O/T: Canadians travelling to the US w/o a Passport

Wikiposts

O/T: Canadians travelling to the US w/o a Passport

Old Mar 6th 2003, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

eiloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default O/T: Canadians travelling to the US w/o a Passport

Hello,

Does anyone know for sure whether or not the US will allow Canadian Citizens to travel to the US without a passport? There is a lot of speculation that sometime this March, there will be a requirement of such documentation needed for inspection at the border.

Here is an article in the Toronto Star that doesn't say definitively that we HAVE to carry a passport, but it does recommend it. I have a K-1 Fiancee visa in it and do not want to execute it until June of this year (which is still within my 6 month period to leave Canada.)

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks!
Old Mar 6th 2003, 10:11 am
Laura

Default Re: Canadians travelling to the US w/o a Passport

Hi
I'm a Canadian citizen, living in Canada, newly married to a US
citizen/resident. We've crossed every weekend for 2 years without having
one. Of course, guess its the ultimate form of identity for them. I missed
the article, do you recall when it was in The Star
Laura

eiloo wrote in message ...
    >Hello,
    >Does anyone know for sure whether or not the US will allow Canadian
    >Citizens to travel to the US without a passport? There is a lot of
    >speculation that sometime this March, there will be a requirement of
    >such documentation needed for inspection at the border.

Old Mar 7th 2003, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Canadians travelling to the US w/o a Passport

Hey Laura,

I guess I forgot to put in the link... my apologies...

http://www.thestar.ca/NASApp/cs/Cont...path=News/News

I've previously crossed the border with my passport before getting my K-1 Visa... and most recently... I've used my birth cert and driver's licence. I guess I'm just looking forward and seeing whether or not there is NO question that I would have to use my passport. I did receive a response from another forum saying that the BCIS (INS) has the right to bar anyone besides US Citizens to the country... so anything can and (I'm sure) will happen.

Ian

Originally posted by Laura
Hi
I'm a Canadian citizen, living in Canada, newly married to a US
citizen/resident. We've crossed every weekend for 2 years without having
one. Of course, guess its the ultimate form of identity for them. I missed
the article, do you recall when it was in The Star
Laura

eiloo wrote in message ...
    >Hello,
    >Does anyone know for sure whether or not the US will allow Canadian
    >Citizens to travel to the US without a passport? There is a lot of
    >speculation that sometime this March, there will be a requirement of
    >such documentation needed for inspection at the border.
Old Mar 7th 2003, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

cdnclv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: O/T: Canadians travelling to the US w/o a Passport

No, you do not need a passport if you are Canadian. I have always used my birth certificate and driver's licence with no problem at various border crossings in BC and Ontario. My mother and father have crossed with naturalization papers and a driver's licence. Before submitting our petition, I travelled to the US at least once a month. However, since beginning this process, I have not crossed the border. I would be more concerned with providing proof of your intention to return to Canada if you are not activating your visa at this time. Good luck.

Originally posted by eiloo
Hello,

Does anyone know for sure whether or not the US will allow Canadian Citizens to travel to the US without a passport? There is a lot of speculation that sometime this March, there will be a requirement of such documentation needed for inspection at the border.

Here is an article in the Toronto Star that doesn't say definitively that we HAVE to carry a passport, but it does recommend it. I have a K-1 Fiancee visa in it and do not want to execute it until June of this year (which is still within my 6 month period to leave Canada.)

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks!
Old Mar 7th 2003, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: O/T: Canadians travelling to the US w/o a Passport

Originally posted by cdnclv
No, you do not need a passport if you are Canadian. I have always used my birth certificate and driver's licence with no problem at various border crossings in BC and Ontario. My mother and father have crossed with naturalization papers and a driver's licence. Before submitting our petition, I travelled to the US at least once a month. However, since beginning this process, I have not crossed the border. I would be more concerned with providing proof of your intention to return to Canada if you are not activating your visa at this time. Good luck.
Hi there,

Well I know that "currently" we don't require passports to cross, but there is talk that we may in the NEAR future. That was my concern.

As for crossing and proving intent on returning... I take along my mortgage papers, insurance for the home (that was just purchased last month), letter from my employer stating when I will be returning to work and sattelite bill. They have not asked me for that info the last time I crossed. I only used my licence and birth cert... but if they REQUIRE us to use our passport... then they'll see the K1...

Ian
Old Mar 7th 2003, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

cdnclv is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, they'll see your K-1, but it sounds like you'll have lots of proof that you intend to return to Canada. So don't sweat it. I don't think anyone can give you a "yes" or "no" answer here. Ultimately, your entry is up to the discretion of the border guard at the POE. I have been told that by both the INS national office and by the Vancouver consulate. Good luck.