Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

O/T: This EAD issue sucks arse

Wikiposts

O/T: This EAD issue sucks arse

Old May 20th 2004, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default O/T: This EAD issue sucks arse

This is just a little rant, so ignore if ya want to. So we get a call last week while we're gone on our honeymoon. A recruiter spotted Scott's resume on Career Builder and liked what she saw. We contacted her back, and a phone interview was set up yesterday. Scott spoke to her about 30-45 minutes, and all sounded really good. The potential job location was great, considering we live out in the sticks and there wouldn't be much of a commute, and the salary was excellent. Then we get to the EAD issue. Because of the f***ing possible time gap between the 90 temp EAD and the 1 yr EAD, he will most likely not get offered this job. If only they got the 1 yr EAD's processed quicker we wouldn't have this problem, but there's wishful thinking.

The kicker is, the lady did basically tell him that he could probably get the job, except for the EAD problem. Needless to say, this really pisses me off - knowing he could have a job, and get his career started here but we'll lose out because of USCIS's sluggishness in processing EAD's. She said she was going to check with her Legal dept to see if there would be a problem, but I'm positive there will be an issue. At least she was familiar with working with people that have EADs.

ARRGHGHG!!!! It's just soo not fair...

Jamie
Old May 20th 2004, 2:31 am
USCIS Victim

YtsejaM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: O/T: This EAD issue sucks arse

Frankly, I can't understand why the CIS issues these 90 day K1 EADs when they know they will expire before the 1 year EAD is received. Perhaps they're into temp labor.
Old May 20th 2004, 2:57 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not to be hard nose, but your situation is not unusual and one of the reasons why getting the 90 day temp EAD quite often is more of a pain than not having it (getting employment and then having to give it up) or job hunting too soon. If you are not eligible to take employment, then perhaps it is prudent to hold off looking for it until you are qualified to work.

Just my thoughts on situations like yours and yes, I agree the system makes no sense the way it is. Something has got to be done to insure a continuity of employment for qualfiied persons.

Rete

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
This is just a little rant, so ignore if ya want to. So we get a call last week while we're gone on our honeymoon. A recruiter spotted Scott's resume on Career Builder and liked what she saw. We contacted her back, and a phone interview was set up yesterday. Scott spoke to her about 30-45 minutes, and all sounded really good. The potential job location was great, considering we live out in the sticks and there wouldn't be much of a commute, and the salary was excellent. Then we get to the EAD issue. Because of the f***ing possible time gap between the 90 temp EAD and the 1 yr EAD, he will most likely not get offered this job. If only they got the 1 yr EAD's processed quicker we wouldn't have this problem, but there's wishful thinking.

The kicker is, the lady did basically tell him that he could probably get the job, except for the EAD problem. Needless to say, this really pisses me off - knowing he could have a job, and get his career started here but we'll lose out because of USCIS's sluggishness in processing EAD's. She said she was going to check with her Legal dept to see if there would be a problem, but I'm positive there will be an issue. At least she was familiar with working with people that have EADs.

Jamie
Old May 20th 2004, 2:58 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by YtsejaM
Frankly, I can't understand why the CIS issues these 90 day K1 EADs when they know they will expire before the 1 year EAD is received. Perhaps they're into temp labor.

Because when they insituted the K-1 and the temporary 90 day EAD, getting an EAD was simply a matter of marrying, completing the paperwork, walking into the office, applying and walking out the same day with an EAD good for year. Times have changed the procedure and timelines but not the rudiments of the visa.

Rete
Old May 20th 2004, 4:09 am
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough

sunflwrgrl13,

That sucks, I wish we could be authorized to work right after we get married.... now wouldn't that be easy?

What is the point of making everyone wait for so damn long? Doesn't the U.S. government realise that newly wed's need money and that equals employment?

James
Old May 20th 2004, 4:17 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mcjimbo
sunflwrgrl13,

That sucks, I wish we could be authorized to work right after we get married.... now wouldn't that be easy?

What is the point of making everyone wait for so damn long? Doesn't the U.S. government realise that newly wed's need money and that equals employment?

James
..........and that equals more luvverly taxes for them....!!!

Kate. xxxx
Old May 20th 2004, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by katesuiter1
..........and that equals more luvverly taxes for them....!!!

Kate. xxxx
Oh brother.. One would think that they want our money as soon as possible though and would give that work authorization.

I didn't even think we would be lucky enough for him to find an employer in this area, and now that we know there was a position, and to know that he won't get it just majorly disappoints us.

I wish he could get that darn EAD as soon as we got married, it would make things soo much easier.
Old May 20th 2004, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

utopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the rough

This is bureaucracy at its finest. Your tax dollars at work, or should I say, if you were working they would be your tax dollars at work.

Regarding your question about the government "realising" your plight, it's a big bureaucracy run from Washington, D.C. and it cares nothing about any of the citizens it supposedly serves. And still less about the non-citizens. This is why most of us take more interest in voting for American Idol than the political elections. No matter who you elect, the bureaucracy continues with a "mind" of its own.

