Wikiposts

Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEWBIE

Originally Posted by anabella
That sounds about right... It depends on personality and background... I loved it here from day 1..
So true...if you're of an adaptable and easy going personality you'll find it much easier IMO.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:58 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maiba
Hi Stu

good luck with your interview and visa.
I am also new in this forum, currently going through DCF to hopefully get my visa and move in Q1 2009.
I have moved from Germany to the UK in 2004 to be with my now husband, and I don't regret leaving Germany (apart from the bread;, seems to be a common theme here, but let me tell you there isn't such a big difference between English and US bread to a German). I know it might be different to moving continents, but I guess the principle is the same.
I am now really looking forward to leaving the UK, and am sure I will miss certain things here but in general I am sure the positives will outweigh the negatives. After all, at least for us it is'nt a spur-of-the-moment decision, so you consciously make that choice.

Kind regards

Diana
I stifled a giggle, turning it into a sort of snort/cough.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:41 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

well german bread is often rye or pumpernickle - or the other end of the scale - small square 'tost' bread which isnt too far off from uk sliced bread.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

fogga4000 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all your thoughts guys I've found the positivity very reassuring and it gives me a bit more confidence in making the move.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fogga4000
Thanks for all your thoughts guys I've found the positivity very reassuring and it gives me a bit more confidence in making the move.
Hi. My husband moved here from Scotland in march, someone was just asking him about how he liked it the other day.

He says he really doesn't understand the culture shock, it doesn't seem that much different to him from there to here. He has spent quite a bit of time here before, but has never really commented much on differences.

I asked him re. differences... he said hmmm.... the stores stay open later.

But of course, he's a sweet young thing
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

I'm a sweet young thing too, well in an older more less sweet type way. I've been to the states nearly 30 times so do know it relatively well, but I think being somewhere and working there are two different things. I guess it's the working that scares me the most. Maybe time to retire(i'm 27).
I'm sure I'll be fine, I guess it's the wait which is probably giving me too much time to think and dwell on things.

cheers
stu
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a sweet young thing too, well in an older more less sweet type way. I've been to the states nearly 30 times so do know it relatively well, but I think being somewhere and working there are two different things. I guess it's the working that scares me the most. Maybe time to retire(i'm 27).
I'm sure I'll be fine, I guess it's the wait which is probably giving me too much time to think and dwell on things.

cheers
stu
Haha you're still a sweet young thing then - similar in age to my hubby

He does like his job btw, nothing to really complain about at all he says. He's a veterinarian, and says he doesn't really find the clients he deals with too much different from those in the UK.

Depends upon the type of work you do I suppose.

I know some Brits in real life (not from the forum) and they are all happy here and say they would never go back. A few from the forum have said the same.

It just depends on the person I think. If you are very deeply attached to your home, friends, family, chip shops, etc. it would be harder - because some things are different.

If you're young, and like the adventure and trying out new things, you very well might be quite happy. I hope that will be the case for you.

I suppose some sort of personalities are more "in synch" with the US than others as well.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:24 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

hehehe we came out here in september for one week (to househunt) and then came over properly in October (with my husbands job).
That was the first time I had ever been to any part of America. The closest I had been before was a 2 week honeymoon in Mexico 10 years ago! I came with an open mind and positive attitude saying we will stay as long as we are happy - we can always go home if we dont like it.

We felt at home very quickly and knew given the choice that we would not want to go back. I am also not as young as you (im 38). So I dont think age or experience of the country is the ultimate thing that helps - it is something in your attitude or personality. It either handles change well or it doesnt. It can either bend and live with the differences or it can rub and cause friction. It can either work hard to maintain old friendships back home and make new ones over here - or it can let them slide.

There are things about America I dont like and things that scare me (like health insurance) but there are (different) things like that to deal with in every place you live so again its dealing with the difficult and enjoying the best bits of anywhere.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MsElui
hehehe we came out here in september for one week (to househunt) and then came over properly in October (with my husbands job).
That was the first time I had ever been to any part of America. The closest I had been before was a 2 week honeymoon in Mexico 10 years ago! I came with an open mind and positive attitude saying we will stay as long as we are happy - we can always go home if we dont like it.

We felt at home very quickly and knew given the choice that we would not want to go back. I am also not as young as you (im 38). So I dont think age or experience of the country is the ultimate thing that helps - it is something in your attitude or personality. It either handles change well or it doesnt. It can either bend and live with the differences or it can rub and cause friction. It can either work hard to maintain old friendships back home and make new ones over here - or it can let them slide.

