Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Newly Engaged US/UK couple

Newly Engaged US/UK couple

Old May 18th 2015, 6:28 pm
Permanent Legal Resident

AndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Newly Engaged US/UK couple

Last month me and my now fiancé got engaged,

She is an American citizen in California and I'm in London British citizen.

Could anyone help with the visa process I am looking at residing over to the states with her and we are looking at having the wedding out where she comes from, my main interest is how long does the visa process take and if everything is approved as anyone had any issues getting work afterwards?

Thanks
Old May 18th 2015, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly Engaged US/UK couple

Originally Posted by AndyEODV8
... my main interest is how long does the visa process take and if everything is approved as anyone had any issues getting work afterwards?
If you're going to marry in the US, then you're looking at a K-1 (fiancé) visa. We have a nice Wiki article about it. From start to finish, you're looking at about 8-10 months from the time your USC fiancée files the I-129F petition until you get the visa in your passport. As for work, once you're married you apply for employment authorization (EAD) as part of your adjustment paperwork (from K-1 beneficiary to US permanent resident (= green card)). The EAD takes about 60-90 days to get.

Read first... digest... read again... then ask questions!

Ian
Old May 18th 2015, 7:09 pm
Permanent Legal Resident

AndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ian had a scan threw and helped with some of my questions I had.

I also noticed that I would have to leave my passport with the embassy after my interview. Do you know how long they keep it for to apply the visa stamp if approved? As this could be a slight issue as I require my passport at all times with my job.
Old May 18th 2015, 7:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Typically it should take between 3 to 7 days to get your passport back. However, it could take longer, there is just no way of knowing ahead of time.

Rene
Old May 18th 2015, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know how long they keep it for to apply the visa stamp if approved?
Usually, the courier will have your passport back to you within 4-5 days... sometimes a few days longer.

Ian
Old May 20th 2015, 11:04 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... if everything is approved as anyone had any issues getting work afterwards?

Thanks
I suggest you start a new thread over in the main US forum as that is not an immigration question.

How easy it is to get a job depends on many factors including what exactly it is you do, your experience, your qualifications, and whether your qualifications are even recognized.
Old May 21st 2015, 9:56 pm
US Citizen / UK Citizen

ScottUK1990 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats! I'm in the same boat as you (albeit a month or so ahead). Good luck with the process!
Old May 22nd 2015, 1:32 pm
Permanent Legal Resident

Thanks Scott. How's your process going at the moment?
Old May 23rd 2015, 12:46 pm
US Citizen / UK Citizen

As far as we know it's going ok. I-129F is processing in California, anticipate hearing something around September (although not holding my breath). Fingers crossed it all goes ok and there's no delay.
Old May 23rd 2015, 5:23 pm
Permanent Legal Resident

Fingers crossed for you mate. Is it California you're moving to? Just need to do my photo and send it to my fiancé and then she is sending the first stage of the paper work of
Old May 24th 2015, 2:00 pm
US Citizen / UK Citizen

No - Philadelphia. It's just the paperwork thats gone to California.
Awesome, big first step done once she's sent it off. Just a lot of waiting ahead!