Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

O/T: Got me a job!!! Woo hoo!!!

Wikiposts

O/T: Got me a job!!! Woo hoo!!!

Old Mar 3rd 2003, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

beyness is an unknown quantity at this point

That's great Kate! Question for you.. Greg just got his SS card with the "Work only with INS Authorization thing" and I was wondering, once he gets his EAD, does he have to get a new card to get employment or does showing the card and EAD together prove him eligible for work.. do we ever need to get a new card or is this the permanant one?
Old Mar 3rd 2003, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got his SS card with the "Work only with INS Authorization thing" and I was wondering, once he gets his EAD, does he have to get a new card to get employment or does showing the card and EAD together prove him eligible for work.. do we ever need to get a new card or is this the permanant one?
He will keep his card until he gets approved for the AOS. Once he is approved and therefore a permanent resident, he will have to apply for a new SS card without restriction.

Caroline
Old Sep 11th 2003, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: O/T: Got me a job!!! Woo hoo!!!

Originally posted by katesuiter1
Yay!!!!! Got a job today, and start on Monday!!! I'm so glad! It's ok being a lady of leisure for a while, but I'm starting to go a bit loopy now! There's only so many movies I can watch in one day!!!! Plus I feel like all the time spent waiting for my SSN has finally paid off! Yippeeeeee!!!!!!!
Kate. xxxxxxx
Question: How different is the US driving test to the UK one?
THX
Old Sep 11th 2003, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by veryfunny
Question: How different is the US driving test to the UK one?
THX
If you already hold a UK license then you will be surprised how easy it is in comparison. I sat a 3 hour drink and drug class, completed a 20 question test on computer and a driving test consisting of parallel parking, 3 point turn and reversing, along with observation of junctions etc, all on a private lot at the end of the test centre.

However if you are a new driver you will have to go through a lot of class work first before sitting a test. These tests and requirements vary from state to state so check with your local Motor Vehicle Centre. In my opinion the UK test is far tougher, but then it was a long time ago that I sat mine.

Rob
Old Sep 11th 2003, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

leebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really nice

RobClews... are you on the west coast... MD or DC maybe?? I can't remember and am just about to try and get my MD driving license in the next couple weeks....

Lee
Old Sep 11th 2003, 4:27 am
Dreamer

OlenkaKyiv will become famous soon enough

Kate!!! My congratulations to you !!!! But please, even working don't forget about your site you started to make

Olenka
Old Sep 11th 2003, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by robclews
If you already hold a UK license then you will be surprised how easy it is in comparison. I sat a 3 hour drink and drug class, completed a 20 question test on computer and a driving test consisting of parallel parking, 3 point turn and reversing, along with observation of junctions etc, all on a private lot at the end of the test centre.

However if you are a new driver you will have to go through a lot of class work first before sitting a test. These tests and requirements vary from state to state so check with your local Motor Vehicle Centre. In my opinion the UK test is far tougher, but then it was a long time ago that I sat mine.

Rob

Thanks, yes I do have a UK license but do all states have the same test?
Old Sep 11th 2003, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

DL requirements to pass the test vary from state to state. Someone's experience in one state is not necessarily relevant to another states regulations. Here in GA, my husband had to take no classes or course work. He had to swear he had 40 hours daytime driving experience under his learner's permit and 8 hours night time driving experience. He took a 40 question written test (very easy) and a 15 to 20 minute road test that was conducted in the State Patrol parking lot as well as on the open road. He managed to flatten one of the cones in the parallel parking test (he couldn't see it since he was driving my SUV) and he still passed the test. He thought it was waaaaaay to easy.

Good luck on your test and don't sweat it. Even if you flunk, you will no what to expect the next time around.

Cheers,

Leslie
Old Sep 11th 2003, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Scout
DL requirements to pass the test vary from state to state. Someone's experience in one state is not necessarily relevant to another states regulations. Here in GA, my husband had to take no classes or course work. He had to swear he had 40 hours daytime driving experience under his learner's permit and 8 hours night time driving experience. He took a 40 question written test (very easy) and a 15 to 20 minute road test that was conducted in the State Patrol parking lot as well as on the open road. He managed to flatten one of the cones in the parallel parking test (he couldn't see it since he was driving my SUV) and he still passed the test. He thought it was waaaaaay to easy.

Good luck on your test and don't sweat it. Even if you flunk, you will no what to expect the next time around.

Cheers,

Leslie
Thanks, just thinking ahead of time that all.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

No problem................we all do that. If I had to hazard a guess.......if you're an experience British Driver, our DL testing shouldn't prove to be too much of a problem.

Cheers,

Leslie
Old Sep 11th 2003, 4:48 am
former Rochesterian

katina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by leebarton
RobClews... are you on the west coast... MD or DC maybe?? I can't remember and am just about to try and get my MD driving license in the next couple weeks....

Lee
My husband took the MD test, in July I think, and it was no problem really. It was definitely easier than the NY test, which is where I got my original license. He just practiced a lot of parallel parking before the test and that helped. When he first got here he took some driving lessons just to get used to driving here, and on the other side of the road, and those helped too because the instructor told him a lot about the test and how to pass it. The worst part of the whole thing is going to the MVA! Good luck!
Old Sep 11th 2003, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Scout
No problem................we all do that. If I had to hazard a guess.......if you're an experience British Driver, our DL testing shouldn't prove to be too much of a problem.

Cheers,

Leslie
Thanks, I noticed that you went through TSC as I am. Do all K1's from TSC go to NVC?
Old Sep 11th 2003, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

leebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really nice

ummm I didnt realise there was going to be a driving part to the test... what happens if I walk there and haven't got a car, in fact I wont have ever sat behind the wheel of a US car before the day of the test , and wont have driven in 3 months or so hehe
Old Sep 11th 2003, 5:59 am
former Rochesterian

katina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by leebarton
ummm I didnt realise there was going to be a driving part to the test... what happens if I walk there and haven't got a car, in fact I wont have ever sat behind the wheel of a US car before the day of the test , and wont have driven in 3 months or so hehe
Hmm, I think you have to bring your own car for the road test... Maybe you could rent a car for a day? I would really recommend the thing that Clem did -- the driving lessons, I mean. He knew how to drive already, but the lessons were helpful. You should send him a PM (he's ccalgreen) if you have any questions; I don't think he'd mind.
We'd heard that sometimes if you already have a driver's license from another country, they don't make you take the test, but he had to take it anyway.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 6:00 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by veryfunny
Thanks, I noticed that you went through TSC as I am. Do all K1's from TSC go to NVC?
Yes they do!! The approved (by TSC) petitions do go through the NVC for security checks prior to being sent to the beneficiary's consulate.

Debbie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.