Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

O/T What kind of wedding?

O/T What kind of wedding?

Old May 28th 2003, 3:19 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default O/T What kind of wedding?

I'm sure it's been asked before but it's always a nice subject--weddings! Was or is your going to be large or small, and what kind are you having?
We had a small wedding in Kent. I wore a white medievil style dress and my flowers were pale blue. My bridesmaid wore pale blue too. We had a rat bride and groom on our cake (we met through a club for rat lovers) and we released 6 white doves. It was a civil wedding.
We also had a church blessing in Lexington, MA, for Mark's family only. It was nice because his grandmother was in her 80s and couldn't come to London. I had a different dress, a strapless one, and my sister-in-law was my bridesmaid.
Old May 28th 2003, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

kariml is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: O/T What kind of wedding?

Originally posted by MrsLondon
I'm sure it's been asked before but it's always a nice subject--weddings! Was or is your going to be large or small, and what kind are you having?
We had a small wedding in Kent. I wore a white medievil style dress and my flowers were pale blue. My bridesmaid wore pale blue too. We had a rat bride and groom on our cake (we met through a club for rat lovers) and we released 6 white doves. It was a civil wedding.
We also had a church blessing in Lexington, MA, for Mark's family only. It was nice because his grandmother was in her 80s and couldn't come to London. I had a different dress, a strapless one, and my sister-in-law was my bridesmaid.
Our wedding will be on August 11 in St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands. It will be very small, both our parents and just a few of our close friends. We will also be spending the rest of the week there after our wedding for our honeymoon

Kari
Old May 28th 2003, 3:41 pm
not a newbie

soulsender is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We are going with Vegas

small tasteful ceremony and a small 50 person reception.
Old May 28th 2003, 4:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you should bring that subject up, it's been on my mind lately! Mine probably won't happen until the end of this year, but here's what I have in mind:

I'd like to book a suite at one of the nice resorts here in Phoenix which has a balcony that overlooks the mountains. At sunset, we'll take our vows on the balcony with about 6 people in attendance (including my parents, sister, and a couple of close friends). We'll all go out for a nice dinner to celebrate, then my new husband and I will come back to the suite and enjoy our wedding night :-)

I've just started thinking about a dress. Cream color, floor length, very simple, long sleeve, is what I have in mind. Hope I can find one like that!

After we finish all the necessary paperwork and can relax a little more into real life, we can throw a big party for all friends and family to attend and meet my better half.

Sometime later we'll go have the ceremony in the mosque for our Islamic marriage.

I think we're having an advance honeymoon in England and Holland on our way back from Turkey to America. If that doesn't happen, no biggie, as someone posted here before, every day is a honeymoon when you're finally with the love of your life!

Well, that's what I daydream about :-)
Rene
Old May 28th 2003, 4:11 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

www.alfredangelo.com had lovely dresses when I was looking! You might be able to find a simple long sleeved dress there.
Old May 28th 2003, 4:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

www.alfredangelo.com had lovely dresses when I was looking! You might be able to find a simple long sleeved dress there.
Thank you for the link! I'm on my way to take a look! :-)
Rene
Old May 28th 2003, 4:23 pm
Welsh Wife

JohnCindy is on a distinguished road

Hopefully, upon approval tomorrow in London, our ceremony will be held on July 19th.......... our friends and family about 50 to attend. No honeymoon we are going to wait til next year and have a reaffirmation of our vows in Wales for all who couldn't attend here....... so maybe I'll get to wear my dress twice!!
Old May 28th 2003, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

We're planning a very simple wedding at sunset on the beach (we wanted Muir Woods but they are Fussy). Just me, Dekkie, my kids, and if other relatives want to come those long distances they are welcome. Afterwards a wedding supper somewhere nice.

I finally cut the fabric for my wedding dress last week, but that sewing machine hasn't started yelling loud enough yet so I haven't even basted it <grin>. It's very simple.
Old May 28th 2003, 4:34 pm
Jacqueline Bergstedt

If you don't want to go the whole hog with the big white dress, but still
want something special, I think the nice thing in the US are the prom
dresses which of course are plentiful and fairly cheap in comparison to the
choices in England.

