Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

no idea how this even works, and i even live here....

Wikiposts

no idea how this even works, and i even live here....

Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: no idea how this even works, and i even live here....

Originally Posted by Manc
bingo!
Problem solved in 30 posts ...longer than most ...
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

mplimasol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
And this other person is a boyfriend ....

Hows marriage fit into your plans

gyarrr. let's just say that in the sake of conservatism, i am still quite young and with an unfinished degree.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Problem solved in 30 posts ...longer than most ...
i would just rather not go that route, because it can bring a slew of problems that perhaps neither of us is ready for. if, for example, we fall out of favor, the visas go poof - he could be in the middle of an education... it's just hairy. i would much prefer him to get a non-marriage based visa that isn't contingent upon what we do, because regardless he is pretty set on wanting to continue the education, furthermore wanting to do it here. this is his primary goal.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mplimasol
gyarrr. let's just say that in the sake of conservatism, i am still quite young and with an unfinished degree.
So thats a maybe .. it solves all the problems

A nice k-1 visa for him ...
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:00 pm
Ray

i would just rather not go that route, because it can bring a slew of problems that perhaps neither of us is ready for. if, for example, we fall out of favor, the visas go poof - he could be in the middle of an education... it's just hairy. i would much prefer him to get a non-marriage based visa that isn't contingent upon what we do, because regardless he is pretty set on wanting to continue the education, furthermore wanting to do it here. this is his primary goal.
The odds are stacked against that happening
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
The odds are stacked against that happening
what if the university expressed willingness to want him to study here? i mean, not just financially, but for someone to say, "yes, we want you to come here because of what you can offer us." ?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:03 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

that's why i was hoping that he could get funding provided through the university. MOST of the foreign students i know have these kinds of scholarships or assistanceships, which depends on other variables like grades, program, grants, et cetera, but at least it is possible - here - to end up not going deathly into debt.
Here's what the consulate will expect to see to ensure he has enough money.

http://undergrad.osu.edu/intlCosts.html

He needs $35k - $40k / year
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:10 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

what if the university expressed willingness to want him to study here? i mean, not just financially, but for someone to say, "yes, we want you to come here because of what you can offer us." ?
A fellowship?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Here's what the consulate will expect to see to ensure he has enough money.

http://undergrad.osu.edu/intlCosts.html

He needs $35k - $40k / year
oh jesus, no, we're not even half the costs of OSU here.... but i believe i have seen similar forms for us, just can't find them atm.

as an aside, i read that my school normally accepts these visas: F-1, J-1, and H-1, and mentions something about an I-94 form that can be adjusted if the student is still doing what the visa was originally issued for... but reading the descriptions, the F-1 looks like it would be a close match, i suppose. for students with an F-1, it also mentions that they need to submit a I-20/DS-2019 with the visa....

http://www.uakron.edu/admissions/int...abId=tab110394 for reference...
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

A fellowship?
a fellowship is like a scholarship - is that what you meant?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:34 pm
Septicity

oh jesus, no, we're not even half the costs of OSU here.... but i believe i have seen similar forms for us, just can't find them atm.

as an aside, i read that my school normally accepts these visas: F-1, J-1, and H-1, and mentions something about an I-94 form that can be adjusted if the student is still doing what the visa was originally issued for... but reading the descriptions, the F-1 looks like it would be a close match, i suppose. for students with an F-1, it also mentions that they need to submit a I-20/DS-2019 with the visa....

http://www.uakron.edu/admissions/int...abId=tab110394 for reference...
You're looking up those visa letters and numbers and choosing randomly again! Don't do it -- it'll make you blind!

Call up or visit the international office at your university. Ask them how an international student can take whatever he wants to take and how much money he'll need to show to get the visa. It WILL be in the tens of thousands. Then ask if there are any scholarships/fellowships/etc to reduce the cost and how to apply for them.

After you've done that, choose your wedding dress and take the only practical route.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

You're looking up those visa letters and numbers and choosing randomly again! Don't do it -- it'll make you blind!

Call up or visit the international office at your university. Ask them how an international student can take whatever he wants to take and how much money he'll need to show to get the visa. It WILL be in the tens of thousands. Then ask if there are any scholarships/fellowships/etc to reduce the cost and how to apply for them.

After you've done that, choose your wedding dress and take the only practical route.
i can do this on the morrow - the contact, more specifically - and then just report back here with the info, i suppose. but the grad school often operates independently of the specific programs... this could get quite convoluted. regardless, admissions is admissions, and moneys may come from them or departmentally. i just have to figure that part out... thinking aloud now.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:43 pm
Ray

i can do this on the morrow - the contact, more specifically - and then just report back here with the info, i suppose. but the grad school often operates independently of the specific programs... this could get quite convoluted. regardless, admissions is admissions, and moneys may come from them or departmentally. i just have to figure that part out... thinking aloud now.
So we are thinking ..white at the wedding ...for you both
with bridemaid in Ivory
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:45 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Ray
So we are thinking ..white at the wedding ...for you both
with bridemaid in Ivory
Well I'm sure she'll be posting the pics in our gallery.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:50 pm
Ray

Well I'm sure she'll be posting the pics in our gallery.
We love a good wedding.................

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.