Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

NYC - Garden City Interview Experience

Wikiposts

NYC - Garden City Interview Experience

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

saheem has a brilliant futuresaheem has a brilliant futuresaheem has a brilliant futuresaheem has a brilliant futuresaheem has a brilliant futuresaheem has a brilliant futuresaheem has a brilliant future
Default NYC - Garden City Interview Experience

Almost 12 months from filing, my wife (USC) and I had our interview today in Garden City. I've been in the US for almost seven years under F-1 visa (still valid) and married my girlfriend of four years. She's an aspiring actress, way below the poverty line, and I'm currently in grad school, so we had a joint sponsor.

The interview was a breeze. The DAO had a "going through the motions" attitude, pleasant and efficient. I had to suppress a smile when I noticed she pulled my I-94 card out of my passport before the interview had even really started!

So the sequence of events: we took the oath, she asked for: my passport (pulled out said I-94) and her photo ID, for documents showing life together (I had bank statements, credit cards, power bills). She asked if I was still a student (yes), how long we dated before marriage, where we met, if she'd met my family, where we got married, did our family attend, and were we working. She asked if I had another medical done. I said no since it was exactly a year since my last one. I offered my updated affidavits of support (for wife and joint sponsor) and tax returns for 2004 (unavailable at time of filing). She asked for an updated letter of employent for our joint sponsor, and I said I didn't have one. She then asked for pictures. My wife had spent hours putting it together, showing a range from when we first met to the latest visit of my brother. She took color copies of all the pictures.

She finished by asking for my wife's passport or birth certificate, asked me the necessary absurd questions, then arranged the folder as she scribbled "approved" on all the forms and uttered the magic word to us. She asked when I had my fingerprints taken (March 2005) and said that she hadn't had time to complete my background check, but if I really hadn't been arrested like I said, I would receive the green card in the mail in about 4 weeks. She made some notationsin my passport that included my A# and her last name, saying that if we didn't receive the green card her name is in my passport (but joked that it wasn't enough to allow me back in the country).

I'm kicking myself now for not asking for the stamp, especially after reading the horror stories of how long it's taken some people, but I decided to be grateful for the pleasant experience and hope for the best. Being a poor grad student, I'm not about to travel anyway! The EAD would be the biggest pain in the butt, but again keeping those fingers crossed.

All the best to everyone! As long as you're prepared and legally uncomplicated, there's nothing to fret about. Thanks a million to the tons of posters. There no way we could have done it without you.

And yes, Rete, I will post my experience on Kamya :-)

Best,
Saheem
Old Jan 24th 2006, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYC - Garden City Interview Experience

Not to bum you out, but if your background check isnt back you're not fully approved. Asking for the stamp wouldnt have done ya a lot of good...
Old Jan 24th 2006, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

grouchy has a spectacular aura aboutgrouchy has a spectacular aura aboutgrouchy has a spectacular aura about

Congrats. Stamp or no, count yourself lucky. We filed in Aug 2003 and still no interview date despite Congressman efforts. Starting to get very depressed.

Originally Posted by saheem
Almost 12 months from filing, my wife (USC) and I had our interview today in Garden City. I've been in the US for almost seven years under F-1 visa (still valid) and married my girlfriend of four years. She's an aspiring actress, way below the poverty line, and I'm currently in grad school, so we had a joint sponsor.

The interview was a breeze. The DAO had a "going through the motions" attitude, pleasant and efficient. I had to suppress a smile when I noticed she pulled my I-94 card out of my passport before the interview had even really started!

So the sequence of events: we took the oath, she asked for: my passport (pulled out said I-94) and her photo ID, for documents showing life together (I had bank statements, credit cards, power bills). She asked if I was still a student (yes), how long we dated before marriage, where we met, if she'd met my family, where we got married, did our family attend, and were we working. She asked if I had another medical done. I said no since it was exactly a year since my last one. I offered my updated affidavits of support (for wife and joint sponsor) and tax returns for 2004 (unavailable at time of filing). She asked for an updated letter of employent for our joint sponsor, and I said I didn't have one. She then asked for pictures. My wife had spent hours putting it together, showing a range from when we first met to the latest visit of my brother. She took color copies of all the pictures.

She finished by asking for my wife's passport or birth certificate, asked me the necessary absurd questions, then arranged the folder as she scribbled "approved" on all the forms and uttered the magic word to us. She asked when I had my fingerprints taken (March 2005) and said that she hadn't had time to complete my background check, but if I really hadn't been arrested like I said, I would receive the green card in the mail in about 4 weeks. She made some notationsin my passport that included my A# and her last name, saying that if we didn't receive the green card her name is in my passport (but joked that it wasn't enough to allow me back in the country).

I'm kicking myself now for not asking for the stamp, especially after reading the horror stories of how long it's taken some people, but I decided to be grateful for the pleasant experience and hope for the best. Being a poor grad student, I'm not about to travel anyway! The EAD would be the biggest pain in the butt, but again keeping those fingers crossed.

All the best to everyone! As long as you're prepared and legally uncomplicated, there's nothing to fret about. Thanks a million to the tons of posters. There no way we could have done it without you.

And yes, Rete, I will post my experience on Kamya :-)

Best,
Saheem
Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:27 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrea874
Not to bum you out, but if your background check isnt back you're not fully approved. Asking for the stamp wouldnt have done ya a lot of good...
I thought the same thing, Andrea.

To the OP...even though she wrote "approved" on your paperwork, it might mean "approved pending completion of background checks".

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 24th 2006, 5:01 am
Virtus2021

Speaking of Garden City, anyone have any ideas on how to get an
appointment for a Motion to Reopen moved to an earlier date? We have an
appointment for June. We were given a Request for Evidence during our
initial interview. we hand delivered it to garden city. Somehow it
didnt get to the DAO. In the meantime our case was transferred to
another DAO who then summarily denied the application. so of course
there was no one there willing to speak to us so we can figure out a