Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Notarized consent for child

Wikiposts

Notarized consent for child

Old Dec 11th 2011, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

cherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nice
Default Notarized consent for child

I130's being processed at mo for myself and my 14 yr old daughter who has chosen to accompany me to live with myself and new husband in the states.
My ex, her dad is happy for her to live there and visit UK periodically (we maintain a good relationship) and we are aware he has to provide notarised consent for my daughter to come with me.
Could anyone tell me at what stage of the process this consent will be required by the US embassy. Is it at the final stage when I have to attend the interview (ps, would my daughter also be required to attend??) or prior to that?

Thanks for any info
Old Dec 11th 2011, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Notarized consent for child

Originally Posted by cherh66
I130's being processed at mo for myself and my 14 yr old daughter who has chosen to accompany me to live with myself and new husband in the states.
My ex, her dad is happy for her to live there and visit UK periodically (we maintain a good relationship) and we are aware he has to provide notarised consent for my daughter to come with me.
Could anyone tell me at what stage of the process this consent will be required by the US embassy. Is it at the final stage when I have to attend the interview (ps, would my daughter also be required to attend??) or prior to that?

Thanks for any info
You take it to the interview. It might be appropriate to send a photocopy to the NVC with the other documents, but also have it for the interview.

London says in the FAQs:

Does my child need to attend the immigrant visa interview?

All applicants registered for immigration as the spouse, parent, child under the age of 21 of a U.S. citizen are required to attend the Embassy in person for a formal visa interview with a U.S. consular officer. Persons under the age of fourteen who are deriving status from an immigrant, fiancé(e) or Kii petition filed on behalf of a parent or are applying for a derivative V visa and are applying for the visa at the same time as the parent need not attend the interview.

Last edited by Moxie; Dec 11th 2011 at 1:03 am.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 3:30 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cherh66
... we are aware he has to provide notarised consent for my daughter to come with me.
The "magic language" is a legal substitute for notarization.

Could anyone tell me at what stage of the process this consent will be required by the US embassy.
At your interview.

... would my daughter also be required to attend?
Yes.

Ian
Old Dec 11th 2011, 4:30 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Ian:

An idle thought -- the "magic language" is a substitute for an "affidavit." I'm not all that sure that the notarial act for the consent is in the form of administering an oath.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 5:12 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it is. The 'magic language' is an assertion, under penalty of law, that the information being provided is true, and confirming the truth of the information contained in a document not what a notary public does.

A Notary Public confirms that the person who signs the document is who they say they are, the content of the document could be entirely false. Conversely, the content of the document could be true, as the 'magic language' attests, but if the person who signed the document is not the person whose name is being signed of what value is the 'magic language'?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The "magic language" is a legal substitute for notarization.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 1:58 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The two most common notarial acts are a "jurat" and an "acknowledgment."

The "jurat" is where the signatory swears the contents are true.

The "acknowledgement" is confirmation that the signator is who she says she is.