Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Not Visa related.... How did you meet your partner?

Not Visa related.... How did you meet your partner?

Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Texas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really nice
Default Re: Not Visa related.... How did you meet your partner?

Met my wife on internet chat.

Today is our 9th Wedding Anv.

2 kids later we are still going strong.

Scouser.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Coopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really nice

Met my wife on Myspace early 2007. She came to visit me in September of that year. Engaged within 2 weeks. Married in 2008.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:43 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I was an expat, working in my wife's native country for a couple of years.

Regards, JEff
Old Jan 17th 2012, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

I was/still am working in Japan teaching English (visa pending- interview Feb 21st, woo woo). He came here to work/explore his roots.

We met through a student of mine - colleague of his, who invited him out with us so he could meet some other foreigners. He fancied me, I wasn't bothered but thought he'd make a nice friend. We went out, gradually fell in love. He moved back to the US. We decided we wanted to be together for the rest of our lives and here I am posting in the US fiance visa forum.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Colette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really nice

I was a nanny in Chicago and I met my (USC) hubby in a bar. After about 2 hours of talking he said he wanted to marry me! He was fairly tipsy so obviously I thought he was a loony, but we dated for the remained of my stay and when I returned to the UK he came to visit and proposed for real. We have been happily married for 13 years and now have 3 children.
Colette
Old Jan 17th 2012, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

paul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nicepaul2012 is just really nice

I was the captain of my university's mixed [sport] team, and she was in the UK for a year abroad and playing on the team. Since our first date there's probably only been about 5-10 days (while I was working in the Indonesian jungle or hiking) we haven't spoken/Skyped/been together, and that was 3 years ago.

I'm a week away from returning to the US permanently - can barely believe my luck!
Old Jan 17th 2012, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Went on a dating website (jdate) on the insistence of friends..3 weeks into it after looking at people from all over the world just being nosy I got an email from my now DH saying hello and thanking me for looking at his profile!!!

A week later we had a 2 hour phone conversation - 6 months later met for a first date in NYC - half way between us both (he was on the West Coast) and the rest is history.

We both travelled back and forth across the pond for 3 years and in March 2011 I moved to USA and we got married.

A chance meeting on line changed everything
Old Jan 17th 2012, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

i met my wife on a silly facebook app in Oct 2008, we were both just having a laugh and werent looking for anything, we started sending messages back and forth within the app, then emailing and IM'ing back and forth for a couple of months, we started speaking on the phone 1st January 2009 and we were on the phone every single day(except when we were physically together, i came over here to meet her for 3weeks, then went home for a month and came back for 8weeks and she came over to Scotland for a couple weeks) till i moved over here on a K1 January 24th 2010 and we were married 4 days later
coming up on our 2nd wedding anniversary and we now have 1 beautiful daughter that is 8weeks old and all is great
Old Jan 17th 2012, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

MellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really nice

Came to The uk as a backpacker in 1998, saw a gorgeous guy in a pub and just went up and started talking to him.
One of the first things he said was 'you're American?'
Me, thinking I'm in there 'yeah!'
To which he responded 'oh, I knew this American kiddy at school, he was an effing c!'
A real life prince charming. A year to the day later we, miraculously, got married.

I love this thread!

Last edited by MellD; Jan 17th 2012 at 9:56 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

katiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of light

My husband and I met on a Star Wars role-playing forum two years ago. We hit it off instantly and then started chattering on Skype every day which then turned into all day every day except when he had school or volunteering he had to do. 11 months after we met online he flew out here to stay with my family and I and asked me to marry him 15 days after our one year anniversary of having known each other (yes I am a crazy date celebrating type person). He stayed 89 out of 90 days on the VWP that trip, then I went out and spent December, January and February in the UK where we thought we were going to be living. Changed our minds on that, filed the I-129F in March and he was here by September (we got very lucky), and we were married in October.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

littletravelingx is just really nicelittletravelingx is just really nicelittletravelingx is just really nicelittletravelingx is just really nicelittletravelingx is just really nicelittletravelingx is just really nicelittletravelingx is just really nicelittletravelingx is just really nicelittletravelingx is just really nicelittletravelingx is just really nicelittletravelingx is just really nice

What a wonderful thread!

Derek and I met online in September 2007 and just thought we would be long-distance friends. As most people have said, one thing did lead to another, and we definitely had a romantic spark. He came to meet me in the US in December 2007 and we instantly hit it off. After a year of long-distance and several visits back and forth, Derek proposed in December 2008. We got "legally married" in March 2009 and had our big wedding in June 2009 and I moved to the UK with him.

And as of TODAY, his IR-1 Visa was approved and we are now relocating to the US. After nearly 3 years of marriage, I am happy that my long-distance "friend" turned into my wonderful husband!

Thanks all for sharing your stories.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 7:31 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I met Mr. Tamms playing online games (mainly Literati, the Yahoo version of Words with Friends) in 2006. We started visiting each other 4 months later and married on the 6th visit, 14 months after we first "met." Our 5th wedding anniversary is in June
Old Jan 18th 2012, 9:40 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

We met online as well.... Playing second life.

After 6 months of 'living together' online, he came over to the UK for a two week visit and we've not been apart since.

I remember one of my first posts on BE I expressed our desire to stay together throughout the whole immigration process and we were quickly put in our place.... But we pushed border patrol to it's limits and managed it .... Just... 6 months In England.... 3 months US.....backwards and forwards! It was on our last trip back to England that we were told he would not be let back in again until he'd spent at least 6 months out!!!! Luckily that was the trip where I got my visa approved.... Not a route I'd recommend!

Now we've been married just over 4 years, officially in the US for 3, and getting ready for citizenship
Old Jan 21st 2012, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

we were both running websites for our daughers footy(soccer) teams so we started emailing about footy, how to design and run websites and built it up from there
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

My wife did a year of med school in England, I got chatting to her in a bar and woke up with her the next morning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.