Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Now that the 130 is approved-objective opinions sought please

Wikiposts

Now that the 130 is approved-objective opinions sought please

Old May 16th 2004, 11:48 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Now that the 130 is approved-objective opinions sought please

Okay, so as an anticlimax this weekend, I stumbled across the fact that we have been approved for the 130. Trying to figure out which is better, to pursue that (going back to the UK for the interview) OR to go thru AOS etc here?
Aside from the travel costs going back to the UK (high in the summer season, ), what are the advantages of doing that? As I see it doing everything here means we have the cost of applying for AOS, certain renewal cost for the EAD (possibly twice) and certain renewal cost for K3. All this since Atlanta, our local office, is working on May of 2001, therefore it's going to be awhile before they get to us. So.........for anyone who has been there, done that, or is doing that opinons please. Also an approximate estimate of time IF we go thru with the 130 interview back in the UK?
Old May 17th 2004, 1:24 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now that the 130 is approved-objective opinions sought please

Originally posted by cindyabs
Okay, so as an anticlimax this weekend, I stumbled across the fact that we have been approved for the 130. Trying to figure out which is better, to pursue that (going back to the UK for the interview) OR to go thru AOS etc here?
Aside from the travel costs going back to the UK (high in the summer season, ), what are the advantages of doing that? As I see it doing everything here means we have the cost of applying for AOS, certain renewal cost for the EAD (possibly twice) and certain renewal cost for K3. All this since Atlanta, our local office, is working on May of 2001, therefore it's going to be awhile before they get to us. So.........for anyone who has been there, done that, or is doing that opinons please. Also an approximate estimate of time IF we go thru with the 130 interview back in the UK?

Why does it have to be summer travel? With the friendly and courteous attitude of the US Consulate in London, I am quite sure you would be able to work with them for an interview date in September or October, rather than in the high summer months. This would give you the time needed to purchase a lower end ticket for your husband to go back to the UK to finish out the process. Look who I'm telling about low end tickets ;-)

You are on the money when you equate the costs involved.

US
Medical
I-485
2 yr wait for more wait for AOS
Possible EAD renewal
Possible A/P costs
I-864 Free
Natualization Eligibility Delayed until residency obtained
Fee for Fingerprinting

UK
Medical
Consulate Immigration Fee
Fee for I-864 Processing
Residency Wait - Almost Instanteous
Travel - Freedom to Travel with limited restrictions based on time out of country
Naturalization Eligibility starts on entry at POE
No Fee for Fingerprinting
Cost of Travel (but gets to see family and friends)

That's my list.

Rete
Old May 17th 2004, 1:27 am
Queen of the Obvious

KimJ is an unknown quantity at this point

There are ways you can 'delay' processing, such as taking your time returning forms, etc.

Take a look at my timeline - perhaps that will help. There's a lot of back and forth through the mail, which can take some time.

And congrats!

Kim
Old May 17th 2004, 3:50 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cindy

First of all congratulations on approval!! I know what I would and will do when our I-130 is approved and that is go back to the UK for consular processing. Even if I couldn't get a delay until the fall, I would still go. The main reason is that I would be entering the US as a permanent resident... the moment you go through immigration at the US POE. No waiting more years for AOS. Also by doing it this way I would be closer to citizenship than if I did the AOS route. Once a PR, the clock starts counting for me to obtain citizenship and that means I will be closer to getting my daughter here eventually. Good luck trying to figure it out. Best wishes

Maggie

Old May 17th 2004, 5:34 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the approval!

It's hard to believe you're asking...I thought you 2 were decided that Consular Processing was best for you... then again, I know about those pesky summer fares. Seems reasonable that your case could take you into shoulder season for an interview; I'd think long and hard about pursuing CP & think that Rete gave a great breakdown of the costs (financial and other).

Best wishes and O Happy Day
Old May 17th 2004, 5:35 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rete
Why does it have to be summer travel? With the friendly and courteous attitude of the US Consulate in London, I am quite sure you would be able to work with them for an interview date in September or October, rather than in the high summer months. This would give you the time needed to purchase a lower end ticket for your husband to go back to the UK to finish out the process. Look who I'm telling about low end tickets ;-)

You are on the money when you equate the costs involved.

US
Medical
I-485
2 yr wait for more wait for AOS
Possible EAD renewal
Possible A/P costs
I-864 Free
Natualization Eligibility Delayed until residency obtained
Fee for Fingerprinting

UK
Medical
Consulate Immigration Fee
Fee for I-864 Processing
Residency Wait - Almost Instanteous
Travel - Freedom to Travel with limited restrictions based on time out of country
Naturalization Eligibility starts on entry at POE
No Fee for Fingerprinting
Cost of Travel (but gets to see family and friends)

That's my list.

Rete

Thanks guys-Rete for doing a pro and con list and Kim for the timeline and Maggie for reminding me of the PR thingie. Now the next step is to find out what the Consulate charges for their fee.
Old May 17th 2004, 5:58 am
Queen of the Obvious

KimJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys-Rete for doing a pro and con list and Kim for the timeline and Maggie for reminding me of the PR thingie. Now the next step is to find out what the Consulate charges for their fee.

We paid $65 for the Affidavit of Support and $335 for the Immigrant Visa application - I don't know if the recent fee increases apply to these forms, though. I don't believe we will be paying anything to the consulate (or, at least I *hope* we won't be paying anything else!)

I'm sorry I don't recall what the medical cost - but I think that varies by doctor, and if your husband took the medical for his K3 within the past year, I think you can still use that one. Not 100% sure on this.