Old May 20th 2004, 6:36 am
Jadm

Rete <member167@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Not to be hard nose, but your situation is not unusual and one of the
    > reasons why getting the 90 day temp EAD quite often is more of a pain
    > than not having it (getting employment and then having to give it up) or
    > job hunting too soon. If you are not eligible to take employment, then
    > perhaps it is prudent to hold off looking for it until you are qualified
    > to work.
    >
    > Just my thoughts on situations like yours and yes, I agree the
    > system makes no sense the way it is. Something has got to be done to
    > insure a continuity of employment for qualfiied persons.
    >
    > Rete

I agree...it took my hub 8 months till he could work, then again we
didnt do a K-1 either, but he went crazy and we went broke those 8
months!
    >
    >
    >
    > Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
    > > This is just a
    > little rant, so ignore if ya want to. So we get a call last week while
    > we're gone on our honeymoon. A recruiter spotted Scott's resume on
    > Career Builder and liked what she saw. We contacted her back, and a
    > phone interview was set up yesterday. Scott spoke to her about 30-45
    > minutes, and all sounded really good. The potential job location was
    > great, considering we live out in the sticks and there wouldn't be much
    > of a commute, and the salary was excellent. Then we get to the EAD
    > issue. Because of the f***ing possible time gap between the 90 temp EAD
    > and the 1 yr EAD, he will most likely not get offered this job. If only
    > they got the 1 yr EAD's processed quicker we wouldn't have this problem,
    > but there's wishful thinking.
    > >
    > > The kicker is, the lady did
    > basically tell him that he could probably get the job, except for the
    > EAD problem. Needless to say, this really pisses me off - knowing he
    > could have a job, and get his career started here but we'll lose out
    > because of USCIS's sluggishness in processing EAD's. She said she was
    > going to check with her Legal dept to see if there would be a problem,
    > but I'm positive there will be an issue. At least she was familiar with
    > working with people that have EADs.
    > >
    > > ARRGHGHG!!!! It's just soo not
    > fair...
    > >
    > Jamie

Old May 20th 2004, 7:12 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13 .

The kicker is, the lady did basically tell him that he could probably get the job, except for the EAD problem.
Why on earth did you bring up the "EAD problem"?

If he was employment authorized at the time of his job interview, I personally would have left it at that and tackled future hurdles *if* they arose, when they arose.
Old May 20th 2004, 7:53 am
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough

Oh brother.. One would think that they want our money as soon as possible though and would give that work authorization.

I didn't even think we would be lucky enough for him to find an employer in this area, and now that we know there was a position, and to know that he won't get it just majorly disappoints us.

I wish he could get that darn EAD as soon as we got married, it would make things soo much easier.
How about him working free of charge, almost like unpaid work experience for them until his EAD comes through?

That way they get there man and don't have to pay him for XX number of months. Surely to any employer if they can save a few bucks and get the right man for the job they'd go for it?

James
Old May 20th 2004, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by meauxna
Why on earth did you bring up the "EAD problem"?

If he was employment authorized at the time of his job interview, I personally would have left it at that and tackled future hurdles *if* they arose, when they arose.
Because she specifically asked him when it expired. And he had to explain that it was a temporary one, which she was unfamiliar with (she's used to the nomal plastic EAD cards). Otherwise we probably wouldn't have mentioned it.
Old May 20th 2004, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by mcjimbo
How about him working free of charge, almost like unpaid work experience for them until his EAD comes through?

That way they get there man and don't have to pay him for XX number of months. Surely to any employer if they can save a few bucks and get the right man for the job they'd go for it?

James
That's a thought James, but there's one big problem with that. He would have to have a car to get there (it's about a 45 minute to 1 hr drive), and we only have my car, which I need to get to work. In order for him to get a car loan, he would need to have a paying position because I have too much outstanding credit to get a car loan on my salary alone. Thanks to those damn student loans and credit cards.

And public transpo is not an option in our area.
Old May 20th 2004, 8:31 am
Concierge

That's a thought James, but there's one big problem with that. He would have to have a car to get there (it's about a 45 minute to 1 hr drive), and we only have my car, which I need to get to work. In order for him to get a car loan, he would need to have a paying position because I have too much outstanding credit to get a car loan on my salary alone. Thanks to those damn student loans and credit cards.

And public transpo is not an option in our area.

So what you are saying is that even if you were able to walk into your district office tomorrow with your AOS paperwork and your husband were able to walk out with an EAD good for one year in his hands, he still would not be able to take the position because he has no way to get to it.

So then the issue of the non-existent one year EAD is not really an issue at all. You are caught in a catch-22 situation. No money or credit to buy a car, no job without a car, no car, no job, no money, no credit.

Hmmmm maybe the honeymoon in Hawaii should have been the honeymoon in the back seat of the new auto.

<smiling widely>

Rete
Old May 20th 2004, 8:31 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Jamie

Hey Jamie!!

I am so sorry!!

I was told that by the time the 90 day EAD expires you should receive the year one in the mail.. aww I hope I don't have to request an interim EAD.. that would royally suck!
Take care!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.