Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Not meeting residency requirements for Green Card

Wikiposts

Not meeting residency requirements for Green Card

Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:01 am
Just Joined

ainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really nice
Default Not meeting residency requirements for Green Card

I was wondering if anyone knew what happened to one's green card if you do not reside in the US. My dad received his green card in 2002, but was not able to live in the US because my brother [who he was going to stay with] could not put him up, so he went back home. [I was not in the country at the time]. It's been five years, and now he wants to come back as he is older, 80 years, and has no one to care for him at home, all the family is here. Does anyone know if that green card is still valid and if he can travel on it?
Any advice would be appreciated as he is very old and does not have long to live.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:51 am
Joe Feise

Default Re: Not meeting residency requirements for Green Card

ainmana wrote on 03/04/07 11:01:

> I was wondering if anyone knew what happened to one's green card if you
> do not reside in the US. My dad received his green card in 2002, but
> was not able to live in the US because my brother [who he was going to
> stay with] could not put him up, so he went back home. [I was not in
> the country at the time]. It's been five years, and now he wants to
> come back as he is older, 80 years, and has no one to care for him at
> home, all the family is here. Does anyone know if that green card is
> still valid and if he can travel on it?
> Any advice would be appreciated as he is very old and does not have
> long to live.
>

If a Permanent Resident is abroad for over 1 year, the GC is gone.
If a PR does not reside in the US, the GC is abandoned, regardless of how long
the person is abroad.
--
I am not a lawyer.
For reliable advice, consult a competent immigration attorney.

Old Mar 4th 2007, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

What's an 80 year old going to do about Medical Insurance.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 2:51 am
Just Joined

ainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really niceainmana is just really nice

Can they not get medical insurance?
Old Mar 6th 2007, 3:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ainmana
Can they not get medical insurance?
They can, but it would be very expensive.

There is no black and white answer to whether his green card is useful anymore or not. If a green card holder no longer lives in the USA, usually their premanent residency is considered abandoned, especially if they have not maintained a residence in the USA, paid US taxes, spent more time in the USA than out of it, etc. If a green card holder needs to be working outside the USA for a couple of years, they can get a re-entry permit which helps, but sounds like your dad didn't apply for that either. He can try going to the US Consulate and trying for a "returning resident visa", at least that way he'll know over there instead of making the long trip here and being turned away at the POE.

Rene
Old Mar 6th 2007, 3:31 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
They can, but it would be very expensive.
I would not bank on that at all ...
Old Mar 6th 2007, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ray
I would not bank on that at all ...
You are right Ray ... it would be wise to find out what is available before coming here!

I had talked with a health insurance broker with 40 years experience in the industry, and extensive contacts with other brokers. He said that, as far as he and others in the industry know, there are no standard major medical policies offered by the (standard reputable) health insurance companies for the over 65 s age group.
At your particular state level, the state may provide coverage - Mass Health for instance. It depends on your state for what that would/wouldn't be, or what it would/wouldn't provide.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 3:47 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by farmerwife
You are right Ray ... it would be wise to find out what is available before coming here!

I had talked with a health insurance broker with 40 years experience in the industry, and extensive contacts with other brokers. He said that, as far as he and others in the industry know, there are no standard major medical policies offered by the (standard reputable) health insurance companies for the over 65 s age group.
At your particular state level, the state may provide coverage - Mass Health for instance. It depends on your state for what that would/wouldn't be, or what it would/wouldn't provide.
I have been refused by most companies and I ain't nowhere near 80 .....
Old Mar 6th 2007, 3:48 am
Joe Feise

ainmana wrote on 03/06/07 07:51:

>> What's an 80 year old going to do about Medical Insurance.
>
> Can they not get medical insurance?
>

For exorbitant amounts of premiums only, if at all.
--
I am not a lawyer.
For reliable advice, consult a competent immigration attorney.

Old Mar 6th 2007, 6:09 am
Templar

> ainmana wrote on 03/06/07 07:51:
>
> >> What's an 80 year old going to do about Medical Insurance.
> >
> > Can they not get medical insurance?
> >
>
>
> For exorbitant amounts of premiums only, if at all.
> --
> I am not a lawyer.
> For reliable advice, consult a competent immigration attorney.

What's the point about the insurance? It is a 99.9999999% certainty
(can't never say 100% I reckon) his green card is a piece of plastic and
nothing more. He has sod all chance of getting a returning resident
visa. 5 years absence elminates pretty much any excuses he might have
had. His green card is as good as gone.

--

Old Mar 15th 2007, 5:34 am
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I have been refused by most companies and I ain't nowhere near 80 .....
Its the sleeping with a loaded gun under your pillow thats causing you problems matey.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 6:01 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Templar
> ainmana wrote on 03/06/07 07:51:
>
> >> What's an 80 year old going to do about Medical Insurance.
> >
> > Can they not get medical insurance?
> >
>
>
> For exorbitant amounts of premiums only, if at all.
> --
> I am not a lawyer.
> For reliable advice, consult a competent immigration attorney.

What's the point about the insurance? It is a 99.9999999% certainty
(can't never say 100% I reckon) his green card is a piece of plastic and
nothing more. He has sod all chance of getting a returning resident
visa. 5 years absence elminates pretty much any excuses he might have
had. His green card is as good as gone.

--
So what if it is as good as gone? He can re-immigrate if everyone is motivated enough.