Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Not sure if this will have baring on any application

Wikiposts

Not sure if this will have baring on any application

Old Jun 21st 2010, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not sure if this will have baring on any application

When I entered the USA last week the POEO asked if there were any plans to marry as I said i was on a visit to see my USC GF and there were no plans to marry, but we did get engaged the following monday 2 days after entering, now I understand that they ask when and where and ask to see invoices for for the ring or rings....is this true and all though we got engaged, its not a plan to get married but the intent of getting married as there are no dates set as yet...

We do plan to get married now, but as said no dates etc with many other issues to look at, but realise that when I enter the USA again it will be to see my USC Fiance and not girlfriend...

Have we set something in motion here that could come back to bite us on our bums?
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 12:35 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not sure if this will have baring on any application

You're agonizing over nothing. Are you getting married? No, you got engaged. Period. End of Story.

BTW who do you think gives a RA about your invoice for the engagement ring?
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 2:07 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wolfy
I understand that they ask when and where and ask to see invoices for for the ring or rings....is this true
They don't give a FRA about invoices.

... its not a plan to get married but the intent of getting married as there are no dates set as yet...
To add to what Rete said... even if you now plan to get married tomorrow, you're still agonizing over nothing. You answered the question honestly at the POE... so what happens afterwards is irrelevant.

Ian
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 2:07 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wolfy,

Don't worry. You told the truth at the POE and that's all that counts. You guys plan to get married someday.

I don't know your future VWP travel intentions....but you know the rule of thumb, right? Spend more time outside the USA than inside...don't offer any information at the POE that wasn't asked for specifically, etc.

Rene
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Zap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
They don't give a FRA about invoices.
However, it can be used as supporting evidence as part of a K1 Visa (to prove intention/meeting in person). So you might want to save it for that purpose.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

Hi Wolfy,
Let me give you my story for a bit of reassurance.
I went out to see my USC GF for a two week stay in March 2009 and during the second week we got engaged. (I didn't go with this intention but it somehow felt right).
In June she flew out for a 2 week stay with me in the UK and was subjected to more questions than normal but nothing too harrowing, see it works both ways.
Then we flew back out together for a month long stay in the US. The only thing extra I was asked from the normal questions was to show my return ticket.
During this stay, we decided that there was little reason to wait so we flew to Vegas and got married. That's where we had met back in 2007 (and no it wasn't as seedy as it sounds!) I returned to the UK at the end of July as planned and we began the Immigrant visa process during August.
Once this is underway we were told that it would be difficult for me to enter the US, so instead she came to visit me in the UK during her Fall break and again at Christmas. (She is a teacher not a student in case you think I am some sort of dirty old man ) This time the UK officials were fine once she explained that I was undergoing the immigration process.
I got my Visa in late May after a small complication and here I am.
Hope that helps a little
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

hnaks fromthemanorborn quite useful info there....I am assuming its still the same process from 2007 and nothing drastically has changed?

We will be keeping every bit of paper, document and photo to prove our relationship, just seem to think i read somewhere that invoices may be asked to be seen to see where the ring was bought and where we got engaged which we also have photographic evidence of me proposing not that we knew it was being documented by her friends...

thanks for this guys, each day I am learning more and more and slowly it sinks in!
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 4:56 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

W,

If you do not attempt to immigrate on this visit then you are worrying about nothing.

If you marry, and then do not leave the USA but instead apply to immigrate (submit I-130 and I-485 to adjust status), USCIS will make a determination as to whether you lied to the CBP officer or told the truth but changed your mind after you entered. If USCIS decides the latter you will be OK, if it decides the former you will have problems.

Regards, JEff

When I entered the USA last week the POEO asked if there were any plans to marry as I said i was on a visit to see my USC GF and there were no plans to marry, but we did get engaged the following monday 2 days after entering, now I understand that they ask when and where and ask to see invoices for for the ring or rings....is this true and all though we got engaged, its not a plan to get married but the intent of getting married as there are no dates set as yet...

We do plan to get married now, but as said no dates etc with many other issues to look at, but realise that when I enter the USA again it will be to see my USC Fiance and not girlfriend...

Have we set something in motion here that could come back to bite us on our bums?
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

I am assuming its still the same process from 2007 and nothing drastically has changed?
Just to clarify, we MET in 2007, my immigration experience is pretty much as up to date as it gets.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 6:21 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zap-Robo
However, it can be used as supporting evidence as part of a K1 Visa (to prove intention/meeting in person). So you might want to save it for that purpose.
Nonsense. An invoice does not prove that someone met in person... indeed even a photo of the ring on the girl's hand doesn't prove that you met in person. Further, for a K-1 visa, the only intent that is relevant is a signed declaration of intent to marry!

Ian
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Zap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Nonsense. An invoice does not prove that someone met in person... indeed even a photo of the ring on the girl's hand doesn't prove that you met in person. Further, for a K-1 visa, the only intent that is relevant is a signed declaration of intent to marry!
Payment by a UK Visa Debit card, at a US jewellers, with a corresponding UK bank statement showing the payment. Was part of the evidence I sent. Certainly didn't do any harm.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Zap-Robo
Certainly didn't do any harm.
True... it won't hurt - but your original assertion was that it would help. It won't.

Ian
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You're agonizing over nothing. Are you getting married? No, you got engaged. Period. End of Story.
Even if you do get married tomorrow then leave as planned, you still will not be breaking any rules. There is no law against a visiting tourist marrying a USC.

It's when you enter on the VWP or a B2 with the intent to marry, then remain and file for adjustment of status that laws are broken and things can get dicey really quick.