Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

no idea how this even works, and i even live here....

Wikiposts

no idea how this even works, and i even live here....

Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

mplimasol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: no idea how this even works, and i even live here....

Originally Posted by Bill_S
The requirement for an employer to sponsor him for a work visa. His American spouse could sponsor him for permanent residence, and work authorization is available while the case is being processed.
so if he were to be married to someone in the states, he could just apply for V-1, right? and that would be the end of it?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:19 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mplimasol
so if he were to be married to someone in the states, he could just apply for V-1, right? and that would be the end of it?
V-1 ..where did you get that from ...
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
V-1 ..where did you get that from ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_visas

more like a K-3 then? that one makes more sense, i suppose... heh.

as a small aside, someone told me that there is a 90 day stipulation on the K-1 for engaged partners. this is true?

Last edited by mplimasol; Aug 27th 2008 at 3:30 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:38 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

as a small aside, someone told me that there is a 90 day stipulation on the K-1 for engaged partners. this is true?
Okay -- it'd be easier to state your goals and then find the visa. Randomly picking them from a list is a little like playing roulette. Most people need a k3 like you need a chocolate teapot.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If he already has a USC girlfriend, we can help decide which way is best for him to come here...typically a K-1 visa for a fiance, then he must marry within 90 days of his arrival.

If he currently does NOT have a USC girlfriend, then you're still going to have to look at the non-marriage-based visas to get him to the USA. Once he is here and THEN gets a USC girlfriend, marriage-based ways of getting US permanent residency can be discussed.

I mean if he doesn't even have a USC girlfriend, it can be VERY confusing looking at the different marriage-based routes.

Rene
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Okay -- it'd be easier to state your goals and then find the visa. Randomly picking them from a list is a little like playing roulette. Most people need a k3 like you need a chocolate teapot.
not familiar with the colloquialism, but i think i see what you're getting at.

in either event, i would like to avoid this route, even if it is the "easier" road to travel. for a fact, i know that he would like to get his master's in a grad program offered here, it may then just be beneficial for him to apply first, see the status of his acceptance, and wait to come here until the school can admit him. for my school, foreign students have to apply about 6 months in advance for acceptance into grad school. but the stipulations are mainly what i'm concerned about in applying for the visa in the first place.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps it may be better to ask the actual person to post ..
you seem to be all over the place...
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If he already has a USC girlfriend, we can help decide which way is best for him to come here...typically a K-1 visa for a fiance, then he must marry within 90 days of his arrival.

If he currently does NOT have a USC girlfriend, then you're still going to have to look at the non-marriage-based visas to get him to the USA. Once he is here and THEN gets a USC girlfriend, marriage-based ways of getting US permanent residency can be discussed.

I mean if he doesn't even have a USC girlfriend, it can be VERY confusing looking at the different marriage-based routes.

Rene
agreed. a modification of your second option looks plausible.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Perhaps it may be better to ask the actual person to post ..
you seem to be all over the place...
my problem is that there are a few different avenues as to how this could be handled, but trying to figure out the right one, or the one that makes the most sense, is where the trouble occurs. i walked into it thinking that it would be a logical process, but have found that it's not - thus the asking for help. your point is a valid one, but i'm afraid i can't offer you any apologies.

i was hoping to just present him with the information on how to apply for a visa, since i live here and can deal with the systems on my end more easily.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:48 pm
Ray

my problem is that there are a few different avenues as to how this could be handled, but trying to figure out the right one, or the one that makes the most sense, is where the trouble occurs. i walked into it thinking that it would be a logical process, but have found that it's not - thus the asking for help. your point is a valid one, but i'm afraid i can't offer you any apologies.

i was hoping to just present him with the information on how to apply for a visa, since i live here and can deal with the systems on my end more easily.
Oh for it to be that easy .....
unless you are an American citizen
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Oh for it to be that easy .....
unless you are an American citizen
yes, born and raised here.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:50 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

not familiar with the colloquialism, but i think i see what you're getting at.

in either event, i would like to avoid this route, even if it is the "easier" road to travel. for a fact, i know that he would like to get his master's in a grad program offered here, it may then just be beneficial for him to apply first, see the status of his acceptance, and wait to come here until the school can admit him. for my school, foreign students have to apply about 6 months in advance for acceptance into grad school. but the stipulations are mainly what i'm concerned about in applying for the visa in the first place.
Well here's a thought -- a permanent resident will, probably after a year here, pay 1/5 or less what an international student will in fees for the same course at a public university.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:52 pm
Ray

yes, born and raised here.
And this other person is a boyfriend ....

Hows marriage fit into your plans
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:54 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Hows marriage fit into your plans
bingo!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Well here's a thought -- a permanent resident will, probably after a year here, pay 1/5 or less what an international student will in fees for the same course at a public university.
that's why i was hoping that he could get funding provided through the university. MOST of the foreign students i know have these kinds of scholarships or assistanceships, which depends on other variables like grades, program, grants, et cetera, but at least it is possible - here - to end up not going deathly into debt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.