Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

O/T: Got me a job!!! Woo hoo!!!

Wikiposts

O/T: Got me a job!!! Woo hoo!!!

Old Sep 11th 2003, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Lee, I really don't think it's wise to take the test without ever having driven a car with the steering wheel on the left. Why don't you apply for a learner's permit first then take the DL road test once you have practiced on the roads? You will need your own car and you will need proof of insurance in most states.

Cheers,

Leslie
Old Sep 11th 2003, 6:20 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Scout
Lee, I really don't think it's wise to take the test without ever having driven a car with the steering wheel on the left. Why don't you apply for a learner's permit first then take the DL road test once you have practiced on the roads? You will need your own car and you will need proof of insurance in most states.

Cheers,

Leslie
I agree w/ Leslie. I have a British friend who flunked her U.S. driving test 6 times, some of it was the written but most of it was lack of practise behind the wheel. Road signs and traffic laws are a big part of the written test and she wasn't familiar w/ any of those either. Check around for a driving school close to you, the one in my town guarantees you will get your drivers license or your money back.

Leslie
Old Sep 11th 2003, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

eiloo is an unknown quantity at this point

We'd heard that sometimes if you already have a driver's license from another country, they don't make you take the test, but he had to take it anyway.
I can vouch for that coming from Canada and getting my MD licence... a wait in 3 lines at the MVA and $45 less... you'll have it... I know depending on the country of origin... you'll have to do written and road tests. I also was able to keep my Ontario licence too.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dbark
Yes they do!! The approved (by TSC) petitions do go through the NVC for security checks prior to being sent to the beneficiary's consulate.

Debbie
Please share with us how your interview went once you go for it.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 8:01 am
Dreaming of the bay

tbiller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by leebarton
ummm I didnt realise there was going to be a driving part to the test... what happens if I walk there and haven't got a car, in fact I wont have ever sat behind the wheel of a US car before the day of the test , and wont have driven in 3 months or so hehe
You are kidding, right?
Old Sep 11th 2003, 8:13 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by eiloo
I can vouch for that coming from Canada and getting my MD licence... a wait in 3 lines at the MVA and $45 less... you'll have it... I know depending on the country of origin... you'll have to do written and road tests. I also was able to keep my Ontario licence too.
Everyone I know who has been through it has had to take the written and driving test, even though they had their drivers license from another country. The friends I'm referring to are from Canada, Mexico, England, and Morocco.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 6:22 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by veryfunny
Please share with us how your interview went once you go for it.
Naturally I will -- it is those interview/medical stories that have helped me feel ok about mine. And there will be several interview write-ups on this forum before mine - Careybear's fiance has his on Monday, Amylass's husband next Wednesday .. to mention a couple.

Debbie
Old Sep 11th 2003, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dbark
Naturally I will -- it is those interview/medical stories that have helped me feel ok about mine. And there will be several interview write-ups on this forum before mine - Careybear's fiance has his on Monday, Amylass's husband next Wednesday .. to mention a couple.

Debbie
Thanks, I do not know when I will have mine but I always like preparing ahead of time.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 6:41 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by shaley74
you must have gotten the job of a street prostitute, because of your evil ways. In my country you can make 20.00 a night being a bar girl. You are the same type of evil woman as these are

Riiiiiiiiiiight. Shut up.

Kate.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Will this idiot ever give up and go away?
Old Oct 7th 2003, 8:27 am
WTF?

Originally posted by Scout
Will this idiot ever give up and go away?

No. We're the only friends he has.

Leslie