Wikiposts

Old Jul 13th 2008, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

fogga4000 will become famous soon enough
Default NEWBIE

Hey guys. I'm currently going through a k1 visa to marry my fiance. I have my interview this tuesday. I've been reading this quite a lot over the past few months and I tend to see quite a bit of moaning and general sadness. I'm sure most of it is just homesickness but in general do people regret moving to the states or do the positives outweigh the negatives. I know theirs no definitive answer to this question but just wanted to get some opinions or comparisons to quality of life in the states and the UK(hopefully moving to NYC).

Thanks guys
stu
Old Jul 13th 2008, 1:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEWBIE

Originally Posted by fogga4000
Hey guys. I'm currently going through a k1 visa to marry my fiance. I have my interview this tuesday. I've been reading this quite a lot over the past few months and I tend to see quite a bit of moaning and general sadness. I'm sure most of it is just homesickness but in general do people regret moving to the states or do the positives outweigh the negatives. I know theirs no definitive answer to this question but just wanted to get some opinions or comparisons to quality of life in the states and the UK(hopefully moving to NYC).

Thanks guys
stu
IMO the younger you are...the less ties you have...the better you will adjust to your new life.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

I'm 27, have lots of friends and family but I'm hoping they will visit as often as possible. Slightly concerned about finding work and settling in as i'm pretty quiet and new yorkers tend to be quite brash and up front as well as very self confident.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

My case is a bit different, because I moved from Canada, not the UK. But I haven't regretted coming to the USA for one second. I've been in the USA for nearly 15 years and I'm not interested in moving back.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I've been reading this quite a lot over the past few months and I tend to see quite a bit of moaning and general sadness. I'm sure most of it is just homesickness but in general do people regret moving to the states or do the positives outweigh the negatives.
Here is my theory, I have said it before and I am sure I will say it again .
You tend to find a lot of nagging, whining, negativity (fill in the blank) on these boards because it is a venting point.

Most of the posters family and friends have never emigrated before and whilst (hopfully) most family/friends are understanding they do not truely know how it feels, the ups and downs of everyday life as an expat. Personally for me I try not to say too much to my American family and friends in fear of offending them. Most people here have been there and got the t-shirt and by posting here I know that I will get a true understanding response.

My point is, you may want to keep this in mind when you read the negative threads/post.

Ash

Edited to add: welcome to BE
Old Jul 13th 2008, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Nigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really nice

Having arrived here on a K-1 it was difficult to adjust but you will.
Unfortunately things didn't work out for me and my ex and I could have returned to the UK but chose to make a go of it.
Now 5 years later I have a new love, one I will marry in the future and a great career that I have become very successful at more than I ever could in the UK.
This is the land of opportunities, it's all those stories, feelings and wishes.................It's down to YOU to make your life happy.
If you are not happy with yourself then you'll be unhappy where ever you are.

OK sorry for the rambling but as Ash UK/US said....

"You tend to find a lot of nagging, whining, negativity (fill in the blank) on these boards because it is a venting point"

You'll find out it is ok here, mind you I live in Texas and if you can survive NYC you'll be ok anywhere. It might just seem a little slower if you move to some of the lower states!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

thanks guys, really appreciate your response

stu
Old Jul 13th 2008, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Maiba will become famous soon enoughMaiba will become famous soon enough

Hi Stu

good luck with your interview and visa.
I am also new in this forum, currently going through DCF to hopefully get my visa and move in Q1 2009.
I have moved from Germany to the UK in 2004 to be with my now husband, and I don't regret leaving Germany (apart from the bread;, seems to be a common theme here, but let me tell you there isn't such a big difference between English and US bread to a German). I know it might be different to moving continents, but I guess the principle is the same.
I am now really looking forward to leaving the UK, and am sure I will miss certain things here but in general I am sure the positives will outweigh the negatives. After all, at least for us it is'nt a spur-of-the-moment decision, so you consciously make that choice.

Kind regards

Diana
Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:43 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

ive been here 9 months and loving it so far. (dependant wife on husbands working visa).

This forum is just like any other. Some posts are sheer genius, some hilarious, some really interesting, some dull, pathetic, whiny, rude etc. You just read the ones that can offer you something (be it a laugh or information etc) and skip over the ones that dont. After a while you will tune into certain posters and know that you will enjoy most of what they write and find some that are the opposite and that you skip everything they say.
Because its anon. people do tend to let go a bit and feel they can take everything to the extreme - but again you take the rough with the smooth.

Hope the interview etc goes well and that you enjoy your coming adventure in the US.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:35 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
Because its anon. people do tend to let go a bit and feel they can take everything to the extreme .
OMG ..that's shocking ,....
Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:36 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 27, have lots of friends and family but I'm hoping they will visit as often as possible. Slightly concerned about finding work and settling in as i'm pretty quiet and new yorkers tend to be quite brash and up front as well as very self confident.
You soon get fed up with visitors living off you ..
You look forward to them going ..
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
Some posts are sheer genius,
Ah shucks, you're too kind.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

mojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud of

I've been in Ohio since the end of March and I'm really enjoying my life here .....

The only downside is that I miss my friends and not knowing when I'll see them again is a real pain in the bum ...... But apart from that things are going well. I'm hooked on baseball (something that I never thought I would be) and it feels like I'm slowly gaining a new identity over here ....

Good luck with the interview

Paul
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:13 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I'd echo the comments that some people come here specifically because they need to vent, need to say and hear something that relates to a particularly bad day they're having. I've met some other expats who have 'made the break' and would never even think of coming to a messageboard or even socializing with other expats--they're more than happy in their new life.

It's true with all expats. The US expats in the UK have a special forum just for homesickness in which they whine and complain about things you are probably more than used to and enjoy.

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/

My only advice is come here with an open mind and prepare for this trip as if you were going to the other side of the world. Think of it like moving to Tibet--foreign culture, customs, language, etc. You'll then be far more surprised at the similarities rather than shocked by the differences.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:04 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
IMO the younger you are...the less ties you have...the better you will adjust to your new life.
That sounds about right... It depends on personality and background... I loved it here from day 1..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.