Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Not the approval I've been waiting for...

Wikiposts

Not the approval I've been waiting for...

Old Jan 29th 2004, 1:01 pm
Overworked and exhausted

Hebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Not the approval I've been waiting for...

Patty,

I have a feeling all will be well with your husband. They saw your extra evidence, they sent it back, and now he's undergoing administrative processing. I bet if they had any remaining doubt they would have said so. But it seems they're just waiting for the administrative processing to be done before giving you any good news.
Originally posted by Khadija
I saw special, too. It was very interesting!

I'm sure Khalid's emotions are running all over the place these days. As I've said many times before, these Consular Officers just don't appreciate how difficult it is for folks to leave everything they've ever known. They assume everyone they see has dollar signs in their eyes and only wants to come here to escape their dismal surroundings. Little do they know how rich the lives they're leaving are!

At least he'll be able to spend Eid al Adha with his family.

Have you made space in the closet yet for all his clothes?

Patty
Old Jan 29th 2004, 1:17 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Patty and Rene.

This is the biggest sacrifice anybody could make. I don't know if anyone here knows about the life my husband has in Morocco. His family lives in a beautiful, three story, stone, moorish home in an affluent area of Marakesh. The entire top floor is his. He has an outdoor patio/garden off of his bedroom, two guest bedrooms, a bathroom and a small (6x8) storage area. We enjoyed the night sky and foliage before going to bed at night. The middle floor houses the kitchen, three living rooms, a great room, a bathroom, and his parent's bedroom. The bottom floor (I've never actually been in there) is a replica of the second floor. The bottom floor is leased to a young family, not because his family needs the money, it is just not the Moroccan way to waste anything, and they have entirely too much space. His father worked in a high level position for the Moroccan government, in the department of tourism, prior to his retirement. He is highly respected, well known and revered in a city of 3+ million people. If we go anywhere with my father-in-law, we are stopped and homage is paid. His pension is generous and his family wants for nothing. My husband is a trained chef with all of the certifications and "bells and whistles" that come from having attended the finest culinary institute in Morocco. His family also owns other properties, which I have never seen, because it is unbecoming to display wealth or possesion. My husband also holds a Moroccan degree in English (in other words he could be an English teacher in Morocco, if he chose to) no small feat. Teachers in Morocco are still considered individuals deserving of the highest respect and are very well paid.

I have had to endure remarks like..... "How do you know he's not just after a green-card?" or........ "Well, I sure as hell hope he's not a terrorist that pulled the wool your eyes."

Take it all for what it's worth. This is my experience.

Leslie

I saw special, too. It was very interesting!

I'm sure Khalid's emotions are running all over the place these days. As I've said many times before, these Consular Officers just don't appreciate how difficult it is for folks to leave everything they've ever known. They assume everyone they see has dollar signs in their eyes and only wants to come here to escape their dismal surroundings. Little do they know how rich the lives they're leaving are!

Patty
Old Jan 29th 2004, 1:20 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Patty

Patty!!

He has his own closet, which at the moment is under construction. I thought I could handle the renovation myself, but I have had to out-source it. In other words, my Dad is coming over to help me finish the mess I've made.

Eid al Adha is Sunday and they are so excited. Khalid is slaughtering the lamb on his own for the first time. :scared:
Old Jan 29th 2004, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Khadija is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh I hope you're right, Heba. Sometimes I share that feeling - like Tuesday when I woke up feeling pretty upbeat. Then there are days like Monday and today when I feel like we're in some sort of black hole. I did a search here for admin processing and saw the term used in Kristine's posting. Her fiance's interview was in Nov. and the admin processing took a month. I'm sure others take longer but I couldn't find the "worst case scenarios".

At least they had a "start" point. I'm not sure exactly when our "clock" started "ticking" on our admin processing. I'm settling into the idea that it will take most of Feb during which I'll keep after them via email (squeaky wheel principle).

My "goal", if you can call it that, is to hope this will be over in time to go to April for our 3 year anniversary of meeting (we met in 2001) and then fly home together. In the meantime, I'll check into what Lairdside mentioned about the NVC holding the petition for a year.

