Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Not Visa related.... How did you meet your partner?

Not Visa related.... How did you meet your partner?

Old Jan 22nd 2012, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not Visa related.... How did you meet your partner?

I met my American wife on a music related internet forum, both of us being musicians. We knew each other for almost 10 years online before getting close and actually meeting up.

Then we got her over to London and married in 2009.

Going through the UK visa process was bad enough. Now we're going through it all over again
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guitarmaan
I met my American wife on a music related internet forum, both of us being musicians. We knew each other for almost 10 years online before getting close and actually meeting up.

Then we got her over to London and married in 2009.

Going through the UK visa process was bad enough. Now we're going through it all over again
Yup, I know exactly how you feel
Old Jan 29th 2012, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

LBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really nice

I studied a year abroad at Uni in NY and met my other half in the dorms. Kept a long distance relationship going for a couple years while we finished Uni and sorted the K1 visa and married in 2010!
Old Jan 29th 2012, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Alex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really nice

I met my USc fiance in 2005, (un-beknown to me he was Sheryl Crow's guitarist) but I went to watch Crowded House/ Finn Brothers tour in Portsmouth (UK) to whom he was on loan to while Sheryl wrote another record. It was love at first sight no doubt about it, I was standing right in front of him. After the show I went off to find my car (feeling rather flattered at all the smiling but sad because I didnt think I'd see him again) and he came looking for me!!!! We exchanged emails and numbers and have been together ever since, we've been flying every month backwards and forwards to see each other for nearly 8 years now. BUT we got engaged last June and will be making America our home later this year, oddly enough he now plays for Noel Gallagher' (Oasis)s new band High Flying Birds so he has been in the UK alot last year and looks to be that way too this year, so the moment I immigrate he's touring in the UK..BIZARRE! Its the most amazing relationship and I have travelled the world a million times over with my best friend in life, I feel incredibly lucky that we still are crazy about each other!!!
Old Jan 30th 2012, 8:57 am
Just Joined

freethy is just really nicefreethy is just really nicefreethy is just really nicefreethy is just really nicefreethy is just really nicefreethy is just really nicefreethy is just really nicefreethy is just really nice

This is my first post here. This seems like a good place to start so here goes.

Just before Christmas 2010 I met this beautiful American girl online in a music group on FB. She was totally crushing on me from the get go. After a while I couldn't resist her anymore and we started talking. After a few days I totally fell in love with her but was scared to tell her. Then she just comes out and tells me she loves me. I told her I love her too and a month later there was me saying I wanted to marry her and she was telling me the same thing. We both don't have much money and for the longest time we planned and dreamed. We talked everyday on FB and on skype for a whole year. Then, finally, New Years Eve 2011 I land in Chicago and catch a bus to her town. Or City... Joliet is a city, right? lol Anyway, we meet face to face and fall in love all over again. I was there for a month. I got down on one knee and proposed to her and got her a ring and now we are officially engaged. I landed back in England yesterday. It will be a couple/few months until I can afford to go back over to be with her. I just found this board and registered an hour or so ago. So, nice to meet you all.

That is us in my avatar btw lol The love of my life.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by freethy
This is my first post here. This seems like a good place to start so here goes.

Just before Christmas 2010 I met this beautiful American girl online in a music group on FB. She was totally crushing on me from the get go. After a while I couldn't resist her anymore and we started talking. After a few days I totally fell in love with her but was scared to tell her. Then she just comes out and tells me she loves me. I told her I love her too and a month later there was me saying I wanted to marry her and she was telling me the same thing. We both don't have much money and for the longest time we planned and dreamed. We talked everyday on FB and on skype for a whole year. Then, finally, New Years Eve 2011 I land in Chicago and catch a bus to her town. Or City... Joliet is a city, right? lol Anyway, we meet face to face and fall in love all over again. I was there for a month. I got down on one knee and proposed to her and got her a ring and now we are officially engaged. I landed back in England yesterday. It will be a couple/few months until I can afford to go back over to be with her. I just found this board and registered an hour or so ago. So, nice to meet you all.

That is us in my avatar btw lol The love of my life.
Welcome to BE
Old Jan 30th 2012, 9:02 am
Just Joined

freethy is just really nicefreethy is just really nicefreethy is just really nicefreethy is just really nicefreethy is just really nicefreethy is just really nicefreethy is just really nicefreethy is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Not Visa related.... How did you meet your partner?

