Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Not the approval I've been waiting for...

Wikiposts

Not the approval I've been waiting for...

Old Jan 28th 2004, 8:02 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not the approval I've been waiting for...

Originally posted by Hebapotamus42
I know it's worth it, but things are just so slow I'm getting really stressed and have gone on a few cookie and popcorn binges (which didn't help at all).

Heba,

You are too funny. Last night for dinner I had an entire wedge of brie cheese and a package of these fantastic crispy wheat crackers I am obsessed with.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 10:45 am
Overworked and exhausted

Hebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Leslie66
Heba,

You are too funny. Last night for dinner I had an entire wedge of brie cheese and a package of these fantastic crispy wheat crackers I am obsessed with.
LOL, are you trying to kill yourself? Last week I made some very sugary chocolate oatmeal cookies (about two dozen), and I was so stressed out I ate all of it in one day, most of them being eaten in a span of one hour. I actually wondered why I had a stomach ache a while later. I've never lost control so completely before. Usually I don't eat when I'm nervous, but it seems this immigration process has changed things.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 3:12 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, are you trying to kill yourself? Last week I made some very sugary chocolate oatmeal cookies (about two dozen), and I was so stressed out I ate all of it in one day, most of them being eaten in a span of one hour. I actually wondered why I had a stomach ache a while later. I've never lost control so completely before. Usually I don't eat when I'm nervous, but it seems this immigration process has changed things.
I don't know!! These particular wheat crackers call to me in the night. They are delicious and delightful..... This is no normal cracker we are talking about. It's kind of a cross between a cracker and a really strong potato chip, with a really strong wheat influence.

What kind of chocolate oatmeal cookies are you referring to? Is it the no-bake ones? My mother makes those to perfection.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Khadija is an unknown quantity at this point

Back in Milwaukee after quite a journey of cancelled flights. Just as well Abdo didn't have his K3 now or our plans of meeting in Paris and flying home together would have been a mess and he would have had to fly here on his own anyway!

Goodness, if I cataloged all the immigration-induce binges I've had during this process it would start to look like "War & Peace"!!

Back to the topic, I guess in this case it's a good thing that the process moves a bit slower. First it has to get to the NVC, then the NVC has to do it's thing and send me the paperwork to fill out. I'm hoping that will take about 4 weeks in which time I'm really praying that the K3 will be finished.

I wonder if other on this forum have been in this boat? It seems that most who opt to go with the I-130 do so because it gets approved about the same time as their K3 before either gets to the Consulate. In this case, going with the I-130 makes perfect sense. However, I find it hard to believe that a couple as far down the K3 road as Abdo and I are would really tack on another several months. Just thinking out loud.

Emails from the Consulate are pleasant but consistently vague. "Thanks for your email. His visa is undergoing administrative processing. We'll let you know when it's done but we can't give an estimate because each case is unique..." ARgh!!!

Patty

I don't know!! These particular wheat crackers call to me in the night. They are delicious and delightful..... This is no normal cracker we are talking about. It's kind of a cross between a cracker and a really strong potato chip, with a really strong wheat influence.

What kind of chocolate oatmeal cookies are you referring to? Is it the no-bake ones? My mother makes those to perfection.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 9:59 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

I don't believe that the I-130 will go anywhere until you not only return the paperwork but also the NVC's processing fee - so don't worry.

Please check this but off the top of my head I believe that NVC will hold the petition for a year???? waiting for payment etc. Once Abdo is in the US you can just write to them and advise them that he will be adjusting status in the US

Originally posted by Khadija
Back in Milwaukee after quite a journey of cancelled flights. Just as well Abdo didn't have his K3 now or our plans of meeting in Paris and flying home together would have been a mess and he would have had to fly here on his own anyway!

Goodness, if I cataloged all the immigration-induce binges I've had during this process it would start to look like "War & Peace"!!

Back to the topic, I guess in this case it's a good thing that the process moves a bit slower. First it has to get to the NVC, then the NVC has to do it's thing and send me the paperwork to fill out. I'm hoping that will take about 4 weeks in which time I'm really praying that the K3 will be finished.

