Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

O/T: This EAD issue sucks arse

Wikiposts

O/T: This EAD issue sucks arse

Old May 20th 2004, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: O/T: This EAD issue sucks arse

Originally posted by Rete
So what you are saying is that even if you were able to walk into your district office tomorrow with your AOS paperwork and your husband were able to walk out with an EAD good for one year in his hands, he still would not be able to take the position because he has no way to get to it.

So then the issue of the non-existent one year EAD is not really an issue at all. You are caught in a catch-22 situation. No money or credit to buy a car, no job without a car, no car, no job, no money, no credit.

Hmmmm maybe the honeymoon in Hawaii should have been the honeymoon in the back seat of the new auto.

<smiling widely>

Rete
No no..I wish we could have had that honeymoon in Hawaii, I never would have came back!

Well, at least if he had the firm offer, he'd have a written job offer, and we could take that letter to the bank as proof of his additional income and hopefully walk away with a small loan for a sorta cheap car.

I know that a job letter wouldn't garauntee us the car loan, but I think it would help - I know of a few people at a bank that may be willing to help.

It's all a moot point anyways.
Old May 20th 2004, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

USimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Hey Jamie!!

I am so sorry!!

I was told that by the time the 90 day EAD expires you should receive the year one in the mail.. aww I hope I don't have to request an interim EAD.. that would royally suck!
Take care!
I still didn't get approved for my EAD application and it's been over 2 months and 2 days now! I hope that i will receive my EAD Card before the 90 day limit cause i will have to travel to the local district office to pick up an interim EAD in which i will have to pay money for gas
Old May 20th 2004, 9:47 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

James,

I think the group had this discussion - what is work (employment), which is not allowed without an EAD, and what is volunteer 'work', which is allowed - a few weeks ago.

I don't know if there was a consensus, but the opinion was put forth that doing something for free that the folks in the cubes all around you are getting paid to do is not volunteer work. In other words, unpaid work that will soon be paid work, and is paid work for everyone else, is nevertheless employment.

It's the employer that is on the line for the penalties, and I think most knowledgable employers like to stay a good distance on the safe side of the issue.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by mcjimbo
How about him working free of charge, almost like unpaid work experience for them until his EAD comes through?

That way they get there man and don't have to pay him for XX number of months. Surely to any employer if they can save a few bucks and get the right man for the job they'd go for it?

James
Old May 20th 2004, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

buffalo24 is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel your pain...my husband had basically the same thing happen to him with the perfect job offer with great benefits, etc., etc. We thought everything was great because our local office did walk-in EADs (according to their website). The night we got back from our wedding trip, they had updated their website to reflect the fact that they no longer process the EADs at their office, but now they were done at the NBC instead - grrrr.
Old May 20th 2004, 10:00 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by buffalo24
I feel your pain...my husband had basically the same thing happen to him with the perfect job offer with great benefits, etc., etc. We thought everything was great because our local office did walk-in EADs (according to their website). The night we got back from our wedding trip, they had updated their website to reflect the fact that they no longer process the EADs at their office, but now they were done at the NBC instead - grrrr.
Hey there!

Denver does not longer process EAD'S, the applications are being sent to MSC too. The fact that the EAD applications are now being processed by MSC.. does not mean you can't get an interim EAD, they are 2 different concepts
Old May 20th 2004, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

buffalo24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Hey there!

Denver does not longer process EAD'S, the applications are being sent to MSC too. The fact that the EAD applications are now being processed by MSC.. does not mean you can't get an interim EAD, they are 2 different concepts
Thanks Yeah, I know they're 2 different things...what I meant was, Buffalo used to process 1 year EADs on the spot when they were still processing them.
Old May 21st 2004, 7:38 am
Just Joined

Britgrrl is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, I feel your pain, too. We got hit with the same thing at Buffalo. We applied for my husband's EAD just days after the change - and didn't know till we got up to that counter that we wouldn't be walking out with an EAD. It sucked.

It's been two months and his card just came, so I can't complain too much since we didn't have to get an interim. Now if he can just manage to find employment...