Originally Posted by Holliver
Welcome to BE
Thank you, Holliver. Glad to be here
Old Jan 30th 2012, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by freethy
Thank you, Holliver. Glad to be here
If you have any questions feel free to ask. Make sure you read the wiki before you post any questions as a lot of the answers can be found there. Everyone is really great on this website and very helpful. Good luck
Old Jan 30th 2012, 9:51 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

I asked for an American penpal in The Rat Report, the magazine of The Rat Fan Club. I had a reply from a guy in Boston 5 years younger than me who had one pet rat called Constance. We were penpals for a year with nothing romantic, just a possibility hanging in the air. Neither of us had had a serious relationship before. Our first phone call together was the day of Princess Diana's funeral.

In March 1998 he came to London and stayed with me for 18 days, and we fell for each other. I was heart-broken when he returned home with plans for me to visit Boston in October '98.

Turned out I couldn't wait that long, we got engaged over the phone in May, he got a UK Fiance visa and was back in the UK in July. We married Oct '98. I met his parents and sister for the first time the day before our wedding!

13 years later and still crazy about each other! (And still keeping pet rats!) Also still learning new things about each others' countries, esp him learning new British words and phrases, we've got so many funny ones!
Old Feb 4th 2012, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Snavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really nice

I met my UK fiancee on a year ago on a small video gaming website I moderate on. She was a totally new member, and we began exchanging private messages and talking in the site chat quite a bit We got to know each other and found we had a LOT in common. We became really good friends, chatted to each other daily, and really hit it off playing various games together. We were really into each other at this point, but it seemed like such an impossible relationship to make work because of the distance....
She had told me very early on that she had always had a love for the US and despite a few opportunities to visit, she never had done so. I offered to let her stay with me for awhile if she wanted to come out... she came out and stayed for the entire month of October 2011. She absolutely loved it here, and the connection we shared was completely unreal. Towards the end of her stay I proposed. We became committed to making this work and we agreed to start the K1 process in January. She came back again over Christmas and New Year's, and it was still just as amazing. We filled out the majority of the paperwork, had photos taken, and all of that other faff (my new favorite word ). I sent the packet out Jan. 23 2012, and got the NOA1 less than a week after.
We talk daily and are very much in love. We hope to get married in October (10/11/12 if we can swing it.. we're geeks like that!). It is a month that is obviously special to us both.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

craig_sp is just really nicecraig_sp is just really nicecraig_sp is just really nicecraig_sp is just really nicecraig_sp is just really nicecraig_sp is just really nicecraig_sp is just really nicecraig_sp is just really nice

What a story! Sounds exciting! All the best to you both!

Originally Posted by Alex3110
I met my USc fiance in 2005, (un-beknown to me he was Sheryl Crow's guitarist) but I went to watch Crowded House/ Finn Brothers tour in Portsmouth (UK) to whom he was on loan to while Sheryl wrote another record. It was love at first sight no doubt about it, I was standing right in front of him. After the show I went off to find my car (feeling rather flattered at all the smiling but sad because I didnt think I'd see him again) and he came looking for me!!!! We exchanged emails and numbers and have been together ever since, we've been flying every month backwards and forwards to see each other for nearly 8 years now. BUT we got engaged last June and will be making America our home later this year, oddly enough he now plays for Noel Gallagher' (Oasis)s new band High Flying Birds so he has been in the UK alot last year and looks to be that way too this year, so the moment I immigrate he's touring in the UK..BIZARRE! Its the most amazing relationship and I have travelled the world a million times over with my best friend in life, I feel incredibly lucky that we still are crazy about each other!!!
Old Feb 5th 2012, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Alex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really nice

Originally Posted by craig_sp
What a story! Sounds exciting! All the best to you both!
Hey Thank You Craig_sp

He's currently trying to fly into Heathrow from Australia but of course good Ole Blighty (under snow) has shut down half its flights due to come in!!! BAH!!!
Old Feb 5th 2012, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

It is said that the computer age is making us more isolated/unsociable. But reading these threads it seems to have provided the means for people to meet the love of their lives through non-dating websites.

I met my DH when he was working in the UK. He had got a job with a British company in London and I also worked in London and we met at a social event. He was on a work permit at the time and shortly after he got leave to remain we moved to the US.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jackietanner
I met my boyfriend in Vegas Nov. 2009. His friend and my friend were flirting and both of us were being good sports, we wound up talking all night and I left back home the next day thinking I'd never see him again. To my surprise he found me on facebook and asked me for my number and started calling me frequently. We started talking daily, under the guise that we were having some sort of long distance friendship. Then through our friendship and constant communication we began visiting eachother back and forth and a relationship developed.

It's kind of weird because we met that 1 night for just a few short hours and somehow it's developed and manifested itself into the most important thing in my life. Guess I was at the right place at the right time...
What a lovely story. Are you both living together now or still pursuing a long distance relationship? I'm curious to know how that works
Old Feb 8th 2012, 2:28 am
Just Joined

JackF is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually it happened at my brother's wedding. His bride is my (now) wife's cousin. Funny how life happens, isn't it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.