Last edited by KimJ; May 18th 2004 at 2:26 am.
Old May 18th 2004, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

kkate2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry Cindy, i thought you have to apply at menphis and not at Atlanta. Look Menphis used to show that theye were delaing with petitons that were filed back in Novemeber 2001. They only changed that 5 days ago. Before persuing any decision concernign whether they are dealign with petitons that are filed back in MAy 2001 which still shows that date, i wouldw ait and see for next month if the dates are changed or ask a person who filed At atlanta the process time. I doi not think they are updating all the dates in the local offices. Make sure before doing anything.
If you are sure they are dealings with petitions that were filed back in 2001 , then i would do the CDF if i were you rather than having to wait. This way you would have the chance to go and visit family and friends in England. I was intending to go for the DCF but since i am pregnant and the doctor advised me he needs to see me on regular basis i might not persue that.

By the way, have you received the hard receipt of the approval? I have not yet till now.
Old May 18th 2004, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

Megan is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats on getting approved!!
We have been back and forth on which way we should go. We have finally decided that going over there is the quickest way to go - at this point we are so tired of dealing with it that we don't care if it costs extra if it means we can finish with it...
The Atlanta processing times really haven't budged in a long time. They may just not being keeping up with it, but the thought of another 2 year wait makes my head hurt.
As far as summer travel...We have been sending forms and fees back the day after we get them, and it has been 3 months now since we were approved - we still don't have an interview date. If things go at that rate for you, you might not have an interview until the fall anyway...

Megan
Old May 20th 2004, 11:35 pm
Sursum corda

Default Same day?

Just a thought-does anyone know if they are doing same days for the 130 at London? If we were, and it looks likely we will, go back to the UK for that rather than the AOS route here, we would hopefully just be in the UK for a week or less.
Old May 21st 2004, 4:20 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Same day?

Just a thought-does anyone know if they are doing same days for the 130 at London? If we were, and it looks likely we will, go back to the UK for that rather than the AOS route here, we would hopefully just be in the UK for a week or less.

I thought they recently changed to sending the approval by overnight dispatch.
Old May 21st 2004, 5:58 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

cindy,

I am curious as to why you refer to [I-]130 interviews and processing in the UK. Your I-130 petition was submitted to a SC in the US, correct? It has now been approved by the SC and some associated things will be done with it at the NVC in the US if your husband decides to apply for an immigrant visa in the UK rather than adjust status in the US. Either way, nothing gets done with the I-130 in the UK.

If your husband decides to go the immigrant visa route, he will submit a DS-230 immigrant visa application to the consulate in London. The consulate will process the DS-230 application and give him an immigrant visa.

I don't know, but would expect, that the process would be similar to what he went through for his K3 visa. Perhaps the consulate's web site provides information on the family-based immigrant visa processing.

Regards, JEff

... Also an approximate estimate of time IF we go thru with the 130 interview back in the UK?

Old May 21st 2004, 6:35 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Just saw your post Cindy. Our heartfelt congratulations!! Good luck with the rest of it as well. Very pleased for you two...
Best regards,
Ken & Ranjini
Old May 21st 2004, 7:01 am
Sursum corda

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
cindy,

I am curious as to why you refer to [I-]130 interviews and processing in the UK. Your I-130 petition was submitted to a SC in the US, correct? It has now been approved by the SC and some associated things will be done with it at the NVC in the US if your husband decides to apply for an immigrant visa in the UK rather than adjust status in the US. Either way, nothing gets done with the I-130 in the UK.

If your husband decides to go the immigrant visa route, he will submit a DS-230 immigrant visa application to the consulate in London. The consulate will process the DS-230 application and give him an immigrant visa.

I don't know, but would expect, that the process would be similar to what he went through for his K3 visa. Perhaps the consulate's web site provides information on the family-based immigrant visa processing.

Regards, JEff

Jeff,
I realize that this is a matter of semantics, and I realize that the explaination offered by you was to avoid any confusion on the part of other folks here on the NG who are newbies. There are two important things here, one is that I knew what I meant and was using shorthand lingo to get opinions and answers to my question and two, that the folks who answered me were able to follow the shorthand, discern my reference and point me in the right direction. Of the two paths I have to choose from, the AOS is the one less traveled. The 130 process is something that I had studied for the last 3 years, the AOS process, well that is much less familiar territory!
I had checked the consulate's website already and nothing there that clarifies the actual handoff procedure. Hopefully someone knows about that. If not, I can always email London, I'm fortunate in that I know.
Old May 21st 2004, 7:07 am
Sursum corda

Originally posted by kkate2000
Sorry Cindy, i thought you have to apply at menphis and not at Atlanta. Look Menphis used to show that theye were delaing with petitons that were filed back in Novemeber 2001. They only changed that 5 days ago. Before persuing any decision concernign whether they are dealign with petitons that are filed back in MAy 2001 which still shows that date, i wouldw ait and see for next month if the dates are changed or ask a person who filed At atlanta the process time. I doi not think they are updating all the dates in the local offices. Make sure before doing anything.
If you are sure they are dealings with petitions that were filed back in 2001 , then i would do the CDF if i were you rather than having to wait. This way you would have the chance to go and visit family and friends in England. I was intending to go for the DCF but since i am pregnant and the doctor advised me he needs to see me on regular basis i might not persue that.

By the way, have you received the hard receipt of the approval? I have not yet till now.
Received hard copy today as a matter of fact, .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.