Something I find a little disconcerting about US weddings is wearing evening
dresses to the church. They don't seem to go in for those lovely summery
pastel suits and gauzy dresses. And you get the vamps in blood red numbers
with boobs just about covered. I attended one recently and was persuaded to
wear by the US girls high heeled black velvet and diamante shoes with a
black gauzy affair. I felt very odd at 11AM walking into a church like
that. Is it like that across the country, or just here in the Mid-West?
Regards, Jacqueline
"MrsLondon" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > www.alfredangelo.com had lovely dresses when I was looking!
    > You might be able to find a simple long sleeved dress there.
    > --
    > Married to an American
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 28th 2003, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevelisaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jacqueline Bergstedt
choices in England.

Something I find a little disconcerting about US weddings is wearing evening
dresses to the church. They don't seem to go in for those lovely summery
pastel suits and gauzy dresses. And you get the vamps in blood red numbers
with boobs just about covered. I attended one recently and was persuaded to
wear by the US girls high heeled black velvet and diamante shoes with a
black gauzy affair. I felt very odd at 11AM walking into a church like
that. Is it like that across the country, or just here in the Mid-West?
Regards, Jacqueline
I don't know what area you are in, but I was taught that you never wear anything vulgar or that will outshine the bride. And NEVER ever were to wear red to a wedding. That's just tacky.

Lisa
Old May 28th 2003, 5:04 pm

Originally posted by Jacqueline Bergstedt
choices in England.
I agree with you Jacqueline. Several years ago I happened to be browsing Jessica McClintock formal dresses for another reason, and found one that would make a perfect simple wedding dress. Of course, do you think I can find something like that on their line now? No....LOL
Old May 28th 2003, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevelisaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Noorah101
I agree with you Jacqueline. Several years ago I happened to be browsing Jessica McClintock formal dresses for another reason, and found one that would make a perfect simple wedding dress. Of course, do you think I can find something like that on their line now? No....LOL
For our quick wedding I found a McClintock on the 70% off rack in off white (guess not many girls liked the style or colour for a prom dress.) In the end I paid for less than $50 for what originally was nearly a $200 dress. (But our wedding was in October.....so all the formals were coming out in Red & Black for upcoming Christmas formals) I felt I hit the Jackpot when I found it!
Old May 28th 2003, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Linda & Eric is an unknown quantity at this point

Set for Oct 25, we are going the traditional route. We'll be married in the reception hall which has a beautiful lit trellis. We figured it might be too hard to get everyone from overseas a ride to and from the ceremony site to the reception and home.

I'll be in a traditional white gown with all the beading. My matron of honor (my sister) will wear burgundy and her daughter who's 6 will be the flower girl will wear pink. My son 13 will be the best man, second son 11will be an usher. My youngest 5, will be the ring bearer. Haven't decided on a color for the tuxes yet.

Small reception of about 50-60 people, but with all of the tradidional US wedding stuff.
Old May 28th 2003, 5:26 pm

Originally posted by stevelisaw
For our quick wedding I found a McClintock on the 70% off rack in off white (guess not many girls liked the style or colour for a prom dress.) In the end I paid for less than $50 for what originally was nearly a $200 dress. (But our wedding was in October.....so all the formals were coming out in Red & Black for upcoming Christmas formals) I felt I hit the Jackpot when I found it!
ooooohhhhh, lucky lucky lucky! :-)
Old May 28th 2003, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Kattosha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wedding ceremoney

We had a quickie at a wedding chapel in Vegas, mainly because we wanted a no stress wedding, and partially so we could get the paperwork filed before my visa ran out.

However this fall we plan on redoing the wedding. This is mainly to placate friends and family who complained about not being invited.

Seeing as both of us are ren faire addicts, as are most of our friends, we are doing a renaissance style wedding complete with swords and armor. and seeing as we are already married we don't need to worry over as many of the stupid little details and can proceed unhindered.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.