter told them it was my stepdaughters birthday and I had just gained US Citizenship... they were good old Chicago guys and said they were going to pick up our bill in honor of us! I couldn't believe my ears!! They were lovely gentlemen and very pleased that I had become a United States Citizen. We all shook hands and chatted for a few minutes before we had to leave to get our train home.

My son can apply for citizenship in April 2010. I am going to upgrade the I-130 petition for my daughter from daughter of and LPR to daughter over 21 of a US Citizen! Still quite a long wait but worth it when she eventually gets here.

I am very tired and need a glass of wine to continue the celebrations!! Thanks Dolly, for the phone call. It was great talking to you and I'll see you soon.

Mr P and SG... I hope everything goes as smoothly for you guys. Shame we didn't have the same Oath Ceremony day. Let us know how the interview went and also the Oath Ceremony. We must meet up to celebrate after Mr P's Oath Ceremony!

bye for now

Maggie
xxx
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oath Ceremony in Chicago

Fantastic!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:13 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Dan, you are as fast as Meauxna!

Thanks

Originally Posted by Dan725
Fantastic!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:41 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, dear lady. It has been a long time in coming but worth the wait. Fantastic that your luncheon with your stepdaughter turned out to be a gracious gift from a table to gentlemen.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:43 am
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Maggie!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:23 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Thanks Rete

It's been a truly wonderful day! I just had my 2nd glass of wine and am ready to retire to bed!!

Yes, I told the kind gentlemen that is was very American for them to treat us to lunch and they agreed!

Maggie

Originally Posted by Rete
Congratulations, dear lady. It has been a long time in coming but worth the wait. Fantastic that your luncheon with your stepdaughter turned out to be a gracious gift from a table to gentlemen.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:25 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Hello Dolly (I've always wanted to say that!!)

Thanks so much. I appreciate your support at every step of the way.

Maggie xx

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
Congratulations Maggie!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:32 am
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maggs
Hello Dolly (I've always wanted to say that!!)

Thanks so much. I appreciate your support at every step of the way.

Maggie xx

Just another couple of steps to go with our "kids"
Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:37 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Yes, another couple of l-o-n-g steps with our "kids". When they get here eventually, we'll have to get them to meet up!! Ha ha!

OK, bedtime for me!!

Maggie

Originally Posted by DollyLlama

Just another couple of steps to go with our "kids"
Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:38 am
Greatly Missed. RIP

Yes, another couple of l-o-n-g steps with our "kids". When they get here eventually, we'll have to get them to meet up!! Ha ha!

OK, bedtime for me!!

Maggie
Night Maggie! x
Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

mrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond repute

Well congratulations to you!

Thank you for posting your experience of the whole event, it's good to hear what we're up against. I do hope I get the same judge! So far the USCIS officers we've dealt with (in both countries) have varied from the really nice to the sociopathic (sort of), so there's lots of varieties!

I promise to write up how my interview goes on Monday, and hopefully we'll get an oath ceremony to attend shortly afterwards... and yes, it would be great to meet up at the event - and when that happens, we'll all be American Citizens! Now there's a thought!

Good to hear from you again, keep up the good work...

Cheers,

Mr Pink
~and SecretGarden
~~100% pass score on the civics lessons!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 11:56 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I received my US citizen certificate in Chicago this afternoon.
Congratulations, Maggs! Well done!

Ian
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Maggie.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:50 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Hello there Mr P!

I feel much more relaxed today! My stepchildren have been trying to get me to talk with an American accent which I have failed at miserably, much to their continued amusement! I think the worst for me is trying to say wadder! It brings howls of laughter to everyone!

Good luck with your interview next week, but I'm sure between you and SG, you will have absolutely nothing to worry about. Although it's easy for me to say now, enjoy the experience and don't forget, it's nearly the end of the road!

Looking forward to hearing about it all soon and definitely looking forward to having a toast to being USC's!

Maggie

Originally Posted by mrpink
Well congratulations to you!

Thank you for posting your experience of the whole event, it's good to hear what we're up against. I do hope I get the same judge! So far the USCIS officers we've dealt with (in both countries) have varied from the really nice to the sociopathic (sort of), so there's lots of varieties!

I promise to write up how my interview goes on Monday, and hopefully we'll get an oath ceremony to attend shortly afterwards... and yes, it would be great to meet up at the event - and when that happens, we'll all be American Citizens! Now there's a thought!

Good to hear from you again, keep up the good work...

Cheers,

Mr Pink
~and SecretGarden
~~100% pass score on the civics lessons!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:52 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Hello Ian

Thanks very much for the congrats. It's been a long journey but shorter than some and longer than others! I sat up last night in bed and read the Citizens Almanac! It's actually very interesting!!

Maggie

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Congratulations, Maggs! Well done!

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.