Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Not Visa related.... How did you meet your partner?

Not Visa related.... How did you meet your partner?

Old Feb 9th 2012, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not Visa related.... How did you meet your partner?

Yahoo Messenger was how we first talked. It was a mistake (in a good way) she meant to add a buddy and mistyped the email of said buddy. I got friend request. Out of curiosity i accepted and voila it goes from there.

started off as friendship, and after about 8 years it kind of blossomed into something more and we officially started dating. Long distance, but frequent travels to and thro. We started travelling as often as we could to see each other but after a whiles it was proving to much. On my last visit as a BF my now wife told me that she could not stand it being apart anymore so we had a choice. End it or take it to the next level. Was not prepared to end it, so we got married. Very rushed decision so non of my family were aware until it was to late and they were not able to join.

Got married, booked her a flight, changed my return to be the same as hers and took her home to meet the family. Now we are back in the States, have a 2 year old little girl and another on the way.

So thanks Yahoo we owe you one.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DavidLemon
Yahoo Messenger was how we first talked. It was a mistake (in a good way) she meant to add a buddy and mistyped the email of said buddy. I got friend request. Out of curiosity i accepted and voila it goes from there.

started off as friendship, and after about 8 years it kind of blossomed into something more and we officially started dating. Long distance, but frequent travels to and thro. We started travelling as often as we could to see each other but after a whiles it was proving to much. On my last visit as a BF my now wife told me that she could not stand it being apart anymore so we had a choice. End it or take it to the next level. Was not prepared to end it, so we got married. Very rushed decision so non of my family were aware until it was to late and they were not able to join.

Got married, booked her a flight, changed my return to be the same as hers and took her home to meet the family. Now we are back in the States, have a 2 year old little girl and another on the way.

So thanks Yahoo we owe you one.
wow that's some story!! amazing!!
Old Feb 12th 2012, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

mandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to all

My husband and I met on Second Life in 2007. We chatted as friends for a long time before realizing there was something more there. I went to the UK for the first time in September of 2008 to meet face to face, we were engaged in April of 2009. He immigrated in November of 2010 and we were married in January 2010 and still loving everyday together!

It's been amazing 5 years and we still have as much fun as ever together!!
Old Feb 12th 2012, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gad33
It is said that the computer age is making us more isolated/unsociable. But reading these threads it seems to have provided the means for people to meet the love of their lives through non-dating websites.
I totally agree. The internet is turning out to be a great social tool. Instead of the negative vision the media portrayed, I think we have a new age where like-minded people can find each other easily regardless of distance.

It worked for me anyway
Old Feb 28th 2012, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Eventual wife had year abroad from Middlebury College in Vermont to Nottingham University, largely due to an inability to speak any foreign languages

It was my first year in uni and we met there in Nottingham in 1998.

Rather proud of being a freshman in college and pulling a third year yank (my wife loves it when I tell that part of the story like that)

Did the long distance thing then followed her to Texas in 2001 on the basis of a one year internship, where she was doing a doctorate.

Internship became a full time position in 2002 (H-1B visa).

Married in 2004. Got greencard soon after.

Long story (inc 2 kids) short, became a US Citizen last year.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Frazer123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Was doing a ski season in Lake tahoe and she was on holiday there, spent a whole night chatting at the bar (both of us were in other relationships). 4 years later we started chatting again on FB and she had got mega mega hot! spoke everyday for a year and then went on a road trip down the west coast of america and i realised there and then i couldnt live without her. now we are married and just waiting for my visa to be done so we can both move back over to seattle.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 10:26 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

On The Road To Mandalay

Sat next to each other on the bus from Rangoon to Mandalay, we shared a room together in Mandalay and palled up for some more travels to Maymyo and Lashio.
On our return to Mandalay we shared another hotel room that only had a single bed. Went to bed as traveling companions and woke up as a couple.

I have to say I was a complete travel snob back in those days, and as she had only traveling less than six months, she was considered a day tripper, but she was a goodun and I soon warmed to her. She often reminds me how cold and aloof I was on the bus journey up. but we got talking when we shared the hotel room in Mandalay, and found out our shared birthdays were the next day. Its funny looking back on those days how one would share a room with a total stranger and share a bed with a more or less stranger.

We had a few weeks in Burma, then a bit of time in Bangkok before she flew off to Belgium to reacquaint herself with some other guy she had met in Indonesia. Its kind of hard saying goodbye when she is off to some other bloke.

Anyway I won out in the long run over our Belgian friend.

(cut and paste from similar thread a while back)
Old Feb 29th 2012, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

AndyW149 is an unknown quantity at this point

I met my wife through her Brother. He and I worked together in PA at a summer camp in 2007. We kept in touch and I came over for his wedding in April 2010. At the wedding I met his sister who is now my wife

We were married in Missouri in August last year and we are living in St. Joseph, MO (her hometown).
Old Mar 1st 2012, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Zap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to all

Me and the wife started talking together over Neopets (kinda a web-based Pokemon gaming site) in 2004 and a friendship began - took us almost 10 months to realise it was more than that and we made the long-distance relationship thing "official" in 2005.

After that, I spent a few years flying out to the USA once or twice a year to do the "in person" thing to make doubly sure we'd made no mistakes.

We started saving (as neither of us were (or are!) particularly well off) and in 2009 we filed our I-129F. From there, every step of the way is documented on these forums!

