Wikiposts

NVC processing time?

Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

vivsavage955 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NVC processing time?

Hi everyone,

During my conversation with the NVC operator today, she said that it would take "two to four weeks" for the NVC to complete their security checks and forward our case to the Vancouver consulate. This was a suprise to me, given that most people's reported timelines have reflected a much quicker turnaround time at the NVC.

In your experience, are these NVC estimated times deliberately conservative, or has something changed in the processing there over the past few months?

Many thanks to all of you for your insight.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

tmushen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NVC processing time?

Originally posted by vivsavage955
Hi everyone,

During my conversation with the NVC operator today, she said that it would take "two to four weeks" for the NVC to complete their security checks and forward our case to the Vancouver consulate. This was a suprise to me, given that most people's reported timelines have reflected a much quicker turnaround time at the NVC.

In your experience, are these NVC estimated times deliberately conservative, or has something changed in the processing there over the past few months?

I would say they are normally quicker than 2 to 4 weeks. I was told the same thing and my wife's case was forwarded in only 2 days to the US Embassy in Turkey.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:38 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tmushen
I would say they are normally quicker than 2 to 4 weeks. I was told the same thing and my wife's case was forwarded in only 2 days to the US Embassy in Turkey.
What I wonder about is all the fascination and fixation about the NVC in the first place. A petitioner is not required to send them anything or tell them anything, the NVC is the way the cases have always been routed to the Consulates (at least, this is the way its been done since I've been in practice) and the only difference now is the addition of boilerplate language on the approval notices mentioning the involvement of the NVC. No point it trying to micro manage the NVC (IMHO).
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Matthew Udall
What I wonder about is all the fascination and fixation about the NVC in the first place. A petitioner is not required to send them anything or tell them anything, the NVC is the way the cases have always been routed to the Consulates (at least, this is the way its been done since I've been in practice) and the only difference now is the addition of boilerplate language on the approval notices mentioning the involvement of the NVC. No point it trying to micro manage the NVC (IMHO).
I'm not sure that I'm "fascinated" or "fixated" with it at all. I'm just trying to figure out when our information might be arriving at the consulate, so that we can have some idea of timelines for interviews and the like. Since this is the next step, the only way to have any insight on when the case might be arriving at the consulate is to call the NVC and inquire about their own processing.

Having sat through 200 days (!) of processing time at the CSC, we're a bit anxious to see things move along now. Perhaps it is because the transition from being able to track (approximately) the progress on your case when it is at the service center to having zero insight whatsoever after it is approved is a difficult one for those of us who fret about our petition's progress on a daily basis, if not more frequently.

Simply wondering and inquiring about how long the file will sit in New Hampshire before it is sent to the consulate is far from "micro-managing," from my perspective.

BTW, thanks tmushen...that's what I was hoping to hear!
Old Feb 18th 2004, 12:31 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Hey!!

When I called NVC they told me it was gonna take 2-4 weeks to forward my case to the consulate, It only took 4 days!!!
Hope that helps!
Take care and Good luck!
Old Feb 18th 2004, 12:52 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure that I'm "fascinated" or "fixated" with it at all. I'm just trying to figure out when our information might be arriving at the consulate, so that we can have some idea of timelines for interviews and the like.
There are many factors that will influence the speed of the Consular part of the process other than when the NVC sends them the case, so if you trying to figure out timelines for your interview, I don't think knowing what the NVC is doing will influence that.

And now that they put boilerplate language on the approval notices about the NVC, there is no doubt that people are now spending time focusing on the NVC (just like you are doing) when there is no reason for that.

Perhaps it is because the transition from being able to track (approximately) the progress on your case when it is at the service center to having zero insight whatsoever after it is approved is a difficult one for those of us who fret about our petition's progress on a daily basis, if not more frequently.
I certainly understand wanting a case to move as quickly as possible, however knowing what the NVC is doing is not going do change the speed in which the NVC does what it does or the speed in which the Consulate does what it does. Funny how all those petitions got through the NVC and to the Consulates, and those cases approved "before" they started putting the NVC boilerplate language on approval notices. Checking with the NVC was not necessary then, and it's not necessary now.

Simply wondering and inquiring about how long the file will sit in New Hampshire before it is sent to the consulate is far from "micro-managing," from my perspective.
But it certainly does not speed up your case, and there is "nothing" you need to send to the NVC or tell the NVC for it to do its job. From experience I can tell you that it can take a pretty wide range of time for the case to make it from the NVC to the Consulate. Sometimes pretty fast, sometimes it takes a couple of months (but again, knowing what the NVC is doing does not influence that).

If you get lucky, your case gets put in the bin for your Consulate on the top of a full bin that will be shipped off very quickly. If not lucky, it gets put in an almost empty bin that has to fill up a bit before it is shipped out to the Consulate.

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Feb 18th 2004 at 1:15 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Viv,

Two to Four Weeks is standard verbage. It could take shorter, it could take longer. It's like the number of days processing time on the NOA1. Absolutely worthless. Because my fiance is Iranian, mine spent 3 months at the NVC stage.

Hi Matt,

Although it does not change the process or speed it up, I for one was grateful that I could call NVC and know when my file finally did leave there and get on the way to Ankara. It helped that I could request info from the FBI and know that the security check was completed. I found it comforting. If I had not been able to be in touch with NVC and at least hear the usual "it's still processing", I would have been waiting 4 months (including the month it took to get to Ankara and have Ankara get the P3 to my attorney - because I never received the letter NVC supposedly sends out). I would have gone nuts thinking something was lost, gone wrong, forgotten, etc. At least I knew each week that it was still in progress. Seeing other posters here going through NVC in a week would have had me panicked that MY case was going all wrong after 4 months! I was grateful to know about the NVC stage, and grateful to the nice people there who patiently (and pleasantly!) took my calls each week

Best Wishes!
Rene
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Noorah101
Hi Viv,

Two to Four Weeks is standard verbage. It could take shorter, it could take longer. It's like the number of days processing time on the NOA1. Absolutely worthless. Because my fiance is Iranian, mine spent 3 months at the NVC stage.

Rene
Thanks. That was exactly what I was wondering...whether the "2 to 4" comment was their standard response, and it seems as though it is. I really appreciate your response.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

I was told the same thing - about 2-4 weeks. We were out of there in about 2 days as well. And believe I did start to panic a bit, when she told me that. But just have some patience, and call them back in about a week. You should (hopefully) get some good news.

Good luck!