Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

O/T: Renewed Driver License

Wikiposts

O/T: Renewed Driver License

Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:10 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: O/T: Renewed Driver License

Originally Posted by katesuitersback
Ssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!! Yes, next month. I was just planning on getting a haircut, but my mum decided that she wants to go to Gracelands and suggested the two of us go for my birthday. Still researching airfares & stuff, so I don't know just yet.

Kate. xxx
Happy Birthday. When the pressure of planning our wedding got too much hubby and I considered running off to Vegas and availing ourselves of the services of an Elvis impersonator! Would have made my mother cry.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 20th 2005, 12:04 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Yeah. I think that's why England changed. Used to be your license was valid until your 70th birthday. Now they're valid for 10 years and you have to pay to renew them.
Thats exactly how it used to be in NZ too now they are for 10 years renewal on your birthday. Think it was just another way for them to make more money out of us huh? Oh well 10 years still is pretty decent. The system here is an awful lot cheaper so Ive no complaints except the time its taking for my driving permit to arrive in the mail. Got the learners permit within 2 weeks of sitting the written test. When I sat & passed the driving test I was told Homeland Security would have to check my things again but as I am already in the system due to my learners permit it wouldnt take as long as the learners permit??? Yeah right its been more than a month since I passed the test & Im still carrying a letter from the BMV stating I am a fully lisenced driver. Wheres my real lisence then Huh??
Old Jun 20th 2005, 12:16 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shepslady
Thats exactly how it used to be in NZ too now they are for 10 years renewal on your birthday. Think it was just another way for them to make more money out of us huh? Oh well 10 years still is pretty decent. The system here is an awful lot cheaper so Ive no complaints except the time its taking for my driving permit to arrive in the mail. Got the learners permit within 2 weeks of sitting the written test. When I sat & passed the driving test I was told Homeland Security would have to check my things again but as I am already in the system due to my learners permit it wouldnt take as long as the learners permit??? Yeah right its been more than a month since I passed the test & Im still carrying a letter from the BMV stating I am a fully lisenced driver. Wheres my real lisence then Huh??
How strange. I just went in, took my test, got a paper license with my laminated one following straight after. Less than a fortnight I think, definitely less than a month. No checks, nothing. Arbitary!
Old Jun 20th 2005, 12:23 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

How strange. I just went in, took my test, got a paper license with my laminated one following straight after. Less than a fortnight I think, definitely less than a month. No checks, nothing. Arbitary!
Guess each state does it their own way. They made photo copies of my passport showing visa, my social security card, my EAD, a bank statement & a utility bill!! Went through exactly the same procedure both times & although I couldnt understand the need for them to repeat it the second time was happy to follow the rules. Just wondering why its taken so long to get the laminated one in the mail though. Would dearly love to have a US drivers lisence to show when cashing checks, they look rather strangely at my NZ one but once they see my Social security card they dont have a problem with cashing my checks. More than a little strange huh?
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 5:40 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by shepslady
Guess each state does it their own way. They made photo copies of my passport showing visa, my social security card, my EAD, a bank statement & a utility bill!! Went through exactly the same procedure both times & although I couldnt understand the need for them to repeat it the second time was happy to follow the rules. Just wondering why its taken so long to get the laminated one in the mail though. Would dearly love to have a US drivers lisence to show when cashing checks, they look rather strangely at my NZ one but once they see my Social security card they dont have a problem with cashing my checks. More than a little strange huh?
You're right you can never tell. I know of people in CA who have had different experiences to me. From what I gather it seems I got the best deal.

Know what you mean about the UK license. I still flash my UK one though when I'm in the mood. Just amuses me. But then I have the option. So I can smile.

Here's hoping you get yours soon. Keep us posted.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 9:52 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

You're right you can never tell. I know of people in CA who have had different experiences to me. From what I gather it seems I got the best deal.

Know what you mean about the UK license. I still flash my UK one though when I'm in the mood. Just amuses me. But then I have the option. So I can smile.

Here's hoping you get yours soon. Keep us posted.

5 weeks & still waiting & no smiles from this end yet!!