There are things about America I dont like and things that scare me (like health insurance) but there are (different) things like that to deal with in every place you live so again its dealing with the difficult and enjoying the best bits of anywhere.
I didn't mean to imply age was the determining factor.

Just something my hubby has said - he thought if someone was older they might be more attached to the way things are at home. Certainly doesn't apply to everyone.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I didn't mean to imply age was the determining factor.

Just something my hubby has said - he thought if someone was older they might be more attached to the way things are at home. Certainly doesn't apply to everyone.
IMO it's easier to adjust the younger you are. For one thing you are not leaving as much history/baggage/memories behind.

I also think generally men adjust easier than women. Women tend to dwell on things...I think men can push things to one side.

Of course personality also plays a big part. IMO if you have a flexible, easy going personality it's easier to adjust. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 16th 2008 at 2:26 am. Reason: corrected typo
Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

One thing I havent really mentioned(wrongly perhaps) is that i'm tremendously excited by the move as well. I think I'll be somewhat reliant on my fiance's friends and family to help me adjust, but they've all been brilliant with me anyway.
Certain things like you pointed out health insurance does scare me but at the same time I sort of think well my fiance has dealt with it all this time as do millions of others so I try not to get too daunted by that side of things.
I'm a very easy going person and pretty flexible so hopefully should be ok. I guess it's just a big step which takes you out of your comfort zone, which I havent been for some time. So on a personal level it's a challenge as much as anything.

stu
Old Jul 16th 2008, 5:08 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
But of course, he's a sweet young thing

Mine's a crusty old fart and he LOVES it here. He found it easy to adapt and the people friendly. There are any number of things that he thinks are done 'better' over here or are more sensible. He doesn't miss any foods except maybe a pork pie every now and again.

One thing I havent really mentioned(wrongly perhaps) is that i'm tremendously excited by the move as well. I think I'll be somewhat reliant on my fiance's friends and family to help me adjust, but they've all been brilliant with me anyway.
Certain things like you pointed out health insurance does scare me but at the same time I sort of think well my fiance has dealt with it all this time as do millions of others so I try not to get too daunted by that side of things.
I'm a very easy going person and pretty flexible so hopefully should be ok. I guess it's just a big step which takes you out of your comfort zone, which I havent been for some time. So on a personal level it's a challenge as much as anything.

stu
stu, I suspect you're going to have a great experience, for the reasons I highlighted above. Throw yourself into it and remember that the US is a huge place. If you don't like the spot you land in, there are thousands of others, all different from each other, to try out too.
I always felt that my DH's happiness here is due to his positive attitude and a willingness to try new things. One reason I felt comfortable with him moving here was because he'd lived outside the UK before and liked all the different places he'd been, and his open minded 'tude toward the experience helped him a lot.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
Wait till ya baby comes along even with insurance the bills can be

I had to go see a surgeon earlier this week, whist in the waiting room there was a woman who had NO insurance... OMG I couldn't even begin to imagine the stress of that!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

madeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud of

When ever I come on the forum and I have only been in the USA 4 Weeks but watching it from afar for a few months, I always made myself feel better about the negitive postings by thinking it is like Shirley Valentine...my mum used to talk to the micowave and when she saw Shirley Valentine she knew she wasn't alone, I thought they where both mad!!! until I took a years matertity leave and found myself talking to the washing machine...and then I found this forum I can rant and rave no one knows me. I can be nice or angry; I can just get it off my chest, just as I would have done in the Uk but I have a place for it, and people respond which makes me less of a sad loser...
Of course I could have found forums in the uk, but they would be all mums like me, politicial, religious, dr who fan ect the good thing about this is...I feel we are a real mixed bunch some you will like, some who are funny and the pain rude, and even some of them can be funny, you will get replies which hurt you and you will get those which will help you or make you laugh, but quite frankly its better than talking to a fridge...hope this helps, mum of two without parents to talk to...
Old Jul 16th 2008, 5:24 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Mine's a crusty old fart and he LOVES it here. He found it easy to adapt and the people friendly. There are any number of things that he thinks are done 'better' over here or are more sensible. He doesn't miss any foods except maybe a pork pie every now and again.
When is he going to get posting privileges?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.