Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

O/T What kind of wedding?

O/T What kind of wedding?

Old May 29th 2003, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

hmiller is an unknown quantity at this point

For our May 3rd wedding we opted for something simple after all the stress we had already been through. We found an old Victorian house that hosted outdoor weddings. They also doubled as a flower shop and provided catering service for the reception.

It was wonderful because the minister was also the wedding coordinator and she took care of EVERYTHING. At our first meeting we had everything from flowers, to the wedding cake decided. She took care of booking all the vendors for us so we didn't have to worry about interviewing anyone or paying a deposit to each one. On our wedding day I showed up an hour before to get dressed and had absolutely nothing to do but relax. It really made the day even more magical because everything was taken care of and we could visit with family and friends and completely enjoy the day and our bliss.

We only had about 20 people in attendance but his family from Holland was able to attend which made the day even more wonderful. And what better way to end a perfect day than to leave by horse and carriage to the honeymoon suite
Old May 29th 2003, 4:31 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by hmiller
For our May 3rd wedding we opted for something simple after all the stress we had already been through. We found an old Victorian house that hosted outdoor weddings. They also doubled as a flower shop and provided catering service for the reception.

It was wonderful because the minister was also the wedding coordinator and she took care of EVERYTHING. At our first meeting we had everything from flowers, to the wedding cake decided. She took care of booking all the vendors for us so we didn't have to worry about interviewing anyone or paying a deposit to each one. On our wedding day I showed up an hour before to get dressed and had absolutely nothing to do but relax. It really made the day even more magical because everything was taken care of and we could visit with family and friends and completely enjoy the day and our bliss.

We only had about 20 people in attendance but his family from Holland was able to attend which made the day even more wonderful. And what better way to end a perfect day than to leave by horse and carriage to the honeymoon suite
Would love to see those wedding pix. Do you have them anywhere online??
Old May 29th 2003, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevelisaw is an unknown quantity at this point

And what better way to end a perfect day than to leave by horse and carriage to the honeymoon suite
Now that is romantic!

Lisa
Old May 29th 2003, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

hmiller is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just a few that a friend posted on his website. We should be getting the rest of our pictures back in a couple weeks and I'll post more Hard to tell what a beautiful day it was from the black and whites. We were married in the bavarian town of Leavenworth, WA at a place called The Wedding Haus.

http://www.leaskfamily.com/heather/heather1.htm
Old May 29th 2003, 5:26 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Caro
Maybe it depends on the church... People I know were told at the church we went to that it was not possible. So, my mistake!

Caroline
Caroline - it depends upon the priest and how much you hassle them

Nothing wrong with stating from your own personal experience!
Old May 29th 2003, 5:27 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

I have just a few that a friend posted on his website. We should be getting the rest of our pictures back in a couple weeks and I'll post more Hard to tell what a beautiful day it was from the black and whites. We were married in the bavarian town of Leavenworth, WA at a place called The Wedding Haus.

I've been there, cute place. People there though it was funny that I was from Incline Village and was visiting Leavenworth..lol
Old May 29th 2003, 5:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that's so pretty! Thanks for sharing! :-)
Rene
Old May 29th 2003, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lairdside
Caroline - it depends upon the priest and how much you hassle them
I went the other way. I was offered a Mass by the priest, and went for a Blessing!

Caroline
Old May 29th 2003, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Lovely pictures! Thanks for sharing them
Old May 29th 2003, 6:01 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Thanks for sharing, Heather. The photos are really beautiful. We were in Leavenworth a few days before your wedding and the weather was glorious! The Wedding Haus sounds like the place where Ken and I can renew our wedding vows somewhere down the road. Hmmmm........
Old May 29th 2003, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

Is anyone (or did they) incorporating customs from both countries into their wedding?
The entrance and exit music for the church were definitely on the American side, although I managed to get out of the "Here comes the bride" entrance [difficult to explain why it would not have been very appropriate]. The ceremony had all the readings in english, and the church booklet was bilingual (spent a lot of time on that to have the two languages line up correctly...).

As a surprise to my husband, my mom had put a little Eiffel Tower (painted in white) in the centerpiece of our table. He just loves the Eiffel Tower...

Caroline
Old May 29th 2003, 7:53 pm
Andy Platt

Default Re: O/T What kind of wedding?

"MrsLondon" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Is anyone (or did they) incorporating customs from both countries into
    > their wedding?
    > We had an American style sponge cake (much nicer than a traditional
    > British fruit cake!)
    > Mark wore a tuxedo (nicer than a morning suit IMHO!)
    > BUT we had our bridesmaid follow us down the aisle instead of walk in
    > front and worded the invites in the British way rather than the US way
    > ("pleasure of your company" rather than "honor of your presence")

I mentioned a couple in my post. On these specific points we:

a) Used a sponge cake too but had the icing so it looked more like British
icing than frosting
b) Wore a semi-morning suit. Our wedding was an evening one anyway so
morning suits were out of the question. However, I don't like straight
tuxes. Best way to describe them is this picture:

http://www.his.com/~ajp/day_6.htm

(It's a little difficult to see in the picture but me and my best man had
longer jackets and cravats; the ushers, my father and my father-in-law had
shorter jackets and ties).

c) Deana's bridesmaids followed her down the aisle (English style) but the
mothers proceeded them (US style).
d) We used the US wording on the invites but note that US invites should say
"honour" *not* "honor" since that is still the formal spelling. Etiquette
never fails to amaze me!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old May 30th 2003, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Linda & Eric is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahhh found out today that I will be able to get a translator for our wedding as a surprise for Eric's mum. Thought she and the other French guests would enjoy hearing the ceremony in their native tongue.
Old May 30th 2003, 4:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Linda & Eric
Ahhh found out today that I will be able to get a translator for our wedding as a surprise for Eric's mum. Thought she and the other French guests would enjoy hearing the ceremony in their native tongue.
What a nice surprise! I'm sure they'll really appreciate that! I'll probably have to have a translator for my husband, too. I'd like him to know what he's saying "I DO" to. LOL :-)
Rene
Old May 30th 2003, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

IrishPrince is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: O/T What kind of wedding?

We had our wedding this past Saturday, May 24th. The ceremony and the reception were at the same place; a lovely wedding banquet hall, which specialized in organizing the service as well. The pastor was wonderful, funny and light but reverent. There were 70 guests and all the kids were part of the wedding. We also lit a Unity Candle together, my bride, myself and the kids. It was beautiful. The bridesmaids wore celadon (a silver/green) dresses and the groomsmen, black & white tuxedos. We had two flower girls and a ring bearer. We used our own choice of music
foregoing the traditional bridal march: “First Love� ( a piano piece) for the bridal procession and “From this Moment� for the bride herself. Our first dance was to “Rainbow Connection� as we are both fans of the Muppets and found the song beautiful. The reception was five hours long but time just flew. We also had a number of my friends fly in for the wedding from Ireland and the UK, so that was an extra treat. From the responses, I’d say much fun was had by all!