Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Notify USCIS of a petitioner's name change

Wikiposts

Notify USCIS of a petitioner's name change

Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:00 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Notify USCIS of a petitioner's name change

Soooo... OH's court date came up today for him to legally change his last name to mine. Hurrah! We are officially the Gingerert family!

Anyway, does anyone know how we go about changing his name with USCIS? He was the petitioner for me on the I-130, and I came over as a PR in Feb 2008. Is this complicated or can we just download a form and go?

Any help most welcome.

Ta!
Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:02 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Notify USCIS of a petitioner's name change

Originally Posted by gingerert
Soooo... OH's court date came up today for him to legally change his last name to mine. Hurrah! We are officially the Gingerert family!

Anyway, does anyone know how we go about changing his name with USCIS? He was the petitioner for me on the I-130, and I came over as a PR in Feb 2008. Is this complicated or can we just download a form and go?

Any help most welcome.

Ta!
If you have a 2-year green card, you won't have anything to do with USCIS again until you have to remove conditions.

At that time, he cause use his new legal name on the I-751, and include his court proof of name change.

Other than that, no need to do anything.

If you have a 10-year card, I don't think he needs to do anything until your citizenship application, if you go for that, and then just use his new name on the N-400 and include the proof of name change at that time.

Rene
Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:07 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you have a 2-year green card, you won't have anything to do with USCIS again until you have to remove conditions.

At that time, he cause use his new legal name on the I-751, and include his court proof of name change.

Other than that, no need to do anything.

If you have a 10-year card, I don't think he needs to do anything until your citizenship application, if you go for that, and then just use his new name on the N-400 and include the proof of name change at that time.

Rene
Great! I have a two year green card so we'll just have to keep the paperwork safe until we file for the removal of conditions. That's phenomenally easy.

Thanks for the prompt response, Rene.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No problem!
Old Nov 20th 2008, 4:58 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, congratulations Gingerert family!!! How cool.
Maybe you should write up all what you found out about it, in one place. Maybe you'll start a new trend and can help make the trip easier for the next guy?
Old Nov 20th 2008, 6:35 am
Ginger Monkey

Originally Posted by meauxna
Hey, congratulations Gingerert family!!! How cool.
Maybe you should write up all what you found out about it, in one place. Maybe you'll start a new trend and can help make the trip easier for the next guy?
Well now, what a fabulous idea! I shall begin scrawling forthwith...
Old Nov 21st 2008, 7:31 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gingerert

Any help most welcome.

Ta!
Hi:

Personally, I would not worry about it. When it comes time to remove the condition by a joint I-751, you can notify them then.