Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

not receiving letters, is it your responsibility?

Wikiposts

not receiving letters, is it your responsibility?

Old Apr 3rd 2009, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light
Default not receiving letters, is it your responsibility?

1. is it your responsibility that YOU receive the letters from USCIS?

2. what happens if for example someone hides your EAD at your address? (does not give it to you)

I live with my mother-in-law, and today she ONLY mentioned I received a book from Victoria Secrets, looked inside and there was a letter from USCIS (my AP)
so its just got me thinking why would she mention VS and NOT USCIS, and then she says "I was going to tell you"
But I didn't believe her. Now I'm thinking she may hide my EAD from me!
This is not even half the story it gets a little more complicated than this!

ARRGGGHH it's got me in a panic mode!

Please advise.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: not receiving letters, is it your responsibility?

Originally Posted by whatadiva

2. what happens if for example someone hides your EAD at your address? (does not give it to you)

I live with my mother-in-law, and today she ONLY mentioned I received a book from Victoria Secrets, looked inside and there was a letter from USCIS (my AP)
so its just got me thinking why would she mention VS and NOT USCIS, and then she says "I was going to tell you"

Please advise.
if 30 days has passed and still no EAD OR my mother-in-law hides it from me and doesn't give it to me, can I book an info pass appt? or is there nothing I can do?
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 3:35 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Its your responsibility ... get your house in order ..
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
Its your responsibility ... get your house in order ..
it's not my house, its my mother-in-law's
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

it's not my house, its my mother-in-law's
That was a figure of speech...

Yes, it's your responsibility. But you might want to remind the MIL that tampering with US Mail is a serious crime. 18 USC 1702, Obstruction of Correspondence.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bill_S
That was a figure of speech...

Yes, it's your responsibility. But you might want to remind the MIL that tampering with US Mail is a serious crime. 18 USC 1702, Obstruction of Correspondence.
like she cares, she's a witch!
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 4:35 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

like she cares, she's a witch!
Mail fraud carries serious criminal charges - it's one of the easiest things to convict someone on.... though if you're living with her....

Are you checking your case electronically?
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Mail fraud carries serious criminal charges - it's one of the easiest things to convict someone on.... though if you're living with her....

Are you checking your case electronically?
Yes I am checking it online. Though there was no update on my AP, I received the AP today.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Can you get a P.O. Box?

Cut MIL out of the loop.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Norri
Can you get a P.O. Box?

Cut MIL out of the loop.
The thought hasn't crossed my mind.

Do USCIS send letters to P.O box addresses?

Sorry about MIL, she's getting to me!
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

The thought hasn't crossed my mind.

Do USCIS send letters to P.O box addresses?

Sorry about MIL, she's getting to me!
I believe they do, but due to it being fairly late on Friday evening I could be wrong
I'm sure someone will confirm.

No worries on MIL don't let her wear you down!
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 7:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norri
I believe they do, but due to it being fairly late on Friday evening I could be wrong
I'm sure someone will confirm.

No worries on MIL don't let her wear you down!
USCIS will deliver to a PO Box, yes. You can try getting a PO Box and then putting in a change of address (at the post office). You'd also have to change your address by notifying USCIS (not by filing an AR-11, though, since you aren't physically moving). USCIS doesn't always act on change of addresses, though, and it could take some time until they actually have your address updated to the PO Box. Might be too late to redirect the EAD to the PO Box now, unless USCIS can get your address changed in time, and if not, then hopefully the post office will forward mail from USCIS.

Rene
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Please advise.
Hi:

In the removal arena, there is a large body of case law on this -- on the facts you give, you would be in trouble.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 12:53 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ask the Post Office to hold any mail addressed to you so you can pick it up later and in person.

Or put up a mailbox outside that you mail can be placed in by the mailman. Get one that requires a key to open.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

if 30 days has passed and still no EAD OR my mother-in-law hides it from me and doesn't give it to me, can I book an info pass appt? or is there nothing I can do?
FYI, it can take up to 90 days, or possibly more, to get your EAD after you file your AOS. After the 90 days, I think you can do an InfoPass appt to determine the status.

As others suggested, I'd get the PO Box. Remind the MIL that tampering with mail is a Federal offense. If I were you, I'd drop a hint that I wouldn't hesitate to file charges of mail fraud if you find out you haven't received your mail (but I'm just a witch like that).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.