I wonder if other on this forum have been in this boat? It seems that most who opt to go with the I-130 do so because it gets approved about the same time as their K3 before either gets to the Consulate. In this case, going with the I-130 makes perfect sense. However, I find it hard to believe that a couple as far down the K3 road as Abdo and I are would really tack on another several months. Just thinking out loud.

Emails from the Consulate are pleasant but consistently vague. "Thanks for your email. His visa is undergoing administrative processing. We'll let you know when it's done but we can't give an estimate because each case is unique..." ARgh!!!

Patty
Old Jan 29th 2004, 2:44 am
WTF?

Sorry Patty, we almost hijacked your thread with our cravings. Actually I've been really watching what I've been eating, other then the brie binge. When your being 'good' food takes on a whole lot more importance.

Patty
I can honestly say, if it were us, at this point, we wouldn't wait any longer than we absolutely had to.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 3:13 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Heb,

The processing done by the NVC following approval of the petition by a CIS service center is equivalent to (some of) the AOS processing done for a person who enters on a K visa.

No one escapes the processing, it's just a question of where the person is - in the US or outside of the US - while the processing is going on.

Regards, JEff

Cowboy,

Most of the processing that follows the I-130 is done at the NVC, unlike the K visas where the NVC just serves as a conduit. Processing at the NVC is incredibly slow and there are a lot of extra steps involved than the K visas. If mys husband had submitted P3 for the K3, I probably would have just continued with that for the same reasons Patty mentioned. But since the I-130 got approved before he sent in P3, I've decided to wait out the IV processing. I know it's worth it, but things are just so slow I'm getting really stressed and have gone on a few cookie and popcorn binges (which didn't help at all).
Old Jan 29th 2004, 3:17 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Patty,

Close but not quite.

The USC always has the right to petition for their foreign spouse or fiance(e). The approval of the petition gives the foreign spouse or fiance(e) the ability to submit an application for a visa.

Regards, JEff

Hi all - last night in Vienna. My packing is done so I thought I'd check in.

Yes, it is good news that our I-130 was approved. However, as I've learned with the K3, that only says I have the right to petition as a USC for my foreign spouse to obtain a visa. It does not guarantee us anything.

Patty Khadijah
Old Jan 29th 2004, 4:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

It's Ramen Noodle Soup for me. Late at night, too. The later the better. That stuff is horrible for you...it's made of calories and sodium, and that's it. But, it's my comfort food.

Sadegh is still in Iran. It will be a month this coming weekend. He hasn't been able to get a phone line out to America from his small town, so I haven't even talked to him. His brother is in Turkey watching the shop and says Sadegh keeps saying he'll be back as soon as he can.

The good news is that Ankara has said they'll wait until May 21st for us to submit P3. They realize dealing with the Iranian government can be a long process. So, that's the bright side of everything.

Sorry Patty, I didn't mean to hijack your thread with my update. I hope Abdo gets the visa SOON!!!!

Best Wishes to everyone,
Rene
Old Jan 29th 2004, 4:17 am
Overworked and exhausted

Hebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud of

JEff,

I hardly know anything about AOS processing since I never planned on it. But it seems so far that I-130 processing at the NVC involves most of the same stuff that was asked for in P3 for the K3, the extra steps being them sending fee bills first and taking forever to do so. The NVC makes the interview appointment and all that's left to do after the NVC finishes processing are the photos and medical exam. On one of my calls to the NVC I asked them why they were so slow to send me the affidavit of support fee bill and the answer I got was that they "haven't yet printed it." I was hoping to have everything done my March, but at the rate things are going it's highly unlikely.
Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Heb,

The processing done by the NVC following approval of the petition by a CIS service center is equivalent to (some of) the AOS processing done for a person who enters on a K visa.

No one escapes the processing, it's just a question of where the person is - in the US or outside of the US - while the processing is going on.

Regards, JEff
Old Jan 29th 2004, 5:31 am
WTF?