Couldn't have done it without BE

Today, I'm happily married and living in the US. I'm just into the second year of my 2yr Green Card so will be applying for the 10yr card at the beginning of next year!
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 4:48 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

In reality, you (and your wife) will be petitioning to remove conditions on your Permanent Resident status.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Zap-Robo
I'm just into the second year of my 2yr Green Card so will be applying for the 10yr card at the beginning of next year!
Old Mar 5th 2012, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

i love this thread.. but i hate the story of how me and the TAS met.

We met on E-harmony. He'd been looking for a while and his subscription was ending having met lots of girls but no-one special. so for the last 2 weeks he switched his settings to Global.

Meanwhile in good old england. one of my friends had signed up for E-harmony and as complaining about the "matching' system. She thought it was a load of old bollocks and they were literally sending her random men. So she talked me and another friend into signing up. All 3 of us were sent totally different men. In my first batch was the TAS - it was his last week on e-harmony so we went through all the guided questions and he asked if he could e-mail me because his subscription was ending.

6 months later I was skyping him all night and we decided to meet. I had family stuff to sort out in milwaukee so I flew MAN - ATL with an over night layover in ATL so he could take me out for dinner. the next morning I flew ATL - MKE and he'd got a last minute seat and taken 4 personal days off work to come with me. We spent 3 days sorting out my mothers house in milwaukee and made plans for me to come back in a months time to visit him properly in ATL where he proposed

Lx
Old Mar 6th 2012, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

korikoritx is just really nicekorikoritx is just really nicekorikoritx is just really nicekorikoritx is just really nicekorikoritx is just really nicekorikoritx is just really nicekorikoritx is just really nicekorikoritx is just really nice

First post - but I've been coming to this site for information for months.

I'm a USC and I met my love 20 years ago when we were seventeen and he was living in the States for his father's job. He moved back to the UK after high school and we stayed together long distance for two more years. Then life got in the way and we lost each other for ages. We finally reconnected about two years ago, and we both knew right away that this was it. Soul mates. He's moving here in November.

We're about halfway through the K-1 process, petition approved.
A second chance with my first love.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 3:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by korikoritx
First post - but I've been coming to this site for information for months.

I'm a USC and I met my love 20 years ago when we were seventeen and he was living in the States for his father's job. He moved back to the UK after high school and we stayed together long distance for two more years. Then life got in the way and we lost each other for ages. We finally reconnected about two years ago, and we both knew right away that this was it. Soul mates. He's moving here in November.

We're about halfway through the K-1 process, petition approved.
A second chance with my first love.
Just wanted to say, I LOVE this story!! So romantic.

Rene
Old Mar 6th 2012, 5:43 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

I had just finished university (1993), and was working in Seattle via the BUNAC Work America program in Seattle. The job was shite (McDonald's, and I'm a vegetarian, nasty!) But I met some good friends, and friends of friends in Seattle, and my husband was one of them. We got married a couple of years later after doing the back and forth travel thing, and it's our 17th wedding anniversary today!
Naomi.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

HisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really nice

First post from a lurker . . .

I met my British husband 8 years ago at the wedding of my college roommate (also American) and his childhood friend (British). THAT couple had met while she was in the UK visiting a friend who was studying abroad and a group of friends went out to a club. Three years later, she had moved to the UK (to get her masters) - but they had their wedding in the States. That is where I, a single American girl, was conveniently seated between two single British boys. I began chatting with both, but really hit it off with one in particular and spent the rest of the evening and much of the next day/evening with him.

We began emailing regularly - although I thought it was more of a pen-pal type thing (there was attraction, but I figured the distance would make anything impossible). Then 6 months after we met, my mother was suddenly killed in a motorcycle accident and when the cute Brit heard through our mutual friends, he called me. While I was on the phone with him, I realized that for the first time in days, I was smiling - and crying - because I was so happy to hear his voice and the sweet things he was saying! After that, we spoke more often, emailed daily, and he booked a ticket to visit me.

On that first trip, we acknowledged our feelings for each other. Two months later, I flew over to visit him. A week after I returned to the States, he called me up and told me he couldn't wait until we saw each other next (at Christmas) and he had to know if I would marry him. Yes, he proposed over the phone - but the urgency and sweetness made up for it. I accepted, naturally. We spent the next year flying back and forth between the US and UK. Eventually, he came for a long 3 month visit over the holidays. Near the end of his visit, we decided we didn't want to wait another year for our planned wedding and were sick of the back-and-forth long distance thing, so we went to the courthouse and got married! . . . then quickly filed the paperwork to change his status and all that jazz before the 90 day window closed. Everything happened so quickly, but we don't regret it a bit!

Exactly one year after our courthouse wedding, we had a big family wedding with all of our friends. At THAT wedding, two of my American girlfriends hit it off with two of his British groomsmen. Both couples have since married! One couple lives a mile down the road from us and the other couple lived in the UK for four years and has recently moved back to the States and now lives across town from us. The original US/UK couple that started it all still lives in the UK, but they plan to move back to the States (same town as the rest of us) in 5 or 6 years.

We all joke that it is a bit incestuous that four American friends married four British friends . . . but it has all worked out so well! Having close friends that share your unique experiences and frustrations is really wonderful and priceless!

Last edited by HisBetterHalf; Mar 6th 2012 at 6:59 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.