What will you do for Eid?

Cheers,
Patty

Originally posted by Hebapotamus42
Patty,

I have a feeling all will be well with your husband. They saw your extra evidence, they sent it back, and now he's undergoing administrative processing. I bet if they had any remaining doubt they would have said so. But it seems they're just waiting for the administrative processing to be done before giving you any good news.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi,

The K3 is only sidelined if the I-130 gets to the Consulate first, I believe.

What was your hubby's timeline, e.g., interview date, when they return the personal evidence and when the K3 was delivered? Presumably, he had to go through this administrative processing afterwards as well.

The info will certainly help. It seems that this step is routine for those of us who fall in love with men from "certain" countries. I don't mind routine - it would just be nice to get my arms around the timing.

Cheers,
Khadijah

Originally posted by NKA418
Hey Khadija,

I met another woman online who is in the same boat as you. Her husband is also an Arab Muslim (from Morocco). Perhaps I can get the two of you connected. PM or email me when you get a chance.

I know that's rough, just when you think that you're nearing the end and so close to being together. As far as I understood, once your petition for the I-130 was approved, the K-3 is no longer valid. I could be wrong, so don't quote me. If anyone else has solid proof on this, please post it!! In the meantime, I'll check it out and post it when time permits.

I hope you have a safe flight back!!

NKA
Old Jan 29th 2004, 6:15 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Hi,

The K3 is only sidelined if the I-130 gets to the Consulate first, I believe.

What was your hubby's timeline, e.g., interview date, when they return the personal evidence and when the K3 was delivered? Presumably, he had to go through this administrative processing afterwards as well.

The info will certainly help. It seems that this step is routine for those of us who fall in love with men from "certain" countries. I don't mind routine - it would just be nice to get my arms around the timing.

Cheers,
Khadijah

I agree with Patty. I seem to remember reading a DOS memo a long time ago which defined a visa as being available to be issued once it was at the Consulate. The I-130 trumps the K-3 once it is available to be issued - unless things have changed.

I'll try to dig that out tomorrow together with the info from the NVC. Speaking of which I think it's in their web pages.. hang on a minute...
Old Jan 29th 2004, 6:56 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by lairdside
I agree with Patty. I seem to remember reading a DOS memo a long time ago which defined a visa as being available to be issued once it was at the Consulate. The I-130 trumps the K-3 once it is available to be issued - unless things have changed.

I'll try to dig that out tomorrow together with the info from the NVC. Speaking of which I think it's in their web pages.. hang on a minute...
This is long but covers a lot of ground I think. I knew there was something about a year. It's a year from when the DS-3032 is sent

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web.../familynvc.htm

Visa Processing at the National Visa Center

National Visa Center (NVC) in New Hampshire
32 Rochester Avenue
Portsmouth
New Hampshire 03801-2909
Phone number (603) 334-0700
Website address: http://travel.state.gov/nvc.html.

Frequently Asked Questions - Children

On receipt of the approved petition from the Immigration and Naturalization Service, the National Visa Center will send the beneficiary (visa applicant) a form letter confirming receipt of the petition and notifying them of their priority date. If the petition is current or when it become current, the NVC will send the visa applicant the form DS-3032, Choice of Address and Agent form and the petitioner, an affidavit of support form I-864 and instructions on paying the filing fee for the I-864. The petitioner will also receive a DS-3020.

What do you mean by the terminology "petition is current"? Applicants registered for immigration in the family and employment based preference categories are subject to the annual numerical limitation on immigrants admitted into the United States and are required to wait for the availability of a visa number before final action can be taken on the application. Whenever there are more qualified applicants for a category than there are available numbers, the category will be considered oversubscribed and immigrant visas will be issued in the chronological order in which the petition was filed.

It is not possible to begin the administrative processing of an application until the priority date, date on which the petition is filed with the Department of Homeland Security, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) or in the case of an employment based petition supported by labor certification, date on which labor certification is approved, becomes current.

