Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

no idea how this even works, and i even live here....

Wikiposts

no idea how this even works, and i even live here....

Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: no idea how this even works, and i even live here....

You guys are cool..It took 40 odd posts for you lot to convince them
to get married

problem solved.

Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:04 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
We love a good wedding.................
We certainly do -- provided it doesn't end in a kid with a ginger nonce.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:20 am
Just Joined

mplimasol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by E3only
You guys are cool..It took 40 odd posts for you lot to convince them
to get married

problem solved.

really, i appreciate the help, but not the sarcasm. i have expressed that i would really, really, really like to do this another way, one that doesn't potentially involve ruining each others' lives.

my sister's friend D, from the ukraine, told her that he was "sponsored" by a professor in the university. i'm not entirely sure what that entails. i know that D had an assistanceship because he did research for a team and also taught undergraduate labs, but what makes the prof a "sponsor" of him, i'm not sure - i don't know if the prof provided him with living expenses, thus knocking out one of the requirements for a student visa (basically, the proof that you're going to have a means of financial support). she said that she would talk to him and find out how he got over here.

another student that i know, H, has family that works for the uni, so that doesn't apply.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:28 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mplimasol
really, i appreciate the help, but not the sarcasm. i have expressed that i would really, really, really like to do this another way, one that doesn't potentially involve ruining each others' lives.

my sister's friend D, from the ukraine, told her that he was "sponsored" by a professor in the university. i'm not entirely sure what that entails. i know that D had an assistanceship because he did research for a team and also taught undergraduate labs, but what makes the prof a "sponsor" of him, i'm not sure - i don't know if the prof provided him with living expenses, thus knocking out one of the requirements for a student visa (basically, the proof that you're going to have a means of financial support). she said that she would talk to him and find out how he got over here.

another student that i know, H, has family that works for the uni, so that doesn't apply.
Aaaw! You don't appreciate sarcasm? Then what possessed you to start talking to a bunch of Brits?!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Aaaw! You don't appreciate sarcasm? Then what possessed you to start talking to a bunch of Brits?!
yes, yes, all fine and good, you lot are known for it - i've seen your tv programs.

but brits are also, on the whole, i would think, smart, so thought you to be a good resource for information, which, as a student, i am always desperate for.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

yes, yes, all fine and good, you lot are known for it - i've seen your tv programs.

but brits are also, on the whole, i would think, smart, so thought you to be a good resource for information, which, as a student, i am always desperate for.
If you have a Brit boyfriend - learn to enjoy the sarcasm!

It is pretty funny really...

Perhaps your school will have something for him - what the regular posters are telling you (in their sarcastic way ) is that the easiest way to get over here and stay here is through marriage.

Of course, if you two are not ready for marriage, you shouldn't do it - but you already know that.

See what the school has to say and get back to us.

The posters here WILL help you - with a few wisecracks interspersed. Giggle and move on...
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tracym
If you have a Brit boyfriend - learn to enjoy the sarcasm!

It is pretty funny really...

Perhaps your school will have something for him - what the regular posters are telling you (in their sarcastic way ) is that the easiest way to get over here and stay here is through marriage.

Of course, if you two are not ready for marriage, you shouldn't do it - but you already know that.

See what the school has to say and get back to us.

The posters here WILL help you - with a few wisecracks interspersed. Giggle and move on...
yes, i agree, it has been much much help.

P isn't too sarcastic, however. he's more... breaks into random labyrinth quotes and is overall adorable.

talking to the school today, will report back.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:41 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

smart maybe but not magical. We cant make a route up for him that doesnt already exist.

We have told you the questions you need to get answered so you can decide if the student visa is the way forward or not. If its not the way forward then he either marries you or you come to england - or it will be a long distance relationship for a while.

We can help with questions but not wave a magic wand that will create a route that you want to exist.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MsElui
smart maybe but not magical. We cant make a route up for him that doesnt already exist.

We have told you the questions you need to get answered so you can decide if the student visa is the way forward or not. If its not the way forward then he either marries you or you come to england - or it will be a long distance relationship for a while.

We can help with questions but not wave a magic wand that will create a route that you want to exist.
understand. i may be a bit young, but not stupid. this may take a number of years to get sorted out, and i'm fine with that - i'm stuck here for about 6.5 years until i get mt ph.d.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:55 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

I think just to put it in perspective as well....

A lot of people want to come to America. A LARGE proportion of those people have NO route available to them at all. They just cannot come - no matter how much they want to. You only have to look at the posts on here for a week to see a cross section of those.

You chap is lucky as he does have ways - albeit that may cost a lot of money/time or may involve marriage which is not your preference yet.

So you two are in a far better position than most - even if it doesnt feel like it right now. You do have options.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

my sister's friend D, from the ukraine, told her that he was "sponsored" by a professor in the university. i'm not entirely sure what that entails. i know that D had an assistanceship because he did research for a team and also taught undergraduate labs, but what makes the prof a "sponsor" of him, i'm not sure
Possibly talking about a J-1.

You and he need to talk to the Office of Foreign Students (or whatever UAkron calls it). They will know what his options are, and what he has to do.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I think to get the Fellowships for a grad program, the prospective student has to be exceptional gifted, and they will have to interview with professors and basically win it (just like a scholarship). IIRC, an F1 requires him to be accepted at the university before he can apply for the visa. But acceptance at the uni does not guarantee an F1 will be given to him at the consulate.

You have to do what works for you. However, there are some advantages if you pursue the K1. For one, he can work wherever he wants, and for however many hours he wants, without restriction. He would most likely pay tuition based upon being an out-of-state resident, instead of International student because he would be considered living in OH with you. Out-of-state is typically much cheaper than International. Once he gains his Permanent Residence based on marriage to you, he immediately becomes eligible for Federal Financial Aid and all sorts of scholarships, grants etc that are only open to PRs and citizens.

FWIW, I met my hubby when I was 24, and went overseas to study for a semester. We, too, looked into the F1 so that we wouldn't have to jump into marriage to be together. We wanted a 'getting to know each other better' stage. Ultimately, it was going to prove too costly for a F1, and we took the plunge into getting married. Six years later, we have been married for 4 years and he's getting ready to take the oath of citizenship tomorrow.

What worked for us may not work for you, so good luck.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

understand. i may be a bit young, but not stupid. this may take a number of years to get sorted out, and i'm fine with that - i'm stuck here for about 6.5 years until i get mt ph.d.
Are you a US citizen?

Rene
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:43 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Are you a US citizen?

Rene
She already told us born and bred a while back.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Are you a US citizen?

Rene
I think she's trying to say that she won't leave the US until she's completed her PhD. There are other PhD programs outside the US though, if she really wants to be with the boyfriend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.