Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

no idea how this even works, and i even live here....

Wikiposts

no idea how this even works, and i even live here....

Old Aug 28th 2008, 4:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: no idea how this even works, and i even live here....

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I think she's trying to say that she won't leave the US until she's completed her PhD. There are other PhD programs outside the US though, if she really wants to be with the boyfriend.
Ah, I see. She did say she was born and bred here, I forgot...and when she said she's stuck here another few years, I thought maybe she wasn't a USC after all.

Rene
Old Aug 28th 2008, 5:33 am
Just Joined

mplimasol is an unknown quantity at this point

I think to get the Fellowships for a grad program, the prospective student has to be exceptional gifted, and they will have to interview with professors and basically win it (just like a scholarship). IIRC, an F1 requires him to be accepted at the university before he can apply for the visa. But acceptance at the uni does not guarantee an F1 will be given to him at the consulate.

You have to do what works for you. However, there are some advantages if you pursue the K1. For one, he can work wherever he wants, and for however many hours he wants, without restriction. He would most likely pay tuition based upon being an out-of-state resident, instead of International student because he would be considered living in OH with you. Out-of-state is typically much cheaper than International. Once he gains his Permanent Residence based on marriage to you, he immediately becomes eligible for Federal Financial Aid and all sorts of scholarships, grants etc that are only open to PRs and citizens.

FWIW, I met my hubby when I was 24, and went overseas to study for a semester. We, too, looked into the F1 so that we wouldn't have to jump into marriage to be together. We wanted a 'getting to know each other better' stage. Ultimately, it was going to prove too costly for a F1, and we took the plunge into getting married. Six years later, we have been married for 4 years and he's getting ready to take the oath of citizenship tomorrow.

What worked for us may not work for you, so good luck.
the thing is he was a graphic design major (or whatever the equivalent is over there) when he went to university and is wanting to do something in english/scriptwriting. i don't really know how those kinds of things are awarded, as far as a fellowship is concerned. having been in engineering and economics, i know that the ones in those particular programs are based upon things like GPA, coursework, research, etc. so i think i will have to talk to the english department directly about that.

that's what i presumed - he would need to get accepted to the college before applying for the F-1, and i read as well that, yes, it's no guarantee.

the latter part sounds plausible, much to my dismay. i didn't even consider the PR status after marriage on a K-1 visa.

i know that my college has a sister university in london that i might, assuming i do well, be able to get into for either my master's or my ph.d, but that is still a ways off, and either way it doesn't solve the visa program - i would have to get the visa instead, and then what to do when my education is finished.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mplimasol
the thing is he was a graphic design major (or whatever the equivalent is over there) when he went to university and is wanting to do something in english/scriptwriting. i don't really know how those kinds of things are awarded, as far as a fellowship is concerned. having been in engineering and economics, i know that the ones in those particular programs are based upon things like GPA, coursework, research, etc. so i think i will have to talk to the english department directly about that.

that's what i presumed - he would need to get accepted to the college before applying for the F-1, and i read as well that, yes, it's no guarantee.

the latter part sounds plausible, much to my dismay. i didn't even consider the PR status after marriage on a K-1 visa.

i know that my college has a sister university in london that i might, assuming i do well, be able to get into for either my master's or my ph.d, but that is still a ways off, and either way it doesn't solve the visa program - i would have to get the visa instead, and then what to do when my education is finished.
I don't think getting the visa to study in the UK is as difficult as getting one for the US, especially if you have an existing program to go through. I used a Study Abroad program to study in Glasgow, and I never even had to fill out the visa paperwork. IIRC, the program advisors filled it all out, and I was sent a letter that I then used upon entry to the UK, which stated I was attending school there. But your tuition rates will much higher than what you are paying here I imagine. One semester at my uni here in the US was about $1800, over there it was $7500 including my dorm. Keep in mind, that was in 2002. For a London univ. it could be much higher. There are great advantages to studying overseas, so I would highly recommend it, despite the costs.

It's nice to meet a fellow woman engineer! I still don't meet that many of us after being in the field for 5+ years.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:21 am
Just Joined

mplimasol is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think getting the visa to study in the UK is as difficult as getting one for the US, especially if you have an existing program to go through. I used a Study Abroad program to study in Glasgow, and I never even had to fill out the visa paperwork. IIRC, the program advisors filled it all out, and I was sent a letter that I then used upon entry to the UK, which stated I was attending school there. But your tuition rates will much higher than what you are paying here I imagine. One semester at my uni here in the US was about $1800, over there it was $7500 including my dorm. Keep in mind, that was in 2002. For a London univ. it could be much higher. There are great advantages to studying overseas, so I would highly recommend it, despite the costs.

It's nice to meet a fellow woman engineer! I still don't meet that many of us after being in the field for 5+ years.
still haven't been able to get an appt with the grad school - but i just assume that they are busy with the new school year.

i have looked into studying abroad slightly. akron exchanges students to huron uni in london and wolverhampton uni, but neither of which really have anything to do with my program. the london school of econ is somewhere that i know a few students in the past have gone to, but just for random SnG i looked at what it takes to get to oxford. i know my brother got an offer there, but didn't say much about it. basically, it would cost about $50,000 to go there, per year, when living and other expenses are included. so if i want to go about it that way, i could end up with some hefty debts! but i see what you're saying - it would be relatively easy for me to study in the UK as compared with P coming to the US to study (i've got a leg up, at least, because my grades are all honors).

of course, i might get accepted to oxford, and just not get any money to go there. but there are plenty of universities out there, and i'm not sure if london is necessarily a place where i would want to study.

as an aside, i was doing mechanical polymer engineering, then switched to econ. yes... my profs always raise an eyebrow to that one. but i've had enough math to get me through grad school.