Hi Rene,

I've been wondering about you. In your case 'no news' isn't very 'good news'. I can't believe you haven't talked to Sadegh in so long.

They had an excellent show on PBS last night about Islam. Did any of you guys get to watch it?

Leslie

Originally posted by Noorah101
Hi guys,

It's Ramen Noodle Soup for me. Late at night, too. The later the better. That stuff is horrible for you...it's made of calories and sodium, and that's it. But, it's my comfort food.

Sadegh is still in Iran. It will be a month this coming weekend. He hasn't been able to get a phone line out to America from his small town, so I haven't even talked to him. His brother is in Turkey watching the shop and says Sadegh keeps saying he'll be back as soon as he can.

The good news is that Ankara has said they'll wait until May 21st for us to submit P3. They realize dealing with the Iranian government can be a long process. So, that's the bright side of everything.

Sorry Patty, I didn't mean to hijack your thread with my update. I hope Abdo gets the visa SOON!!!!

Best Wishes to everyone,
Rene
Old Jan 29th 2004, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Was it the one about the Hajj or was it the one about Mohammed (pbuH)?

Yeah, I feel badly for Rene, too. A month is a long time but, Inshaallah, it won't be much longer.

Just think, Leslie, just two more weeks and you'll be in a state of bliss!!!

Patty Khadijah

Hi Rene,

I've been wondering about you. In your case 'no news' isn't very 'good news'. I can't believe you haven't talked to Sadegh in so long.

They had an excellent show on PBS last night about Islam. Did any of you guys get to watch it?

Leslie
Old Jan 29th 2004, 6:59 am
WTF?

Was it the one about the Hajj or was it the one about Mohammed (pbuH)?

Yeah, I feel badly for Rene, too. A month is a long time but, Inshaallah, it won't be much longer.

Just think, Leslie, just two more weeks and you'll be in a state of bliss!!!

Patty Khadijah
I just realized that PBS stations are regional, so it probably wasn't on everywhere. It was called "Islam Empire of Faith" it was in 4 or 5 segments. Actually it covered the history of Islam beginning to end. Really well done.

Here's a link.
http://www.pbs.org/empires/islam/faithtoday.html

Patty,

It's two weeks from today!! I can't believe it. I really can't believe it.

Poor thing though, he's really torn up about leaving his family. They are all so close. We had a tough time on the phone last night, but it is nothing I wasn't expecting. It's just very hard for him to think of leaving them. I'm glad I won't be there at the airport when he says good-bye. It's gonna be a heart breaker.

Leslie
Old Jan 29th 2004, 8:03 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Patty and Leslie. I can't believe it's been almost a month, either. Looking on the bright side, though, this is giving him more time with his family (and Leslie's post just confirmed how important that is). Also, with all my own family things going on right now, maybe it's a good thing I'm not stressing over the interview appointment and being in Turkey right now. God works in mysterious ways sometimes :-)

Rene
Old Jan 29th 2004, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

I saw special, too. It was very interesting!

I'm sure Khalid's emotions are running all over the place these days. As I've said many times before, these Consular Officers just don't appreciate how difficult it is for folks to leave everything they've ever known. They assume everyone they see has dollar signs in their eyes and only wants to come here to escape their dismal surroundings. Little do they know how rich the lives they're leaving are!

At least he'll be able to spend Eid al Adha with his family.

Have you made space in the closet yet for all his clothes?

Patty

I just realized that PBS stations are regional, so it probably wasn't on everywhere. It was called "Islam Empire of Faith" it was in 4 or 5 segments. Actually it covered the history of Islam beginning to end. Really well done.

Here's a link.
http://www.pbs.org/empires/islam/faithtoday.html

Patty,

It's two weeks from today!! I can't believe it. I really can't believe it.

Poor thing though, he's really torn up about leaving his family. They are all so close. We had a tough time on the phone last night, but it is nothing I wasn't expecting. It's just very hard for him to think of leaving them. I'm glad I won't be there at the airport when he says good-bye. It's gonna be a heart breaker.

Leslie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.