What is a DS-3032 and what do I do with it? The DS-3032 may be used by the visa applicant to choose an "agent" to assist him or her in his/her application and to receive mailings from the NVC. The "agent" may be the one who filed the immigrant visa petition, an attorney, friend or non-governmental or community-based organization. He or she cannot sign documents for the visa applicant, but can assist with fee payments and document collection. The NVC will not begin processing the visa application until they have received the DS-3032. If the DS-3032 is not returned within one year, the NVC will begin terminating the case.

Am I required to nominate an agent?

There is no requirement that you nominate an agent. The NVC may send all correspondence directly to you if you so wish. You should complete the relevant section of the DS-3032 and return the form directly to the NVC.

When is a DS-3032 not required? A DS-3032 is not required if

a G-28 is received from USCIS indicating that an attorney is the agent;
the visa applicant filed the petition on his or her behalf;
a child is being adopted.
What happens once the NVC has received the DS-3032? On receipt of the DS-3032, the NVC will mail the "agent" or visa applicant instructions on the steps which must be taken to apply for the immigrant visa, including information on payment of the visa processing fee of $335 per visa applicant. The fee is paid to the NVC which will provide the applicant with detailed information on method of payment. On payment of the fees, the NVC will mail the agent or visa applicant the Instruction Package for Immigrant Visa Applicants which consists of the Form DS-230-I Part I, Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration - Biographic Data, and Form DS-2001, Applicant's Declaration of Qualification for Immigrant Visa Interview. The Form I-864 Affidavit of Support will be mailed to the petitioner.

Who completes the Affidavit of Support, Form I-864?

The petitioner, that is to say the American citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident who filed the immigrant visa petition on behalf of the visa applicant. The petitioner must complete an I-864 if filing a petition on behalf of a spouse, parent, child, or sibling or if he or she filed an employment based petition or has a 5% or more ownership interest in the company which filed the immigrant visa petition. Please follow this link if you reside in the United Kingdom for detailed instructions on filing the I-864.. For petitioners residing in the United States, you may wish to visit the Department of State's website at http://travel.state.gov/immigrantvisas.html#aos

What do I do with the forms? Complete the biographic data form DS-230-I - Part I for each person applying for a visa, regardless of age. The form may be photocopied if insufficient copies are received. The completed DS-230-I should be returned to the NVC.

Review the information concerning police certificates: All applicants 16 years and over are required to furnish a police certificate (certificate of good conduct) to cover any period of residence of twelve months or more since reaching the age of sixteen; the period of residence is six months if country of birth or current residence. Read more...

Assemble all of the relevant documents required in support of the application and forward the form DS-2001, Applicant's Declaration of Qualification for Immigrant Visa Interview to the NVC. The documents must not be mailed to the NVC. You will be required to furnish the original and one copy of all documents on the day of the formal visa interview and medical examination at the Embassy.

Reminder: Do not download and send in any forms to the NVC until you have received official notification from them that they are ready to proceed with your application. Forms received before they officially notify you that they are ready to process your case will be discarded.

How long will the application take to process? An immigrant visa cannot be issued until the applicant's priority date has been reached. The waiting period in the family or employment based preference categories varies from category to category and can extended to several years. Information on the progress of priority dates is available on the Internet at the home page of The Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs under Visa Bulletin. This information is also available by calling a Department of State recording at (202) 663-1541. The recording uses the term "cut-off-dates" for priority dates for which visa numbers are now available.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all the helpful info, Lairdside!

I hope Abdo's administrative processing only takes a few weeks. From the sound of it, it'll take that long for the paperwork to get from Nebraska to New Hampshire and then for New Hampshire to get it's act together and notify me with all the forms, etc... For once I'll be grateful for a slow process.

I was initially confusing thinking adminstrative processing was something different than administrative review. It may be but I think the Consulates use the term interchangeably. So, what is happening to us is normal considering my husband's country of birth, age and religion and economic circumstances. I just have to learn patience (of course one could argue that, after 44 years, I'm not going to learn now).

Cheers,
P

Originally posted by lairdside