Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Nigerian Consulate Appointment

Wikiposts

Nigerian Consulate Appointment

Old Feb 15th 2004, 6:26 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nigerian Consulate Appointment

Originally posted by ruthann1212
I was just wondering... I thought packet 3 and 4 are together now?? oh and DaGeek and Jeff swear that you shouldn't wait for the packet to arrive by post but to go and physically pick it up...Please correct me if I'm wrong on either point guys...

Ruthann
Hey Ruthan

Most immigration petitions are initiated by a close relative or an employer in the United States. The petition is filed with the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service. All final interviews and approvals are done at the U.S. Consulate in Lagos. After initial approval, applicants will be notified by the U.S. Consulate in Lagos about documentation requirements and how to schedule the final interview. Required medical examinations for immigrant visas are conducted only in Lagos and only by doctors certified by the U.S. Consulate there.

That's what the website says.. But if others that went thru Nigeria picked up the packet from the embassy, I don't know what gives then
Old Feb 15th 2004, 7:32 am
Just Joined

vade is an unknown quantity at this point

From all that I have heard, you should pick up the packet 3/4 in person to experdite the process. The embassy will mail the packet but it is a slow process. Delivery in Nigeria is also slow, due to bad addressing issues in some cities/area.
My wife will pick up the packet.
Good luck with your case.
Regards.
Old Feb 15th 2004, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

ruthann1212 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Hey Ruthan

Most immigration petitions are initiated by a close relative or an employer in the United States. The petition is filed with the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service. All final interviews and approvals are done at the U.S. Consulate in Lagos. After initial approval, applicants will be notified by the U.S. Consulate in Lagos about documentation requirements and how to schedule the final interview. Required medical examinations for immigrant visas are conducted only in Lagos and only by doctors certified by the U.S. Consulate there.

That's what the website says.. But if others that went thru Nigeria picked up the packet from the embassy, I don't know what gives then
Nigeria is a WHOLE different animal.... what their website says and what happens is very rarely the same thing! All of my Nija friends will vouch for that... The post in Nigeria is almost completely unreliable. I have heard from some attorneys that never ever had they heard of anyone there getting the packet by post. Whether they "said" they sent it or not. I think I remember hearing one story where the applicant was told that it was mailed and when they showed up a few days later to enquire it was right there.. VERY UNRELIABLE.. I say take email or call the consulate, when they verify that they have the file, take the approval letter with, and collect it personally.. I think that is what Remi and DaGeek did.. check it out.. You can't take any chances in LAGOS.. this I KNOW!!! LOL

Ruthann
Old Feb 15th 2004, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

ruthann1212 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by vade
From all that I have heard, you should pick up the packet 3/4 in person to experdite the process. The embassy will mail the packet but it is a slow process. Delivery in Nigeria is also slow, due to bad addressing issues in some cities/area.
My wife will pick up the packet.
Good luck with your case.
Regards.
GOOD plan!!!

Ruthann
Old Feb 15th 2004, 7:42 am

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ruthann1212
Nigeria is a WHOLE different animal.... what their website says and what happens is very rarely the same thing! All of my Nija friends will vouch for that... The post in Nigeria is almost completely unreliable. I have heard from some attorneys that never ever had they heard of anyone there getting the packet by post. Whether they "said" they sent it or not. I think I remember hearing one story where the applicant was told that it was mailed and when they showed up a few days later to enquire it was right there.. VERY UNRELIABLE.. I say take email or call the consulate, when they verify that they have the file, take the approval letter with, and collect it personally.. I think that is what Remi and DaGeek did.. check it out.. You can't take any chances in LAGOS.. this I KNOW!!! LOL

Ruthann
I didn't know the postal services sucked that bad..sorry!! and thanks for the input!!
Old Feb 15th 2004, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Nigeria postal system sucks! I know of few relatives that received their IV pakets. This is just a process that we are all in a hurry for and no one expecting their spouse should wait. Anyway, lucky you...you are from a second world! Things in Nigeria don't work like the first and second world, it is a third world, similar to that of Mexico, Jamaica and others....lol
Old Feb 15th 2004, 8:10 am

Originally posted by vade
Nigeria postal system sucks! I know of few relatives that received their IV pakets. This is just a process that we are all in a hurry for and no one expecting their spouse should wait. Anyway, lucky you...you are from a second world! Things in Nigeria don't work like the first and second world, it is a third world, similar to that of Mexico, Jamaica and others....lol
I am glad I am from Spain!!
Old Feb 15th 2004, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

DaGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely have your wife/fiance(e) go to the embassy in person and pick the packet 3/4 up. They need to have copies of your NOA2, Letter from NVC saying the file has been forwarded to Lagos and any/all emails you have exchanged with the consulate. In my experience, they always responded to my emails - just 3 or 4 days after I sent them. I imagine that they're very busy with enquiries from petitioners. In our case, I exchanged several emails with them in which I essentially offered (nicely!) to save them the cost/hassle of postage by having my wife go there to pick up the packet 3/4. They agreed to the plan (via email) and told her to come any day of the week (apart from Wed) after 11 a.m. She went there with a copy of this email, the NOA2 drom NBC and letter from NVC. She go all her paperwork and interview date the same day. They sent me an enail about 5 days later to inform me that her interview date had been fixed.

DG
Old Feb 15th 2004, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by DaGeek
Definitely have your wife/fiance(e) go to the embassy in person and pick the packet 3/4 up. They need to have copies of your NOA2, Letter from NVC saying the file has been forwarded to Lagos and any/all emails you have exchanged with the consulate. In my experience, they always responded to my emails - just 3 or 4 days after I sent them. I imagine that they're very busy with enquiries from petitioners. In our case, I exchanged several emails with them in which I essentially offered (nicely!) to save them the cost/hassle of postage by having my wife go there to pick up the packet 3/4. They agreed to the plan (via email) and told her to come any day of the week (apart from Wed) after 11 a.m. She went there with a copy of this email, the NOA2 drom NBC and letter from NVC. She go all her paperwork and interview date the same day. They sent me an enail about 5 days later to inform me that her interview date had been fixed.

DG
Thanks for sharing your experience. It is a good plan.