Wikiposts

O/T: Please help!!!!!

Old Mar 7th 2003, 8:59 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default O/T: Please help!!!!!

Just when I thought life was great.......WHAM!!!!!!!!!!

Brief outline.......did everything correctly for my K1 journey so far.....got the work stamp, got my SSN, got a job etc.....I've been with my employer for a week, and now they just told me that they can't keep me on as they can't afford to train me and then have to let me go while I wait for my AOS EAD. I can't believe this!!! We're not the richest people in the world, and now I'm panicking as I need a new job asap. Can anyone recommend any great resources for employment? My temp EAD expires at the end of April, so I can work til then, but for our own reasons, we didn't want to get married the minute I stepped off the plane. I know I will now have to stop work in between end of April til whenever I get my new EAD, but I also know we can save enough to tide us over for that time, if only I can get a job fast.

Please, no posts telling me we should've got married sooner. We have our reasons, and I was aware of the whole situation, but I just need a few good leads. Be gentle. Thanks in advance.
Kate. xxxxx
Old Mar 7th 2003, 10:17 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: O/T: Please help!!!!!

The only lead I can give is if you do the type of work that qualifies you to work for a temp agency to register with them and work "piece meal" as it is called up here. You know, three days in one office, two in another, a week over there.

Rete

Originally posted by katesuiter1

Brief outline.......did everything correctly for my K1 journey so far.....got the work stamp, got my SSN, got a job etc.....I've been with my employer for a week, and now they just told me that they can't keep me on as they can't afford to train me and then have to let me go while I wait for my AOS EAD. I can't believe this!!! We're not the richest people in the world, and now I'm panicking as I need a new job asap. Can anyone recommend any great resources for employment? My temp EAD expires at the end of April, so I can work til then, but for our own reasons, we didn't want to get married the minute I stepped off the plane. I know I will now have to stop work in between end of April til whenever I get my new EAD, but I also know we can save enough to tide us over for that time, if only I can get a job fast.

Please, no posts telling me we should've got married sooner. We have our reasons, and I was aware of the whole situation, but I just need a few good leads. Be gentle. Thanks in advance.
Kate. xxxxx
Old Mar 7th 2003, 11:50 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Kate, bad-ish news, but not the end o' the world, not with your great attitude!

Hey, I'm working in a shop and a cafe right now, hardly my career plan but it keeps beans and toast on the table. The bigger benefit is the contacts I'm making, which has already led to 2 freelancing jobs for me and one for the DAH. Maybe time to beat the streets and some face time.

All you K1ers out there would hate the DAH if you knew he has the whole enchilada green card but doesn't want a 9-5 <g>.
<shrug> It's our agreement, & he sure is lucky that he brings home the bacon without having a "job"!
Old Mar 7th 2003, 3:34 pm
Danielle Folz

There are some BCIS offices where you can file the AOS in person, plus
they'll do the EAD same day.

Call the 1-800#, punch in your zip and they'll give you the closest office.
Listen to the prerecorded message and it'll tell you (after giving opening
hours, driving directions etc - wait a while) what forms they accept and the
approximate processing times. You might be lucky!

Our closest is 90 mins away and will set you up with the EAD same day. AOS
isn't same day though, obviously.

Good luck,

Matt

Old Mar 7th 2003, 9:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Kate is using Miami BCIS and they do not do same day EAD. This is something she is very aware of.

Rete

Originally posted by Danielle Folz
There are some BCIS offices where you can file the AOS in person, plus
they'll do the EAD same day.

Call the 1-800#, punch in your zip and they'll give you the closest office.
Listen to the prerecorded message and it'll tell you (after giving opening
hours, driving directions etc - wait a while) what forms they accept and the
approximate processing times. You might be lucky!

Our closest is 90 mins away and will set you up with the EAD same day. AOS
isn't same day though, obviously.

Good luck,

Matt
Old Mar 7th 2003, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

angeles73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Kate, call me. I'm an HR Coordinator. I may be able to help you at least until you find something else.

By the way, your employment authorization IS your K-1 visa. What they are doing is ilegal. They think you don't have papers and the HR person is probably ignorant on the law.

Come see me or call me. I'm being moved into a new office on Monday so I'll be in the office cleaning it out. I'll have my cell on today. Don't worry girl, we'll figure it out.

Ange

Kate. xxxxx
Old Mar 8th 2003, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

mavengirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kate.
This is probably off the subject but i have a question for you.
My name is Joel and i am the alien fiance of Shannon and we just got approved (WOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!) Our 1st notice of action was the day after yours.
My qusstion to you is: How long did it take after your approval until the embassy in the foreign country got all the papers? That is the only thing we are waiting for right now and i hope you can answer my question

Good luck Corey and Kate

Joel, Sweden
Old Mar 8th 2003, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Mavengirl, look at the bottom of Kate's post and her timeline is there. She sent the original 2nd NOA (that her USC Fiance sent to her express) to the London Embassy to speed things along rather than wait for it to arrive from the TSC. Not all Embassies or Consulates do this and since the takeover of Homeland Security it's even more up in the air.

Kate, I can't help from Atlanta unfortunately but go see Angeles.......networking is the way to go in the US and I am sure she can point you in the right direction or help. You and I both know the chick rocks! LOL

Cheers,

Leslie
Old Mar 8th 2003, 1:22 am
Concierge

Originally posted by angeles73
Kate, call me. I'm an HR Coordinator. I may be able to help you at least until you find something else.

By the way, your employment authorization IS your K-1 visa. What they are doing is ilegal. They think you don't have papers and the HR person is probably ignorant on the law.

Come see me or call me. I'm being moved into a new office on Monday so I'll be in the office cleaning it out. I'll have my cell on today. Don't worry girl, we'll figure it out.

Ange
What are they doing that is illegal? She has an EAD, albeit a 90 day one. They don't think she doesn't have papers. They know she has papers and they know she will have an interval during which she will not have work authorization.

Rete